PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

winton

Lifer
Oct 20, 2010
I have heard about Zippo's repair policy and have wanted to put them to the test. Recently I bought a Zippo lighter off of eBay. It is for Punxsutawney, PA, the Home of the Groundhog. Sorry, no picture. Photobucket is not behaving. I sent the lighter to Zippo on 3/2, requesting a pipe insert. Today, 3/25 it came back to me with a new insert, and the original insert, and a set of flints. The communication was very friendly and helpful. There turn time was faster than they promised. I told them I wanted to have it back in time for the Chicago Pipe Show at the beginning of May.
Overall, I am very happy with their service. I look forward to using this lighter for a long time.
http://www.zippo.com/customercare/repairs.aspx
Winton

simnettpratt

Lifer
Nov 21, 2011
Any advice on what I'm doing wrong with mine? I don't want to send it back for 'repair', because I beieve I'm doing something wrong. It's a Windproof model that takes lighter fluid, not butane. It's an armor model brand new for Christmas. I'm turning it upside down, flipping up the little white fuzzy thing like it says to, and filling it with genuine Zippo lighter fluid until I can see the fluid rise to the top.
The next day, it's empty and won't light without another refill. I keep the lid closed, it's indoors; can't figure out what's wrong. I've used up about half my can of lighter fluid already (2oz used from a 4oz can), so I don't think I'm not filling it up all the way. I can't see anything physically wrong with it; the lid seems tight, I'm getting plenty of spark, the wick works (it lights fine when I refill it with fluid, it just runs out on it's own just sitting there in about 24 hours).
PS It does not have the pipe insert, but is customized with some engraving, glued on pins, and a 550 paracord lanyard loop with a .30 cal pipe tamper (sort of).
zippo2-1-1.jpg

winton

Lifer
Oct 20, 2010
I would go to their website. If you can't find your answer in the FAQ, then e-mail them directly. They are very helpful.

gmwolford

Lifer
Jul 26, 2012
WV, USA
I very light "gasket" layer of petroleum jelly on the outside of the lighter, about 1/2" up from the bottom may help seal it better and stop the evaporation. Also, I don't fill mine Ali in one shot: give her some "juice" and let her sit 30 minutes of so and then top it off so it has a chance to absorb better.

topd

Lifer
Mar 23, 2012
Emerson, Arkansas
I have had several lighters repaired by Zippo over the years. They always seem to go out of thier

way to do a good job. I've always been pleased.
@simnettpratt. I wonder if your fluid might be 'wicking out' through the para-cord and evaporating.

simnettpratt

Lifer
Nov 21, 2011
Didn't mean to hijack this thread too badly. I've been all over the Zippo website with no word on my issue :(
@Greg: it doesn't have a hole on the outside like a butane lighter. You take the inside out the top and fill it from the bottom. I'll try the fill and pause and see though.
@TopD: I don't keep the para-cord attached; the .30 cal is just for style points, and it gets in the way.
Looks like I'll be emailing Zippo after I try Greg's method, but I bet they'll just say send it in and we'll look at it. Unlimited lifetime warrantees are always good though; think Sears Craftsman tools or Taurus firearms.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
That's really cool they fixed it so fast.

I think greg may have been reffering to the bottom of the outside of the insert. it will great a better seal and prevent fluid for escaping as a gas around the insert and out of the pipe body
+1
My zippo loses fuel faster than I'd like, but sounds like yours might need a better seal. Sending it to zippo may be the ticket.

withnail

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 30, 2011
United Kingdom
They always provide a first class service. I posted mine back from the UK with only the address info they stamp on the bottom (in the days before the web) and it arrived back a couple of weeks later, better than new.
@Simnettpratt New Zippos can take a couple of fills before the wadding is fully soaked in fuel. After that they should be good for over a week before evaporation becomes a problem (and usually a lot longer in most climates). It sounds like there is a problem with your lighter if it repeatedly looses fuel over night. I'd be tempted to send it back - they replace the insert and reattach the lid if it's loose. One more thing to try - if you know anyone else with a zippo, see if you can borrow their inner workings to see if the same thing happens.

yadan

Can't Leave
Dec 23, 2012
Central Galilee, Israel
I'll gladly add my vote with those who've experienced great service from Zippo. a few years ago a Zippo my wife had bought me for my birthday just wouldn't light. I sent it to them from Israel, and it came back in a couple of weeks with a new insert that has since been working perfectly for years.

simnettpratt

Lifer
Nov 21, 2011
Thanks Greg, and thanks Josh and Six; what Greg says makes sense now and I just tried it. Roth, I'd read the pdf but thanks for sending it. Yeah, it'd be easier to light a pipe with if it had the pipe attachment; we'll see. Right now, I live alone and get to smoke indoors, so I can save it for fishing or if I run out of matches. I just realized my house has no way of producing flame; the stove has those flush heated areas things on top and the hot water heater's electric, so if I needed fire I'd be out in the back yard trying to Les Stroud a fire bow.
Zippo lights great right now; we'll leave it till tomorrow and check again.

dochudson

Lifer
May 11, 2012
pull the insert out of the lighter and fill as per instructions

before reinserting insert

around the inside of the case smear a decent amount of vaseline.

insert the insert forcing the vaselone down and filling any gaps between the insert and the case.

Status
Not open for further replies.