Youth Vaping Prevention Act of 2019 (HR 293, 116th Congress)

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

philairfoil

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 24, 2017
I dunno if this has been covered here...but Democratic children need/want to be safe.
H.R. 293 is described as the Youth Vaping Prevention Act of 2019, but in reality it will affect every single tobacco product sold in America.
For cigar smokers, the most notable change will be modifying the Jenkins Act, the main piece of law regarding the sale of cigarettes, to remove an exemption that allows for cigars and other tobacco products to be mailed to consumers. H.R. 293 would also ban the sale of e-cigarettes across states lines. This would mean an end to buying cigars online, through catalogs or over the phone.
In addition, the bill would increase the taxes for cigarettes and other tobacco products, as well as create a tax structure for e-cigarettes.
Most flavored tobacco products would be prohibited under the new law. The bill would add a restriction that meant that any tobacco product could not have an additive or any "artificial or natural flavor (other than tobacco) or an herb or spice." That list includes menthol, albeit menthol cigarettes would remain exempt. An exception is made for an "electronic nicotine delivery system" that is approved as a tobacco cessation device.
BOHICA...the slippery slope is getting steeper.

philairfoil

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 24, 2017
Political debate is not allowed in certain venues...not necessarily here, but I'm concerned that the lack of debate is one of the reasons we are where we are. No problems, Ash.

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I think we can all agree no matter what political affiliation that this is a crazy hair brained idea that blankets tobacco in general without any studies actually being done as to how pipe smoking affects health as opposed to cigarettes or cigars. Seems to me like a few politicians trying to look like the good guy. In actuality they just look uneducated.
I've been spending the past year or two stocking up the cellar. I probably have somewhere around 15-20lbs total. I'll keep up the pace that I'm on right now.
Hopefully this bill doesn't go anywhere.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
Studies are nowadays useless. They've also been **cough cough** politicised like hell. Researchers report whatever their grant-granters want them to report. Any studies that report the opposite of what the political current wants in order to pass regulation get swept under the carpet.

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
^^ this.^^ I have first hand knowledge of this practice when I worked in a Limnology (freshwater studies) Lab. My boss did some shakey shit to make sure grant money flowed. I called him out and quit. He had tenure. No. One. Gave. A. Shit.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
This is from a minister of parliament, in response to a letter sent to all MPs to scuttle the new Plain Packaging for cigars:
"In terms of cigar use among Canadian youth, based on 2016/17 data from the Canadian Student Tobacco, Alcohol and Drugs Survey, 2.5% of students in grades 7-12 had used a cigar in the past 30 days. The highest rate of use was among males in grades 10-12, 6.7% of whom had used a cigar in the past 30 days. These numbers are similar to the rates at which youth used menthol cigarettes before Health Canada took action to ban menthol in most tobacco products.

Our government believes that tobacco packaging and the products they contain are powerful promotional vehicles. Research has shown that plain and standardized packaging for tobacco reduces its appeal and attractiveness, especially among young people. We believe introducing plain packaging requirements is an important step forward in protecting Canadians, particularly youth, from health hazards stemming from tobacco use.
"
There are the 'studies'.
Never mind that their own studies call out their BS: those youngsters can't legally buy tobacco products. Whatever they're smoking, they're finagling it. When someone finagles he don't care about labels. But the studies say...
I can tell them where they can put their studies and their bills.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Support your B&M. You're going to need it.
Political debate is not allowed in certain venues...not necessarily here
Political discussion is very expressly not allowed here. There's a simple reason for that. It's a forum killer. 5 1/2 years ago this forum exploded because a few idiots who lacked the maturity to keep their political views to themselves launched a war here. Discuss the merits or lack thereof of the legislation and keep ad hominen BS out of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.