Tags:  No tags yet. 
[closed]

Zen and the Art of Capitalized Titles

(48 posts)
  1. zack24

zack24

Mod

Login to Send PM

I had a couple of corrections to make to a post, and then realized there were a bunch of other titles that also weren't capitalized. Most of these were from some of our newer forum members who might not be familiar with the dreaded Rule #9.

The whole purpose is to give us a nice, clean consistent look...and for at least this moment in time, all the thread titles are PERFECT! If you're not familiar with this one- it's in the Forum Rules-

Spelling, Punctuation and Grammar

9. In order to maintain the quality of our forum and facilitate communication, it is the policy of PipesMagazine to encourage the use of standard spelling, punctuation and grammar.

Members are requested to proof read their posts before submitting them. Please capitalize words in the thread titles.

You may be contacted by moderators and asked to reword posts that we deem too difficult for many to read. If there are repeated violations that appear to be due only to laziness, you run the risk of having posts deleted or being submitted for moderation before appearing on the forum.

A list of common abbreviations and acronyms may be found at http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/terminology. We can add to this list, but if you use new or obscure acronyms, please GUAH (Give Us A Hint).

British-English spelling standards are acceptable as well as American standards.

Perfect grammar is not required. We encourage everyone to do his or her best. Allowances will be made for those for whom English is difficult.

Posted 2 years ago #
  2. bassbug

bassbug

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

In fact, there are 4 styles of capitalization of titles that are considered acceptable.

1. Capitalize the first word of the title, the last word of the title, and all nouns, pronouns, verbs, adverbs, adjectives, subordinating conjunctions, and a few conjunctions. Prepositions are only capitalized if they are used adjectivally or adverbially. For example you’d capitalize the word “up” in a title that read “Squiggly Looked Up a Word” but not in a title that read “Squiggly Walked up the Mountain.”That is the short version of the formatting recommended by the Chicago Manual of Style (1).

2. Capitalize the first word of the title, the last word of the title, and all “principal” words (that’s essentially the same parts of speech I just listed—nouns, verbs and so on), and all words longer than three letters. That is the style currently recommended by the Associated Press (2). (You can see one of the major differences between Chicago and AP style is that in Chicago style, a long preposition such as “between” would not usually be capitalized, whereas in AP style, it would.) [Update: the Associated Press now uses sentence style, the style described next.]

3. Only capitalize the first letter of the first word of the title and words that would be capitalized in a sentence, such as someone’s name. This style is often called “sentence style” because it’s how you write sentences. (The Los Angeles Times website currently uses this style instead of the recommended Associated Press style.)

4. Capitalize the first letter of every word. (The MTV website currently uses this style.)

Is it fair to assume that this forum accepts all of these?

I don't care who you are, you're not walking on the water while I'm fishing
    Posted 2 years ago #
  3. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The point (I think) is appease the web gods to keep PM forums in the top responses to Google searches. So, as digital rules may be different than more legit rules of languages.
    so... "Capitalize the first letter of every word."

Michael
    Posted 2 years ago #
  4. bassbug

bassbug

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

"Capitalize the first letter of every word."

Got it...loud and clear.

More than willing to do my part

Posted 2 years ago #
  5. saintpeter

saintpeter

Login to Send PM

Um...if dyslexic is it okay to just capitalize the last letter of each word? Just asking, ya know.

Carter Hall...when you care enough to burn the best.
    Posted 2 years ago #
  6. zack24

zack24

Mod

Login to Send PM

Um...if dyslexic is it okay to just capitalize the last letter of each word? Just asking, ya know.

PeterSaint, We all have issues...even me...:)

Posted 2 years ago #
  7. jvnshr

jvnshr

Mod

Login to Send PM

http://titlecapitalization.com

For those who have issues

Javan
    Posted 2 years ago #
  8. warren

warren

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I believe Kevin relaxed the initial "caps" rule to now include the rules as set out in various print medium "style" books. For what it's worth I use the Chicago Tribune Manual of Style. Only because my wife came with one. There are others. Most major newspapers have them and some are available on line.

Simply stated, it's the rules we learned in English speaking schools (sixth, seventh grade?) with the usual differences between American English rules and English, as in Great Britain, rules, etc. I can't speak to countries such as those which write right to left or with different character sets or alphabets, etc.

A man without a shillelagh is a man without an expedient.
    Posted 2 years ago #
  9. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I can't believe that Google counts incorrect capitalization of articles and unimportant words. But is anyone certain one way or t'other?

So, "Zen And The Art Of Capitalized Titles" looks all wrong to me.

But "Zen and the Art of Capitalized Titles" looks great.

But I Will Follow All The Rules.

I know that you believe you understood what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
    Posted 2 years ago #
  10. mcitinner1

mcitinner1

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I'm feeling all warm and fuzzy now that this thread happened. My tongue hurts from having to bite it so much.

