PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

nsfisher

Lifer
Nov 26, 2011
Nova Scotia, Canada
Aquired a new pipe Zippo 2 weeks ago and purchased the fuel in the black can. I am finding that I have a funny taste in mouth since using it. The roof of mouth is becoming rough as well. I am assuming it is a reaction to the fuel fumes. Is this correct?

jchaplick

Lifer
May 8, 2011
Same thing happened to me, I purchased a thunderbird pipe insert, works perfect, I recomend them 100%. I got mine for like 8 bucks on amazon

jaysin

Lifer
Feb 8, 2012
Indiana
I dont have that problem but I would say it is. Look for tripple refined fluid should help. most lighter fluid is left with alot of impurties in it. The thunderbird is a butain unit for the zippo case

rickpal14

Lifer
Jun 9, 2011
This lighter came pre-made specifically for pipe lighting. Insert included
jchaplick means the butane insert sold separately by Thunderbird. I too didn't like the taste even with the "new" fuel and have the Thunderbirds in all 8 of my pipe Zippos.
I also have their torch inserts in my cigars Zippos....

jchaplick

Lifer
May 8, 2011
They really are worth it, things have a great warranty, carrya decent amount of gas, and they still fit in the zippo case

nsfisher

Lifer
Nov 26, 2011
Nova Scotia, Canada
OK now I understand mate, thanks for the tip, I shall look into that for sure. I wonder if they will ship to Canada. No one else will ship a lighter to Canada. Maybe the insert is different rules.

shaintiques

Lifer
Jul 13, 2011
Georgia
Yeah I have a zippo pipe lighter too, but I can taste the lighter fluid, so I normally use my butane. I'll have to look into this refined kind, maybe that will help.

auspipe

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 19, 2012
Australia
I use a regular zippo (non pipe-model) and do not get any taste. I let it burn for a few seconds before lighting the pipe. Works great, dont see a need for the pipe insert really.

winton

Lifer
Oct 20, 2010
I enjoy my Zippo. I let it burn for a few seconds before lighting the pipe. I could not detect a change in taste.
I heard complaints about not being able to draw the flame down to the bottom for a relight. I took my deepest bowl and put about 1/4" of tobacco in it. No problem lighting. Have you tried this yet?
Winton

colorduke

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 5, 2011
Letting it burn off a few seconds is the best thing to do,also i use ronson fluid which is now made by zippo.

carlosviet

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 23, 2012
I wait one or two seconds before lighting the zippo, and I let the flame burn a couple of seconds before applying to the tobacco. I have not tasted any fumes, regardless of the fluid used...

grafikchaos

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 12, 2012
Chapin, SC
+1 on waiting a few seconds before lighting. This has worked very well for me and has made me fall in love with my Zippo.

taerin

Lifer
May 22, 2012
Black zippo lighter fluid never adversely affected the flavor of any of my tobacco or my mouth, however I am switching over to the T-bird insert because I am tired of always running out of fluid because they are not airtight and those inserts are.

carlosviet

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 23, 2012
There is a downside to change the zippo into butane: Fumes, or not fumes, the traditional Zippo Flame is a lot colder than butane flame. Just a little bit colder than a match. You can pass the zippo flame over a wood a couple of times, and not leave a mark. The butane flame will mark, very, very fast.

anduril8

Lurker
May 10, 2012
I almost exclusively use my pipe insert zippo, many types or fuel both cheap and expensive. Never tasted fluid. Zippo's really the best option for me as its very windy where I live and I mostly smoke outside.
For helping with fluid evaporation I rub a little paraffin wax on the sides of the insert before placing it in the case to make a better seal. Iv'e gone 3 weeks without using my zippo and it lit right up and lasted 4 or 5 bowls before i needed to refill it.

barkar

Lifer
Apr 17, 2012
ronson fluid is the best in my opinion. I never thought I had a problem with tasting the lighter fluid until I made a point of going a whole week without using it. After the week was up I used the lighter again and could really taste the fluid. So now I only use the lighter when its to windy for matches or if I'm out of matches.

Status
Not open for further replies.