PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

leparker

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 22, 2014
Weyers Cave, VA
When I smoked cigarettes I always used a brass Zippo lighter, had it for years. I gotta thinking I could get a pipe insert for it and use it on pipes. I contacted Zippo via email to see if I could buy a pipe insert only from them. They wrote me back and said to send to them and they will put the pipe insert in and send me the old insert and all it will cost me is the postage to send to them. That's what I call customer service.

mrmotoyoshi

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 8, 2014
Motoyoshi, Japan
I had a Zippo with a regular insert. I spoke to Zippo in America and they got me in touch with "Maru-Kai" a Japanese company that is affiliated with Zippos in Japan(Osaka). I also only had to pay for shipping to them and they not only gave me a pipe insert, they changed the hinge so that it opens better as well!
Excellent customer service and it's a company like this that I will continue to support. Gotta vote with your dollars.

andystewart

Lifer
Jan 21, 2014
That's fantastic customer service! I've got a Zippo pipe lighter so don't need an insert, but now I know what to do if it ever goes wrong!
Andy

pipejunky

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 16, 2014
For my birthday a buddy of mine gifted me a straight up pipe Zippo which i use on all my briars and cobs and it works great. Normally charring lights are done with a stick match when possible. I do get a brief taste of fluid if i have to use it in a light up.

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
Zippo is a great company that stands behind their product. They don't care if the lighter is 50 years old or 5 years old. If you send it back to them with the noted problem they'll fix it free of charge. If you just want a pipe insert then they'll do that too. I had them fix my pipe lighter about a year ago, and it cost me all of $2 and it was like getting a brand new lighter.

crazypipe

Lifer
Sep 23, 2012
The Best
2cnuoso.jpg

rangerearthpig

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 5, 2014
I don't own a zippo, so I'm not familiar with the pipe insert. What is it, and what does it do? Does it alter the flame direction or something?

ocpsdan

Can't Leave
May 7, 2012
Michigan
Ranger: the pipe insert redirects the flame. Instead of having a flame through the top of the insert, that hole is blocked and two circles are cut out of the longest sides of the insert. You invert the lighter sideways and draw the flame down when you draw on your pipe. I use one exclusively and love it. Sure, you get a bit of fluid taste, but it never lasts very long.
This should help: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r-fU34PPREM

edgreen

Lifer
Aug 28, 2013
+1 for the Zippo pipe lighter/insert. I have several and they work great. I never really taste the fluid on lighting. I switch the inserts between some of my favorite Zippos.

leparker

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 22, 2014
Weyers Cave, VA
Someone told if you don't overfill with fluid you won't get the fuel taste. I used with cigarettes for 40 years and never noticed the taste. Maybe I just got used to it.

erichbaumer

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 4, 2012
Illinois
I didn't send mine in, opting to buy a pipe model, switch the inserts and give the pipe ligther case with normal insert to a friend, keeping the case I wanted but getting the right insert. That lighter is one of my most prized posessions, and is pretty much always on me.

craig94yj

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 24, 2013
Waterford, Ct
I have used Zippo lighters since Uncle Sam said no butane lighters during basic training in 1983. The only way I replace a Zippo is when I lose it (bottom of the pond etc.). When I quit smoking cigarettes 2 years ago my Zippo went in a drawer. When I started up the pipe last year, it was on this forum that I was reminded that Zippo made a pipe insert. My first route was by way of the Thunderbird butane insert because I had just bought a giant can of butane for my cigar lighter. Not a bad product, but not a Zippo. Next was a NOS pipe insert from the closed Zippo Niagra plant I scored off ebay. Works good, but I noticed it did not come with the chimney cap. Last week I ordered the Zippo Armor pipe lighter. The Armor is 1.5 times the thickness of the case walls compared to a regular Zippo. It just feels like a manly solid lighter. I absolutely love it and I am happy to be using a Zippo on a daily basis again. I fill mine daily with a 5 second squirt of fluid and this keeps it from over filling or drying out.

titus

Might Stick Around
Nov 18, 2013
Canada
Proud owner of a Zippo with pipe attachment. So many folks on the forum suggested it. Very impressed.

thehappypiper

Can't Leave
Feb 27, 2014
I own a few std zippos, one Peterson zippo and an insert. I love the design. It is very American- basic but durable and efficient, with nothing extra edded. I do however find there is a lack of control with a liquid fuel flame. The smaller, more directional flame of a gas lighter allows me to circle round the bowl, rather than having a jumpy, flickering flame which is more likely to char. What I usually do is rest the chamber of the zippo on top of the bowl then draw it down. I have used them at times, but prefer a disposable gas lighter, even though I make a point of taking a zippo with me when I leave the house.

Status
Not open for further replies.