Pipes Magazine » Pipe Tobacco Discussion

Tags:  No tags yet. 

Your Thoughts on Gawith's Best Brown Flake?

(16 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by coalsmoke
  • Latest reply from cigrmaster
  1. coalsmoke

coalsmoke

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

After buying a a pound of English Luxury, I'll have plenty to last a bit. I want to get a couple of tins of MM965, one of my favorite blends, and then try something different. After some looking and review reading, I decided that Best Brown Flake is a finalist. Any likes/dislikes on this one?

Russ
    Smoking a pipe is true relaxation...everything else is too much like work.
    Posted 1 year ago #
  2. dragonslayer

dragonslayer

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

SG BBF is number 1 in my rotation.

“The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests.” Patrick Henry
    Posted 1 year ago #
  3. coalsmoke

coalsmoke

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

SG BBF is number 1 in my rotation.

Any words on the flavor, strength, burning characteristics, etc?

Posted 1 year ago #
  4. johnny

johnny

Login to Send PM

It comes pretty moist so you will want to let it dry for a while or possibly overnight to get it burning well. It's a little sweet, a little earthy and really good on flavor. As far as strength, it's milder than FVF but stronger than Orlik Golden Sliced IMO. Give it a try, it's good stuff

Posted 1 year ago #
  5. judcole

Jud

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I enjoy it a lot. It has a smooth, rather grassy taste,that I find quite pleasant. It is, I think, a pure Virginia, with no topping or added flavors. I don't find it too high in nic - it is lower that FVF, or blends like Peterson Uni Flake or MacB Navy Flake. It does have the tendency I find in SG flakes of needing to dry out for the best smoking.

Hope this helps. Enjoy it.

Thought in the early morning, solace in time of woes,
    Peace in the hush of the twilight, balm ere my eyelids close
    Rudyard Kipling
    Posted 1 year ago #
  6. coalsmoke

coalsmoke

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Hey, Guys...Thanks for your input as always! This will be on next month's TAD list.

Posted 1 year ago #
  7. thesmokindragon

thesmokindragon

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

+1 w/Jud, I have smoked a great many tin of her, finding for myself
    I liked more spice, so I moved to SG's St James these days

Posted 1 year ago #
  8. cigrmaster

cigrmaster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Best Brown is one of the few bulks that I stock and I love the stuff. It does need a lot of drying time. I cube cut it and then I let it sit out for at least an hour, usually and hour and a half. It is cool smoking, very tasty and absolutely no bite. I recently scored 3 pounds of 2006 and it ages beautifully. I have around 10 pounds in the cellar and will be adding more. I think it is one of the best flakes on the market.

Harris
    Posted 1 year ago #
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

I like BBF -- in fact, it is my favorite SG virginia blend. I have a few tins of it in the cellar and I'll likely purchase some bulk of it to jar (that's on the bucket list).

If you enjoy straight virginia blends in flake form, you can't miss with BBF.

Posted 1 year ago #
  10. dragonslayer

dragonslayer

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I prepare it in the same way cigrmaster does, but it dries much faster where I live. But it's smooth, never a bite, a light but flavorful smoke, no relights, and just a nice smooth roll of creaminess off the tongue and nose. That is how it feels for me, and the reason it is my number one.

Posted 1 year ago #
  11. coalsmoke

coalsmoke

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

As this would be my first try at a VA flake, would you recommend that I try the BBF first or the FVF? I get the impression that FFV is stronger in vitamin N from the reviews. What are the differences between the two?

Posted 1 year ago #
  12. atboth

atboth

Login to Send PM

Lovely stuff. Sam Gawith's BB flake makes the world seem sunny and bright again.
    Rub it out and dry it ere stuffing it into your bowl, though.

-----ATBOTH
    Boring wafflegab about tobacco.
    Posted 1 year ago #
  13. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

As this would be my first try at a VA flake, would you recommend that I try the BBF first or the FVF? I get the impression that FFV is stronger in vitamin N from the reviews. What are the differences between the two?

I haven't smoked any BBF in more than a year, but IIRC, both are quite similar. FVF is processed slightly differently, looks a bit different than BBF and to me is a bit stronger. BBF is milder and smoother, but has a fuller taste (if that makes sense).

Most of the buzz is on FVF. BBF is sort of the red headed stepchild. But that's fine. I like BBF better anyway and it's a bit easier to find. Like Harris, I cube-cut mine and like most of Sam's virginias, it needs drying a bit before packing.

Posted 1 year ago #
  14. flyguy

flyguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Great stuff. I find it is important to make the BBF the first smoke of the day. If you foul your palate with a stronger or with an English tobacco, you will not be able to enjoy or discern its delicate flavor and BB will seem tasteless. BBF flavors come through better, IMO, when it's cube cut and then dried.

“Apples for walking, and a pipe for sitting.”
    ― Samwise Gamgee
    Posted 1 year ago #
  15. User has not uploaded an avatar

lestrout

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I prefer BB to FVF because it's more consistent with various pipes. I have had some transcendent smokes with FVF while others were just average. I'm still trying to decode FVF to find what bowl sizes, geometries it likes.

hp
    les

Posted 1 year ago #
  16. cigrmaster

cigrmaster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

les, I totally understand where you are coming from. I have also been experimenting with pipes for the FVF and have come to this conclusion. Group 4 Dublins, Cherrywoods, and apples, so far have worked much better for me. I find that bigger pipes are just too much and the tobacco gets bitter towards the end, and that thicker walls are needed. I also make the cubes very small in comparison to any other blend I cube cut. Give it a shot and let me know what you think.

In comparison to Best Brown, FVF is a stronger blend that takes much more work and experimentation to get it to perform to it's optimum, at least that has been my experience. I have tried it in so many different pipes and it does have it's favorites. When it preforms right it is a very tasty full bodied smoke that is complex and develops nicely as it is smoked.

Posted 1 year ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   harveylee, papajoe, darthcider