PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.

hooboy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Over the past I have tried several of the Zippo inserts that replace the old insert With

the butane ones. I have NEVER found one that was reliable in all this time .

So my query.. is there one that is reliable that I missed in my search If so I would very much

like to know what it is.

I love a zippo and IF it was not the lighter fluid smell it carries I would be content to just

keep on keeping on!

hoo
(Edited title, please see rule number 9.

Thank you, Robert.)

sallow

Lifer
Jun 30, 2013
Let it burn for a few moments before you put the flame on the tobacco. Much less smell.

rfernand

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 2, 2015
No luck with inserts over here - but Zippo makes a pipe lighter that works great.

graydawn

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 7, 2014
Matches never fail.....except when windy......or humid.....or break, then it's the Dunhill.

brass

Lifer
Jun 4, 2014
United States
As Sallow says, let the lighter burn a few moments before using. Also, being careful not to overfill may help. If you notice a brief flame in the cap/lid when lighting, you probably have too much fuel.
I've given up on butane lighters and rely on Zippos and kitchen strike anywhere matches. I keep strike any wheres in my pipe cases so I don't have to worry about fuel evaporating. I still keep Djeep lighters scattered here and there for backup and convenience.

brewshooter

Lifer
Jun 2, 2011
I have two of the Thunderbird inserts and it's a real love hate relationship with them. Not sure I'd buy another one.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
After burning the Zippo for a couple of seconds, hold the flame further away than usual, and use breath to suck the tip of the flame to just above the tobacco.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
rfernand: The third party butane is not the "Zippo" pipe lighter insert. You can send the Zippo to Zippo for the pipe insert. Quite possibly you can request one from them w/o shipping the lighter to them. As many have pointed out, let the wick burn for a moment before applying it to the bowl.

rfernand

Oct 2, 2015
My point is that the third party butane inserts let me down. The Zippo pipe lighter works fine as is. Good to hear they make the insert available for people who like to reuse their Zippo cases.
Or perhaps you meant @hooboy?

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
It's not a matter of reusing Zippos, it's a matter of Zippos with the pipe chimney being sometimes hard to locate. Zippo will gladly provide the pipe insert free. I have a very old Zippo, a hand me down from WWII, for which Zippo provided a pipe insert free upon my request. They've also repaired the hinge, free of charge, more than once.

hakchuma

Jan 13, 2014
Michigan, USA
I have the thunderbird zippo insert and it has been working for over a year and a half. No problems yet and I stopped buying zippo fluid

Sep 27, 2012
Upland, CA.
which Zippo provided a pipe insert free upon my request. They've also repaired the hinge, free of charge, more than once.
You gotta love that about them... they are awesome in that they will forever repair a zippo free of charge if you ever manage to damage it. They've fixed two of my zippo's in the last 20 years.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
I'm not sure I like the smell but, it is a reassuring odor from the past. Also, I've never understood why so many people have trouble with: let the acrid, if it bothers you, taste burn off before applying the flame to the tobacco. Seems to be very easy advice to follow.

Sep 27, 2012
Upland, CA.
I've never understood why so many people have trouble with
Im quite positive that you have noticed that there is no shortage of people over complicating things in this world.
You are correct that the reason I like the smell and taste is a reassurance thing... it always reminded me of my grandfather as he always used a zippo as well.
Oh and the sound... that sound to me is so soothing, like the sound of a flag clinking in the wind. ... again reassurances.

hooboy

Starting to Get Obsessed
I agree on the match for the sulpher smell to disperse it needs to burn a tad before it is used .

BUT for me the lighter fluid smell and taste does NOT go away or lessen . I have tried all advice, letting burn a while , holding farther from the tobacco , holding pipe sideways where the flame is away from the tobacco.

It still carries the oder to the pipe for me!

It seems I am the only one that has this issue. That is why I having 3 Zippos prefer a soft fame butane.

Not to insult zippos and their owners BUT describing my objections.

By the way the most perfect, pleasant light I have ever used is a burning ember from the fireplace

hoo

Status
Not open for further replies.