PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

kendodan

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 22, 2013
I hope this isn't considered advertising, if so I am at the mercy of our moderators!
So I have been thinking of starting a Youtube channel for pipe smoking but I would like to ask some questions first.
What are some of your favorite Youtube pipe smokers? What do they do that you like?
What are some things that you don't like in Youtube videos? For example, I don't like when the presenter is just sitting there puffing and not saying anything. I don't mind if it's 2 or 3 seconds but I don't want to watch you contemplate the meaning of life.
What are some things that you would like to see in Youtube videos?
I am still a fairly new pipe smoker, having only been smoking for just under two years so the channel will be an exploration of a beginners palate. I haven't done any tobacco reviews but would really like to get into it. I think it would be interesting to see how a beginner reviews a tobacco and then a year later review that same tobacco.
I don't want to be strictly reviews though. As many of you may or may not know I reside in Japan and I would like to share with the pipe smoking community the Japanese side of pipe smoking. This may include walks in some very beautiful parks and interactions with the pipe club that I am in. (with subtitles)
Finally, I thank you for your time and would truly appreciate your opinions. Give it to me hard. If you think this is a waste of time/stupid, let me know!

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
The YouTube channel that really helped me a lot in the beginning was DubInTheDam. He did a lot of very informative videos on everything from selecting a pipe, estate pipes, flake tobaccos, different styles of blends, how to keep a pipe lit outdoors and in a windy environment etc.. He doesn't do too many videos these days though. You can still learn a lot from his older ones.
I'm also big of Stuff&Things channel right now. He does a lot of reviews, but they're very in depth and very well done. He also has a Sunday Smoke that he does where he'll just ramble about things mostly pipe related. I also love how he has his channel divided into playlists. He's also a fountain pen enthusiast, so if you want to watch those you can, but if you just want the pipe stuff they're under their own playlist.
I have to agree, the videos where people are just puffing away on their pipe aren't really that entertaining.
Aside from the obvious blend reviews you could also do the ever popular "How To" video(s). I know they've helped a lot of people tremendously when they're starting out. Seeing on a video the technique one uses to load the bowl, light it, and maintain it are very helpful. You can also review different pipe podcasts. Always good to get the word out on those. You could discuss blending styles while not giving a review of a specific blend. Then there's artisan carvers to discuss. If you've found a new one that people should check out or experiences you've had with an artisan carver. You can also review pipes you have or pipes you've just purchased. What you like about them, why the smoke well etc.. I also like the idea of taking your pipe places and doing a video. It's good to know areas around town where you can enjoy the scenery or company of others while having a bowl.
Just a few suggestions. Hope they're helpful.

drezz01

Can't Leave
Dec 1, 2014
+1 to Stuff&things, my good friend Bradley is probably my favorite youtube pipe presenter (not actually my good friend -- if you watch him you know). His Sunday Smoke format is perfect: whereas his tobacco reviews are usually full of information and opinion, the Sunday smoke has room for ramblings, anecdotes and long pauses. His reviews are thoughtful, he brings in good comparisons to other tobacco blends which is really helpful, and voices his biases and opinions. I was almost turned right off from the ytpc during the fervent release of Old Dark Fired when everyone and their uncle had a shaky cellphone video shot in the cab of their pickup truck where they said how much they liked it but with absolutely no qualifications why.
I also really like J Piper. Both of them are really solid presenters in general which I think is the most important thing for a successful youtube channel on almost any topic. Their videos are planned out ahead of time but they aren't overtly reading from a teleprompter. They don't have any annoying habits like that sharp sucking of the tongue some people do during pauses between statements, overuse of 'ums' 'uhs' or 'likes' -- just the staples of a good presentation that are learned over time. You don't, by any means, have to be a perfect presenter from the outset, just keep working at it and you will get there. And importantly, despite having the technical stuff down, both of these guys they let their personalities show through which helps endear a fan base. J Piper has this great and contageous excitement and optimism and Stuff&Things has a sort of a wry wit which is equally entertaining.
I think you are definitely on the right track with approaching this from your beginners perspective. People like myself will find it relatable: trying to refine a palate and discover new blends while hammering down on the technicalities of smoking a pipe and trying to develop good habits. I also think some of the more experienced smokers will find it amusing recalling similarities in their own development. And above all, nothing is more detestable than becoming another non-expert expert on youtube. There are enough of those in all avenues of the site -- be honest with your experience, be transparent with your biases, share your successes and failures along the way, try to make the execution of each video better than the last and you will be well received!

