PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

instymp

Lifer
Jul 30, 2012
How long will tobacco last in them, I buy 4oz. to try new stuff & was wondering how long I can keep them before having to jar them.

Thank you.

metarzan

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 14, 2012
Most of my older stuff is jarred up but I have several in ziplock baggies over 10 years old that have held up fine. That was not my intent for long term storage in baggies, just worked out that way. Curious as to others experiences.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
I've had mixed results. I think the tobaccos with PG hold up well. Others not so good after a week or two.

Getting "dried out" is not the biggest problem because you can always re-hydrate it. But when a tobacco

loses the esters, resins and volatile organics that make it worth smoking, there's no rescuing it.

rotschefeller

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 27, 2012
Köln, Germany
I typically jar the tobacco as soon as I buy it, other than a bit that I am planning to smoke in the very near future.

Then I keep the baggies in case I want to take a few bowls somewhere, to meet friends, on vacation, etc. I don't know if it makes a big difference but putting the tobacco back in the bag it came from can't hurt.

zanthal

Lifer
Dec 3, 2011
Pleasanton, CA
Mason jars are the best long term storage.
I have some of those Iwan Ries perma-moist bags linked above ... they're definitely a better seal than plastic ziploc bags.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Ditto on the Perma-Moist bags from Iwan Ries. I have some IRC Va flake aging in them, and when I open a bag,

the aged tobacco is succulent and altogether wholesome.

Status
Not open for further replies.