PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

howink

Lurker
Mar 24, 2015
Using a piece of the great advice on this forum, i picked up a Zippo windproof to light my newly rekindled (sorry) interest in pipes. I soon understood several members' observation that the standard insert isn't quite ideal for pipes. Drawing on another recommendation here, I contacted Zippo customer service, and sure enough, they were happy to receive my lighter and replace the insert with one better suited to pipes. Well, within two weeks, as others have reported, I received my lighter with both the new and old inserts - at no charge. Also, a nice note from Zippo.
Tell me, what other American or other company would provide free service on an item that cost only $10? It's a relic of a time gone by and values rarely in evidence today. Count me as a lifelong Zippo customer and enthusiast.
And just to pass on - I find that Zippo lighter fluid has less of the petrol odor than other brands.
HoWink

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
Zippo is a great company. I was sad when my first Zippo, a lighter I purchased when I was 12 (or maybe 13 or 14), was stolen. Fortunately for me, Zippo quality appears to be very consistent over time.

jackswilling

Lifer
Feb 15, 2015
Completely agree. Zippo is a great American institution and customer service is beyond excellent.

docspipe

Might Stick Around
Dec 12, 2014
I switched over to a Zippo pipe lighter about three years ago or so(smoking a pipe for 40 years now) and I never looked back. I don't mind the frequent need to refill, adjust the wick, replace flints/padding, etc. It's all well worth it for me. Lights well (and holds the flame) in a wind, too. I use Ronson fuel and never have I experienced any "lighter fluid taste." I'm completely satisfied.

Jun 4, 2014
I agree, Zippo is a great company. We found ourselves near Bradford, PA and visited the Zippo Museum, it was interesting to see how the Zippo was developed.

brudnic1

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 13, 2012
Wonderful company and

Product. Love my brass pipe lighter Zippo.

stickframer

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 11, 2015
I was thrilled with how quickly and easily I was able to request a pipe insert for my zippo. They just mailed me the insert; I did not have to send my lighter in. Zippos in Canads start are about 20-$30 and I was amazed they would send the insert out free of charge. It's an outstanding example of customer service.

Jan 4, 2015
Massachusetts
Met my first Zippo in Vietnam in '66, haven't been without one since. They work under the worst of conditions and if they break Zippo will fix them. I'm a customer for life because they deserve it.

jkrug

Lifer
Jan 23, 2015
Good to hear hey took such good care of you.
I have 3 Zippo pipe lighters, 2 newer ones and an oldie from 1987 that still works like a charm. Dang thing is older than my 3 kids. :D

zekest

Lifer
Apr 1, 2013
I love Zippo lighters.
I carried one in that weird little front pocket on blue jeans for years, even though I did not smoke, or spend much time in the great outdoors of my native New Jersey.
I felt a great sense of accomplishment the first time I learned to open it and light it one-handed. Was I not cool!
That said, it is now 2015, and there are far better alternatives in portable fire makers for pipe and cigar smokers.

spartanfan

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 3, 2013
Great company and have sent off a couple of Zippos to get the pipe insert. Incredible that there is no charge for this service. I would agree they are special company in more ways than one.

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
There's an interesting story that was passed down to me from years ago: A fisherman caught a fish that had swallowed a Zippo. He cleaned it, refurbished it, and it worked just great. He wrote the Zippo Company about his story, and they reprinted it as part of an advertising campaign. I've used Zippos for forty years, first for cig lighting, and now, with the insert, for my pipes. I recently had one made with one of my pieces of art:

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
Whoops, the last posting wouldn't let me upload the personalized Zippo. Here it is, a witchy pic of Gabrielle.

scan-121-102x1501.jpg

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
If I used a lighter with my pipes, it would be a Zippo. What a great design and solidity of construction. I think I like the plain buffed chrome best. For me, matches are the sacrosanct method of lighting a pipe, the rites, the ritual. Maybe I should buy a Zippo just to place at the shrine.

gregprince

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 29, 2014
My Zippo is from the 60's, still works as well as the day I got it. I guess that doesn't make me a very good customer. For that designation I should loose them occasionally. I will, however, recommend them at the drop of a hat. Indoors it's wooden matches, outdoors either the Zippo or, more often, my classic Nimrod executive, almost as old.

effektor

Might Stick Around
Aug 4, 2013
I have a few Zippo's, but only use the one that came with the pipe insert. I should see about replacing the others...

okiescout

Lifer
Jan 27, 2013
I use matches, butane, and Zippo lighters with pipe inserts for when it is really windy.
Having said that, if you reference the study done here on the blog you will see that these lighters are both far hotter than matches.
I charred a nice pipe a number of years ago lighting it in the dark and wind with a lighter, while fishing. Since then I only use lighters on some of the old "work pipes" in my collection and my cobs.
It makes me wince every time I pick up that Sav and see that scorch mark on the top of the light stained rim.

Status
Not open for further replies.