PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
Not all youtube pipe presenters start their vids off by lighting their pipe with a lighter of some sort.

Typically, chuffing hard and blowing large clouds of smoke, yammering on about whatever it is that's on their mind a the time and repeatedly throughout, bringing that flaming lighter back to re light their pipes with what looks like the fires of hell or jet engine exhaust.

It's as if the act of lighting their pipe is a chore that must be dispatched with a blow torch and I think that does a disservice to novice pipers who will then emulate this behavior.

When you use a match, you have more of a gentle flame and this alone will contribute to a pleasurable smoking experience.

Started off slowly, and kept at that pace, you'll not overheat nearly as much and the flavors of your blends will not be pushed into the burning fires of hell. Well, that's my opinion.

beastkhk

Can't Leave
Feb 3, 2015
I haven't watched the video yet, but I did get a chuckle about how much the first pane of the videos mirrors your avatar photo. :)
Edit: Like it was made just now out so spite to that challenge. :)

elbert

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 10, 2015
There aren't enough trees in North America for me to switch to matches. :wink:
If I smoked indoors I might change my tune. But for now it's a zippo.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
Well, yah, that would be problematic. We must always adapt, overcome and improvise to keep the fire burning.

settersbrace

Lifer
Mar 20, 2014
Agree totally. Pipe smoking vids are about the most painful viewing there is at times. The lip smacking puffing and the uncomfortable silence between first light and first syllable. I'd rather watch grass grow.

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
Agree totally. Pipe smoking vids are about the most painful viewing there is at times. The lip smacking puffing and the uncomfortable silence between first light and first syllable. I'd rather watch grass grow.
I also couldn't agree more. Watching someone smoking a pipe on the tube is one of the most asinine and most boring things I've seen. And, more often than not these are people who are somehow proclaiming there expertise when they can't seem to keep the damn thing lit! :roll:

Status
Not open for further replies.