PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

lotechjoe

Lurker
Mar 25, 2016
When I smoked cigarettes, (I quit them in '98) I usually carried a Zippo. I liked it for what it accomplished but if I ever accidentally over filled it, it would leave a red burn mark on my leg where it leaked through my pants pocket. I'm considering getting another Zippo and would be careful not to overfill it. But I'm wondering if anyone here has any other negative issues with Zippos. I've heard that some don't like the taste of lighter fluid in their light-up, but I don't think that would be an issue with me.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
I've been using a Zippo pipe lighter for many years. It never fails and I don't notice the taste of the fluid. I let the flame go for a few seconds and then I'm good to light.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
The only time In use my zippo pipe lighter is when there is a serious wind when I am smoking outdoors. I am not a fan of the flame as it is hard to control around a pipe.
I used to burn my leg quite often as a kid hated the feeling.

stvalentine

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 13, 2015
Northern Germany
As it seems you will love the Zippo or you will hate it. I was a big fan of Zippos when I was still smoking cigarettes but it didn't work for me with the pipe. A butane flame seems to light the tobacco much faster and in a more controlled way. Guess it will have to go into the electronic bay soon...

ophiuchus

Lifer
Mar 25, 2016
I prefer matches indoors, but outdoors (and relights) the Zippo is a reliable taskmaster. If you let the flame burn for a second or two after striking, the fluid doesn't affect flavor significantly. The flame isn't so hot that rim scorching isn't an issue. (I'm aware plenty of pipe smokers have success with an array of butanes; I'm a little too clumsy for them myself.)

jazz

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 17, 2014
UK
As long as I use good quality fuel and don't over fill I never taste the fluid when lighting. I made the mistake of putting poor quality fuel in mine once and will never do it again. Some seem to have trouble with theirs but I never have. Use the pipe insert model and make sure the wick is not too long and all should be good.

johnnyiii

Can't Leave
Nov 30, 2013
hertford nc
I use a zippo... and love it. Its the closest to a match in that you are drawing the flame down versus trying to bend the flame with butane. You do though get a more thorough light with the other options I think.

jvnshr

Staff member
Sep 4, 2015
Baku, Azerbaijan
I always carry a Zippo with me (cigarette smoker). I bought my first Zippo in 2013. It was 500 Millionth Zippo Armor Limited
500M_Zippo_armor-0.jpg

and used it until 2014. I bought my second Zippo in 2014 (Black Matte with Zippo logo) and since then I am using it
127_P_1433887642267.jpg

oh last year I used this one for a while as well (1999 Marlboro Brass Zippo)
0138_resize.JPG

I have 28 Zippos right now and I am planning to collect more. For pipes I use matches indoors. I hate smoking pipes outdoors, if I have to smoke I will use matches as well. If it is too windy, I won't be smoking a pipe anyway.

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
Despite their shortcomings, the fact remains that a Zippo is the only non-frustrating way to get a pipe lit outdoors even in a mild breeze, other than a torch-style...which btw is totally possible to use without scorching the rim if you come straight down at the center of the bowl, take one or two quick pulls, get out, and repeat.
Indoors, Bics or free matches work fine. So I never saw any reason, other than vanity which I don't possess an ounce of, to spend more than a couple bucks on a butane lighter.

rolldog

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 4, 2013
I use my 3 Zippo lighters in all my pipe smoking. Keep them full, especially before you travel with them. I keep one by my smoking chair at home and two in my travel case.
Cheers
RD

mikestanley

Lifer
May 10, 2009
Akron area of Ohio
I keep my Zippo in my car. I bring it in on Friday after work and usually fill it that night or on Saturday> I leave it sit over night (upside down) and put in the car on Sunday. So, it usually isn't in my pocket. I have gotten a few of those pocket burns, they suck. I use a match for the charring light because I can't get a reliable one with the Zippo. It is the only down side to a Zippo for me.
Mike S.

grue

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 9, 2016
I got a Zippo with pipe insert today. How the hell could I smoke without one so far? Excellent!

coffinmaker

Can't Leave
Jan 20, 2016

My son David, while aboard the USS Harry E.Yarnell CC17, gave me these. Top one is solid brass with dates 1932 - 1988 stamped on the bottom where the Zippo name is. On the right hand side is a black one and the other is a knife and lighter set, knife is a Zippo also. All have the ship's logo. I only carry the brass lighter that has the pipe hole insert.

gmjabsky

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 3, 2015
Zippo is a great, time-proven design. Simple, user-serviceable, reliable, and durable. I'm with the OP, naphtha on skin is a bad combo. Learning that lesson and that a gentle draw allows more complete burn of the fuel and minimizes any off flavor, I expect mine to a few more lifetimes.

instymp

Lifer
Jul 30, 2012
Coffin, beautiful, they last forever, had them for 40+ years, use them daily. Something goes wrong, send them back & they fix them for free. Great company.

Status
Not open for further replies.