Stan
    Godfrey Daniels!!
    The Plenipotent Key to Cope's Correct Card of the Peerless Pilgrimage to Saint Nicotine of the Holy Herb:
    Posted 2 years ago #
  11. georged

georged

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

my name is e e cummings and i think that's a terrible rule designed to repress artistic expression

Dogs live such short lives... and spend most it waiting for us to come home
    Posted 2 years ago #
  12. mcitinner1

mcitinner1

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Watch it George, your rebel is showing.

Posted 2 years ago #
  13. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

i say, g d, wasn't there a guy who left us summarily when the rule was pointed out, iirc?

Posted 2 years ago #
  14. mcitinner1

mcitinner1

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Yup, that rings a bell. Now there was a REAL rebel.

Posted 2 years ago #
  15. wyfbane

wyfbane

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I try to capitalize my titles. Sometimes I typo, though. Oh well.

Posted 2 years ago #
  16. mcitinner1

mcitinner1

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I am not my mother...I am not my mother...I am not my mother...PROOFREAD FIRST My mother made me do it...

Posted 2 years ago #
  17. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Some kind soul sent me a web article that said that search engines don't care about caps.

More important is using good, solid and accurate tags to get more hits, which I think is what Kevin would like.

Posted 2 years ago #
  18. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Ok ok ok, I've made a mistake. Kevin has corrected me. Use the regular American English Gramatical version of capitalization. You don't have to capitalize the small words. I must have just assumed all words were capitalized, because that was what everyone was doing when I first got here. I hope I haven't made this more confusing than it needed to be.

"Zen and the Art of Capitalization" would be correct.

Posted 2 years ago #
  19. warren

warren

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Wow! Kevin corrected you! I am impressed. Dijhe hunt ya down lak a dawg? Or, did you wander into the office and naively seek clarity?

I want to read and understand posts. I'm not going to lean into the screen and strain though. And, I think the mods have other things to do than correct headers and such. They're main job is to suck it up and take the bullet when necessary.

Posted 2 years ago #
  20. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Eh, partly true! But if we wee folk do as much right as we can, there's less scut-work for our overpaid mods.

THANK YOU, Michael!

Posted 2 years ago #
  21. nevadablue

nevadablue

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

So, standard sentence capitalization is OK? I hope. I learned a LONG time ago that was proper. Just asking...

---
    Ken
    Posted 2 years ago #
  22. deathmetal

deathmetal

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

They pay the mods in Mixture 79, which is actually not half-bad.

"My own experience has been that the tools I need for my trade are paper, tobacco, food, and a little whiskey." -- William Faulkner

The Metal Mixtures
    Posted 2 years ago #
  23. User has not uploaded an avatar

aldecaker

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I'm with e e cummings there, trying to massage out the stroke he's having over his left eye.

A man who serves his country is a patriot. A man who serves his government is an employee. The two are not always the same thing.
    Posted 2 years ago #
  24. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

So, standard sentence capitalization is OK? I hope. I learned a LONG time ago that was proper. Just asking...

Not for titles if I understand right. Important words all need caps, little ones, not.

Posted 2 years ago #
  25. nevadablue

nevadablue

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

OK, I will try my best.

Posted 2 years ago #
  26. sablebrush52

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings

Login to Send PM

idontunderstandwhatallthiswhiningisaboutiunderstandwhatimwritingsososhouldyou

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt. - Mark Twain

It is pointless to argue with a fanatic since a dim bulb can't be converted into a searchlight. - Jesse Silver
    Posted 2 years ago #
  27. didimauw

didimauw

Mod

Login to Send PM

Yes, I made that mistake trying to edit members post titles as a mod early on. And was corrected by a member here. (You know who you are). I'm glad this thread was made, to clear things up a bit.

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."
    Posted 2 years ago #
  28. saintpeter

saintpeter

Login to Send PM

Ok ok ok, I've made a mistake.

Big group hug. It's okay.

I hope I haven't made this more confusing than it needed to be.

That ship has sailed. Not only sailed, but become a privateer.

Posted 2 years ago #
  29. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Or, did you wander into the office and naively seek clarity?

Damn Warren, you know me better than I do. Ha ha! Yes, after I had posted that above, I thought, "wait, did someone tell me that, or was it just a Cotton Boll Twist hallucination?"

Posted 2 years ago #
  30. deathmetal

deathmetal

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Once, when smoking Cotton Boll Twist, I had a great conversation with Henry VIII for two hours.

Posted 2 years ago #
  31. chasingembers

chasingembers

Captain Of The Black Frigate

Login to Send PM

And still we have older forum members ignoring it.

I like coffee exceedingly.
    - H. P. Lovecraft
    Posted 2 years ago #
  32. mcitinner1

mcitinner1

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

DM your making me think about how it's been awhile since I smoked some Cotton Bole. Not sure if I still have any. Maybe I'll just go order some, just because.

