PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everyone,
I was reading about the history of Jeantet pipes and was fascinated history and the tragic transition to their current position in the pipe mfg industry.
What are your views on Jeantet pipes mfg from 1800 to 1969 era. Shall I go after them or not?
Regards,

Chris

derrickyoung

Might Stick Around
Apr 11, 2013
My daughter brought me a leather wrapped Bulldog back from Paris. It is a nice pipe and smokes very well. I would definitely take a few more of them if i saw them come up

K

klause

Chris,
I have a few or more of these and find them to be smashing pipes. Gentle on the eye, well constructed, reasonably priced, and, most importantly, really good smokers. Perhaps a little overlooked, but that's a good thing for you and me - more choice, and good prices!!!
I'll be getting more as they pop up. Give a couple a go, and see what you think.

Hi Sam, Derrick and Klaus,
Thanks a lot for the encouragement and your love for the Jeantet. It's sad that Chacom has reduced this pipe name and brand to a sub-standard product. I will shortly post pictures of the pipes I am getting, they are from the 1950's and look pretty awesome for estate pipes.
I'll PM you guys if I come across more Jeantets from 1800-1969 era.
Cheers,

Chris

northernneil

Lifer
Jun 1, 2013
I have a Jeanete that was made after 2010, and I will say that is smokes great. It has no fills, a nice open draw and great construction. The mouth piece is made of high quality vulcanite and sits comfortably in the mouth. And it only cost me $85 brand new.

slrichman

Might Stick Around
Mar 13, 2017
Little Rock, AR
I found a Crystal Jeantet pipe (#1034) in my father's old pipe collection. It's a sweet little bent with a tall bowl. I cleaned it up, but it was already in pretty good shape, having not been smoked in many decades. It's quite nice.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
This is certainly a teaser. I admit, I don't know Jeantet pipes. Is there a link to a good summary about them? I'll Google.
https://pipedia.org/wiki/Jeantet
I'll add, a few years ago I ordered a Comoy-Chapuis pipe, an econo pipe for sure, and it was an amazing bargain. Nice smooth finish, good drilling, and improves with age.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
I got one at the Chicago show that was unsmoked and made in the 1970s. Hardly needed any break in time.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
One take-home lesson from this thread is that French pipes in general are well made and notably well priced, made well above their price point in general. Why is this? I think it centers on St. Claude which sets the example for all of French pipe making. There's a long history here, where briar pipes were first perfected and marketed, and where most of the classic "English" designs originated. All of the established French brands exhibit this ingrained pipe culture -- Chacom, Butz-Choquin, Genod, Villiard, and so on. Many newbies get all set up with their Petersons, Stanwells, Nordings, and Dr. Grabows before they ever discover French pipes. They're fine smokers and usually a great buy.

Status
Not open for further replies.