PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

andrearoberts

Lurker
Nov 29, 2013
Hi guys,
I was thinking back the other day on my very first smoke and I must have been very young at the time because all I remember is that it was a little harsh. Some guy at a party handed me it and I puffed away and made the cardinal sin of inhaling. Needless to say, I did not go straight back in for another puff after that.
How about you? Do you remember your first drag on the pipe? Would be great to hear about the first time you smoked in general too.

mtgallet

Might Stick Around
Nov 12, 2013
Mine was a few weeks ago. It was a nightcap sub and I hated it! Luckily I habe tried other blends since then and remain a pipe smoker

jeepnewbie

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 12, 2013
Byron
www.facebook.com
Well I don't use the term drag as it seems to refer to cigs and weed, but my first puff was at a friends house back in 01. I didn't reall know how to light the pipe, my buddy laughed at me and said I looked like a pothead trying to light up. I don't remember the flavor, but for Christmas that year I bought him another pipe. I'm not sure if he still smokes his pipe.

sfsteves

Lifer
Aug 3, 2013
SF Bay Area
Freshman in college ... probably hoping to appear older and more sophisticated than I actually was ... cheap drugstore pipe with some drugstore tobacco stuffed into it ... not entirely sure what blend it was, but I do know that my earliest experiments included Flying Dutchman, Borkum Riff, Sail and Mixture 79 ... tried Cherry Blend at one point, hoping the aroma would appeal to the coeds in the student lounge, but whether it did or not, I'll never know and I never made it all the way through the first package ... that stuff really gooped up that cheap pipe and ghosted it something fierce ... one can readily understand why it was only after I was out in the 'real' world that I got a bit more serious about pipe smoking, largely due to the influence of a knowledgeable co-worker who more or less mentored me to quality pipes and quality tobacco ... had the Internet existed then, a forum such as this one might have sped up the process for me, but that was a time when one needed to learn through personal experience and chance encounters with others who could (and perhaps would) offer beneficial advise ...

latbomber

Part of the Furniture Now
May 10, 2013
Was with an overpaid-for medico and cheap buttered rum tobacco from bringham. I remember being really disappointed in the lack of flavor and how hard it was to keep lit. Thank god those days are long gone haha.

shayde

Can't Leave
Oct 4, 2013
As my first smoke of a pipe was not as far back as some of you, I remember it quiet clearly. At the park in town I was sitting on a bench by the stream at night. I was smoking a house blend aro from the B&M in a MM Great Dane egg. Thanks to this site and it's more prominent members like Roth I had already amassed a wealth of knowledge. So my first smoke was enjoyable, however, I didn't like the tobacco.

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
I didn't really get into pipes until about 6 years ago, but I had my first pipe about 10 or so years ago. It was Captain Black White in a borrowed Dr. Grabow billiard.

Now, if we're talking first smoke of anything, I tried cigarettes when I was about 9 years old.

Aug 14, 2012
1956. I found a crappy old pipe of my father's in a closet with some powder dry tobacco & tried it. I didn't like it much but reasoned that if the tobacco were fresh and the pipe better, it would be a good smoke. It has been, for over 57 years.

smokeybiker

Lurker
Mar 27, 2013
I remember mine well! A friend and I had been keen cigar smokers for around 5 years, but had always fancied smoking pipes. We took a trip to our most local tobacconist and they helped us each pick out pipes, a pipe tool and a selection of different tobaccos to try. I remember sitting at home that night, Us both following a youtube video step by step on how to pack and light the pipe before cautiously lighting up our first bowls.
I forget which type of tobacco I had in the bowl, but from the moment I took that first puff, I fell absolutely in love with pipe smoking.

krizzose

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Michigan
Peterson's De Luxe Mixture in an MM Diplomat. I still have the tobacco from that tin in a jar, but will probably never finish it. Not bad, just boring. The pipe, now with a forever stem, still sees regular use.

When I was 6 or 8, I used to go fishing with my granddad on Saturdays. He had craved me a pipe (corncob style, but some kind of wood, maybe cherry) and let me put a little of his Prince Albert in the tiny bowl. I hated it, but in front of him, I wasn't going to complain. It seemed to be some sort of "manhood test" LOL. He showed me rabbit tobacco that grew along the edges of the woods and fields, but I wasn't impressed. I wasn't really impressed with any of it. The pipe was just a part of my tackle box, and even then I thought of it as a toy.
It wasn't until I hit the beginnings of my teens that I found cigarettes, which seemed in my twisted mind to be more of a "real" smoke. I took to the paper rolls quickly, and rode it till I took back up the pipe. Now, I feel like I am relearning the whole world of smoking, and I really wish I had that old carved pipe my granddad made. It also made a great pistol if you held it right :)
I tried the pipe again in college, but I went right for a cherry blend, which ended up with both hitting the trash quickly. I still avoid anything cherry flavored. Bleh!
It was a little over a year ago that I polished off a bag of RYO Turkish tobacco in a Chinese corncob and then latter a Savinelli Piuma. I think of that period as my transition. I probably would have smoked recycled butt tobacco in a crack pipe if it held off the cigarette junky withdrawals. It wasn't until I visited a proper tobacconist that my journey seriously began. And, so here I am, with a bowl of fine Virginia in a classy stacker, puff puff :puffy:

volyd

Lurker
Nov 22, 2013
Yes, I do remember. I actually don't know why, but I've tried pipe smoking back in 2007. Still own that cheap, but quite well made pipe. First tobacco was Kentucky Bird, I think. Could have been Borkum Riff. Anyways, did everything wrong, and gave up. Completely gave up cigs in 2010, and picked up the pipe again. With all the help you can find on the internet (including this forum as well, of course), I've never looked back, and enjoy my pipes.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
43 years ago with a drug store briar and some kind of cherry blend (what else?). It was a struggle but I soon learned what to do and discovered the wonderful world of Dunhill blends and HBD pipes from a real tobacconist.

cmdrmcbragg

Lifer
Jul 29, 2013
Decided I wanted to try out pipe smoking (seemed economical and I always thought pipes were cool) so I stopped by the local Smoker Friendly and picked up a bent Fujima (Yeah, not briar. Plastic with a metal bowl. It was a hunk of junk). Also grabbed a pouch of SF Whiskey. Needless to say the pipe didn't smoke great, I burnt the hell out of my tongue and then I found pipesmagazine.com. I lurked and learned and ended up getting a Rohan (another not so great, cheap pipe) and a pouch of CBW. I tossed the Fujima and the SF Whiskey (didn't care for it and it was goopy as hell) ... and the rest is history.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
Hmm. 1968. Freshman at Michigan State. I could not tell you what the pipe was - Medico maybe? Dunno. I seem to remember trying John Rolfe very early in my pipe smoking career - I think that was my first. John Rolfe is long gone, of course - it was some peach thing. (I see Lane has a version from the reviews on TR.)

hammerhorror

Might Stick Around
Aug 28, 2013
Even though it was only three years ago, I can't remember it too well. Most likely some bulk Altadis in a no name churchwarden. Must have liked it, though!

Status
Not open for further replies.