Posted 2 years ago #
  33. jvnshr

jvnshr

Mod

Login to Send PM

Yes, I made that mistake trying to edit members post titles as a mod early on.

I still do that, every morning I spend at least 15 minutes to correct all the wrong titles on the main page. I wasn't warning anyone, but from now on I will leave a small note under the post of the OP. He who doesn't want to see that note should use the SHIFT key on the keyboard or send me a tin of Penzance, up to you.

Posted 1 year ago #
  34. mcitinner1

mcitinner1

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Yes, I made that mistake trying to edit members post titles as a mod early on.

I still do that, every morning I spend at least 15 minutes to correct all the wrong titles on the main page. I wasn't warning anyone, but from now on I will leave a small note under the post of the OP. He who doesn't want to see that note should use the SHIFT key on the keyboard or send me a tin of Penzance, up to you.

Posted 1 year ago #
  35. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Title corrected as per standard English: Capitals for important words; lower case for articles and non-key words.

But there was one in all caps- was that changed?

Posted 1 year ago #
  36. jvnshr

jvnshr

Mod

Login to Send PM

But there was one in all caps- was that changed?

I was on annual leave and could have missed that one.

Oh, you were talking about the recently opened thread. Done!

Posted 1 year ago #
  37. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

You da champ!

Grammarians and newspaper folk every where thank you.

Posted 1 year ago #
  38. nevadablue

nevadablue

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

sTANDARD eNGLISH dOESN'T cAPITALIZE aNYTHING bUT tHE fIRST lETTER of a sentence or names, standardly... just say'in.

That said, I am trying to follow the 'standard' here and do the titles 'properly' for here.

Posted 1 year ago #
  39. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I am of the impression that there are standards for thread titles, pretty much the same as for titles in English language newspapers, magazines, articles.

Posted 1 year ago #
  40. nevadablue

nevadablue

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Posted 1 year ago #
  41. User has not uploaded an avatar

bigpond

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Google search isn't case sensitive. Mods can drop the charade.

Posted 1 year ago #
  42. mcitinner1

mcitinner1

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Charade? I'd rather think of it as the grown-up, big-boy-now, what the teachers taught me type of thing. Google has nothing to do with it, except that it is part of the problem.

Posted 1 year ago #
  43. warren

warren

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

There's no charade at all. It's simply what the site owner desires. Kevin's opinion is the only one which matters in this discussion. So, it's not so much a matter of style but, respect for the rules the owner has established for proper behavior in his "sandbox."

I hate the thought that "Google" is now the arbiter of style in all things grammatical.

Posted 1 year ago #
  44. nevadablue

nevadablue

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

And Warren, THAT is the only real important part of this whole discussion. The guy who owns the playground has set the rules, and rightfully so. It is HIS. I have watched this kind of thing happen in lots of forums over the years, and it boils down to a decision by the guy who pays the bills and keeps this neat place open. HIS decision is really all that matters.

Think I will go mess with an old Pipe and see if I can Make It Run again.

Posted 1 year ago #
  45. User has not uploaded an avatar

bigpond

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

There's no charade at all. It's simply what the site owner desires. Kevin's opinion is the only one which matters in this discussion. So, it's not so much a matter of style but, respect for the rules the owner has established for proper behavior in his "sandbox."

I hate the thought that "Google" is now the arbiter of style in all things grammatical.

Capitalization is the albatross swinging its way across this board. Three threads on the front page that Ive noticed (and I'm not looking), have been corrected. In at least one case , (i think the kirby thread) ,the op is fluent and generally careful with grammar. It's an easy thing to spot which is why it so heavily corrected. Grammar and spelling are not addressed beyond the users autocorrect because both require skill. So, a double standard is inherent.

Many posters use mobile devices with abysmal AI autocorrect. Add to that device lag, small screens, etc and you have a recipe for disaster. So the answer, obviously, is not to post from a mobile device. That is not always practical and certain less so relative to a mod just chilling out just a wee bit.

Site owners pay google for click throughs. Click throughs determine the value of a site to advertisers. Advertisers pay the bills which keep the servers running. Much of google is accessed by mobile devices. So cell phone posters do in fact own internet grammar, in a very real (bizarre) way.

?

Posted 1 year ago #
  46. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

bigpond, one of the rules that applies to everyone on this forum is to not discuss moderation, nor rules in public threads. If you really have an issue, please send us a PM. But, Kevin has made it perfectly clear, that he wants people to capitalize. This is not open to public debate.

Posted 1 year ago #
  47. saintpeter

saintpeter

Login to Send PM

Dura lex, sed lex

Posted 1 year ago #
  48. zack24

zack24

Mod

Login to Send PM

...and the good news is that I started the thread....and think it's probably a good time to close it. As always, we appreciate your thoughts, prayers, and random bundles of cash that keep showing up in my mailbox...:)

Posted 1 year ago #

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   judcole, 3rdguy, pitchfork, burleyboy