PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 15, 2011
For all you guys that use Zippo lighters on a regular basis: Do any of you guys have any trouble lighting the last bits of your pipe bowl with a Zippo, especially on your larger pipes? I have really started to like the reliability and the way that the Zippo lights when I need a lighter, but getting down to the bottom of some of my larger pipes has been met with mixed results. So do you guys have this problem, and if you have/had this problem, any tips or tricks to rectify the dilemma? Any advice would be appreciated.

rosney

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 12, 2012
Im no expert, but I do use a zippo on a regular basis. Its the regular zippo, not the kind modified for a pipe. If I am having a hard time getting a flame to the bottom sometimes I angle the pipe and lighter so its more a side pull than trying to pull it down. I dont know if that makes any sense but its the only way I could think to describe it. Another thing I noticed is when I am trying to pull the flame a long ways I tend to blow out my nose a little which effects that tall yellow flame you need to get it to the bottom of the bowl. Maybe keep an eye on that. Hope this helps some.
Jake

cmkiefer

Lurker
Sep 7, 2012
Ontonagon, MI
I use the Zippo with the pipe chimney. If that's what you've got, make sure the chimney is flat against the rim of your pipe. This will help with the deeper draw. Also make sure you're wick is adjusted properly for plenty of flame. Should basically fill (lengthwise) the opening in the chimney.

flyguy

Lifer
Nov 20, 2012
I also own a zippo pipe lighter. This and a slight taste problem from the lighter fluid are the lighters drawbacks. I usually switch to a butane lighter or matches for the bottom of the bowl.

cmkiefer

Lurker
Sep 7, 2012
Ontonagon, MI
I personally have never had a problem with the taste of the lighter fluid, though I've heard of it from others as well. Maybe depends on the fluid you're using. I use the Zippo labeled fluid. Who really makes it I don't know.

flyguy

Lifer
Nov 20, 2012
I use Zippo fluid also. I can taste it but it doesn't bother me much after the first couple of puffs. I am not about to give my Zippo away!

winton

Lifer
Oct 20, 2010
When I first got my Zippo pipe lighter, I put 1/4" of tobacco in my deepest pipe. No problem lighting it. Obviously if your pipe is 3" deep, you might have a problem.

martiniman

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 6, 2012
I left the zippo for that reason, i tended to overdraw to get the flame to reach the end of the bowl and eat hot ash.

I went to a Xikar Scribe, looks like a pen.

Xikar scribe
Under $40 with lifetime warranty.

hodirty

Lifer
Jan 10, 2013
I frequently use my zippos. I have the pipe lighter insides in another case, and it always works fine for me. The flame should be at least an inch an a half tall. if not it may need filled or a wick adjustment. no problems with fluid taste for me either.

bobby46

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 11, 2012
I was gifted an inscribed standard zippo by my daughter, and I feel I must always use it. I drilled the large hole in the chimney which mimics the pipe version photos. I have the wick pulled up to the center of the new side hole. The wick tip is also leaning out the side hole a bit, toward the waiting pipe rim. After striking, the lighter's side lies flat on the pipe rim during draw. Dottle in 2.5 inch bowls always lights. Sure, I don't like that first puff of lighter-fluid vapor, but it's the best windproof, and my daughter and I smile at each other after that distinctive lid click.

pipelighters

Lurker
Feb 27, 2013
Mississippi
I have a few different lighters, but, have not had a problem with my Zippo (pipe lighter style) getting to the bottom of the bowl. For the fluid taste a couple of suggestions:
1. Once you open the top "wave" it a few times to let some fumes dissipate.

2. Once you light it, allow it a couple of seconds to burn off some of the fumes.
Immediately after filling with fluid the lighter has a tendency to have more fluid taste than normal. But, these couple of steps should help.
PL

bobpnm

Lifer
Jul 24, 2012
Panama City, Florida
I use a Zippo with with the regular insert. When necessary, I tilt the lighter sideways and the pipe sideways to meet it. Problem solved and keep on smoking.

Status
Not open for further replies.