PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bodubya

Lurker
Sep 16, 2013
First post - greetings everyone. I have a question for the group.
I'm fairly new to pipe smoking (6 months or so) and have slowly accumulated a good number of tobacco's that I rotate through. I kept them in the original baggies that I received them in (except for the tinned tobacco's, they are still tinned). For a gift my wife bought me a nice wood and leather box to store the tobacco and my pipe. The box had a strong scent of dye or stain, so I polyurethaned the inside and let it cure for several weeks. After this, the scent inside the box was nearly gone, so I thought it was safe to store everything in there...
After a couple weeks I noticed that the outside of the baggies seem to have a plastic/polyurethane scent. And, I'm not completely sure, but it seems to me that the tobacco may now have a slight plastic taste.
My question is, has anyone else ever had tobacco absorb scents,etc, from its surroundings, through zip lock baggies?

metalmilitia

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 14, 2013
I have had the baggies "absorb" the scent of theadjacent tobaccos. but it senna to be only the baggies and is especially pertinent with latakia blends. but it send to be only with the baggies and not the tobacco, and it seems to dissipate after a few days

bodubya

Lurker
Sep 16, 2013
Thank you for the quick replies.
rothnh, To be clear, you are saying that the tobacco begins to taste bad after the 1 week in baggies?
Also, I have ordered a case of ball 8oz wide mouth jars.
I hate to think that my collection is bad. It is a tragedy.

taerin

Lifer
May 22, 2012
Plastic doesn't make e'm smell bad, but they will absorb the smell and flavor of anything near them while in them because plastic baggies are not airtight. Always use mason jars for storage of your tobacco because it is the cheapest way to safely store your tobacco completely airtight and the jars are very nice to feel and look at. The biggest problem with plastic baggies is they either loose their moisture or take in additional moisture from the outdoors, they also loose their sent and flavorings from it not being airtight.
Your tobacco is probably fine, might need re-hydration.

phred

Lifer
Dec 11, 2012
As noted, plastic baggies are not air-tight - one of my first orders included both a light, fruity aromatic and a dark Balkan-style Latakia blend, and the two do NOT play nicely together... the combination scent was gag-inducing. I jarred both almost immediately in self-defense.

Status
Not open for further replies.