kendodan

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 22, 2013
Wow, guys. Thank you for such great advice! Looks like I have some videos to watch and study. I hear you loud and clear on the non-expert expert. They are a dime a dozen on Youtube and that is one thing I am definitely trying not to do.
I am going to hit the bed. It's getting a bit late here but please keep the advice coming. Lord knows I need it haha

brass

Lifer
Jun 4, 2014
United States
Please, please, if you do one of these, get to the point, make your point, and get on to the next point. Most of the pipe videos's I've seen are of people who like to hear themselves talk and they ramble, and ramble, and ramble.
I will look at some the tubecasters mentioned above.
Thanks

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
Many Youtube 'presenters' have an identifiable schtick. I think a parody of some of the more popular ones while wearing a brown paper bag with holes cut out and doing some of those same things might get some attention. A comedy bit/ homage kind of thing..NW Piper, Aristocob, The Dagners, Stuff&Things, JPiper, and more..

That might not have a long run, but one good episode has a good chance to snag some views.

The Unknown Piper?

delro

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 7, 2015
Please, please, if you do one of these, get to the point, make your point, and get on to the next point. Most of the pipe videos's I've seen are of people who like to hear themselves talk and they ramble, and ramble, and rambl
This would be the whole point of having YOUR OWN channel. To talk and ramble about whatever you want, for as long as you like.

bookn3rd5

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 29, 2012
Honestly I think you should do whatever you want. I mean they are YOUR videos - I think you should just be yourself and talk about whatever you prefer. I think the beginners review sounds like an awesome idea to begin with and as you get into it your channel could evolve into whatever you want it to. I dont think you should limit your preferences based on the opinions of others. Some of my favorite you tubers are be ones that seem to be pretty honest and comfortable with who they are and whatever they are talking about. I mean you will Never be able to please everyone/all the audience. Plus, most pipe smokers seem to be pretty open minded and accepting anyways, so I think you'll do great. Just My $.02 of course. :)

bookn3rd5

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 29, 2012
"This would be the whole point of having YOUR OWN channel. To talk and ramble about whatever you want, for as long as you like."
+1

settersbrace

Lifer
Mar 20, 2014
Female pipe smokers on trampolines? That's be entertaining.
Pipe smoking is not a spectator sport but I do enjoy tobacco perpetration videos and perhaps some beginner type orientation and nomenclature tutorials would help sustain the hobby. Pipe shapes, bowl drilling, engineering could all be explained and discussed via interviews with accredited pipe makers that actually know how to design a good smoking pipe. There's a limited window here IMO but it wish the OP the best and I'd certainly tune in and check it out.

kendodan

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 22, 2013
Once again thank you everyone. I am getting some great ideas. Now to just test some things out. I have never really worked with video so I am trying to figure out some good software to use. May just stick with movie maker for the time being.

sjpipesmoker

Lifer
Apr 17, 2011
I like the "How to" videos. I don't need to know your view on the Asian economic summit of 2015. Stupid in my opinion.

crusader

Can't Leave
Aug 18, 2014
Nebraska
NW Pipesmoker- my first sub and I really enjoy his thoughts on things as they are kind of deep but ordinary too.

Matche860- I really enjoy his stories and is fun to listen to.

Public piper- all about piping in public and promoting the sport, about my age demographic and seems to be a genuine guy.

Holysmokepipenpadre- hey, I'm super Catholuc and he is a Priest with a pipe. Also has some fun thoughts.

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
Just be yourself. That's what I do. You can do a variety of things, but I wouldn't try to copy anyone particular format of another presenter just because it works for them. Do what comes natural to you. I do cigar reviews, and talk about different pipes and tobacco's and do an occasional tobacco review. Other times I just talk about Heavy Metal music or baseball or whatever. Just do your own thing. I have subscribers that only watch my cigar episodes as that's what they're into and others only watch my pipe video's because that's what they're into. I have some that watch all of them, and some of my subscribers like it when I just do a ramble video. For example I did a video over an hour long about a variety of things just for the heck of it. Different people will find different reasons to like you, and some won't. That's just the way it is, but be yourself.

kendodan

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 22, 2013
Thanks again everyone for suggestions and advice. Right now I am trying to figure out how to edit my videos. Just using movie maker and it seems to be pretty good but my cameras audio is horrible. Need some kind of external microphone.

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
If you're not an old Scotts or Irishman, don't do it. Everyone else comes off like a hipster dofus in love with the sound of their own voice and no comprehension of the word "edit". :rofl:

Status
Not open for further replies.