PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

austinxpipe

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 25, 2012
I stumbled upon these on an auction site.
PO75u.jpg

3R9JQ.jpg

ybK2v.jpg

zIZM3.jpg

I haven't heard much about them, other than sparse reviews on other pipe forums. They sound like good smokers. They are hand carved (or lack thereof) and numbered. I picked up No. 1195 online last night, partially because my budget had just reset for a pipe, and out of some desire to keep a sniper who snatched the 4 before it at bay. He is also bidding on every single other one listed right now. I could go on an on about my strategy that landed me one, but I digress.
Has anyone every heard of these? It doesn't seem like it from my research. I will let all of you know how it is when it comes in. Hopefully it's good, and you can all pick up these sweet looking (at least to me) free hands for a very reasonable price. He also has a website, and as I'm too lazy to save this post and read the forum rules, you can just take yourself over to Google and find out how to get there (Hint: type his name into the 'search' field :rofl: )
Again I think these look pretty sweet. Some are HUGE. Thoughts?!

austinxpipe

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 25, 2012
Now's the time to buy.
I think this guy is going places.
My thoughts exactly. Got mine for under $50. If he becomes famous, etc. I'll have one of his first pipes. Pretty cool that they are numbered. If not, a sweet looking pipe that should smoke decent for less than $50!

sasquatch

Lifer
Jul 16, 2012
Grab a piece of plateau, put a pre-molded acrylic stem in it, and sand it smooth? I don't see these as very special. Sorry gang.
And the top pipe is obviously stained - you can see it at the top of the chamber, and the plateaux is dark brown too.

austinxpipe

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 25, 2012
What I paid for this pipe was far less than a (block of plateau+stem+my time) is worth.
If these were hundreds of dollars I wouldn't bother. I found it interesting to get involved on the ground floor of this, when they're inexpensive and relatively unknown. Not to mention I enjoy the minimalist style and how the briar itself if the focal point, not necessarily his carving finese (which by the way if you want to see finese, you can find other styles on his website)
I think it's vital to the hobby to explore and appreciate anyone carving. Some styles aren't for everyone, but at the very least, let's not discount their work.
***EDIT*** Realized this post kinda defeats the purpose of saying "your thoughts" so I apologize for being defensive! Different stroke for different strokes they say! And if there's one thing I've learned here it's "do what YOU like"
Thanks for your feedback Sasquach! :D

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
I don't especially dig these large chunks of briar, but I have one of his olivewood pipes. The stem, as noted, is pre-molded acrylic, but the stummel is nicely done (on mine), with the olivewood "grain" being symmetrical. Properly drilled. Also picked up one for a friend and he likes it. He actually likes the stem, in particular.
Some of the briar pipes by Don Florian (I forget the maker's actual name -- Don Florian is the name of a chapel on his property) are really nice freehands -- Dublins, billiards and the like. Nice briar, nice grain (same pre-molded stems). I kind of like the story behind them and they're nice to look at.
However, I wonder if he isn't churning out these big, fan-shaped pipes just to make a buck -- they couldn't take nearly as much time as a properly made um, shape.

austinxpipe

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 25, 2012
However, I wonder if he isn't churning out these big, fan-shaped pipes just to make a buck -- they couldn't take nearly as much time as a properly made um, shape.
Ha! Crossed my mind too. If anything a polished shape of briar on my shelf will be a nice accent.

austinxpipe

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 25, 2012
What I come away with after reading about him and his craft is more about his views on concept and style from a lawyer-turned-pipe maker who's just beginning his journey.
Probably one of the best takeaways from his site!
It's easy after one glance to diss and dismiss; it has happened too often to other artists and it's certainly true that beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Yet I do believe that Don Florian is gifted, admiring his pipes gives many clues to his talent and IMO, success cannot help but follow him.
Except for Andy Warhol and his stupid soup cans! Just kidding. :rofl:

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
Austin:
I'm with Roth on this guy. He's a comer.
I also sent "Don Florian" a message and asked if he would be selling some of his traditional pipe shapes anytime soon.
Thanks for the heads up, friend.
Fnord

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
It looks like a sweet piece of wood. I just wish he'd done something to it.

wlfwalleye

Lurker
Jul 2, 2011
0012.jpg

I have purchase 7 of his pipes. His shipping is very fast coming from Italy. The pipes are made extremely well. All of mine are excellent smokers and I will definately purchase more from him in the future.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I am not a fan of free hands so naturally these would not be my cup of tea . I think that if you like them then that is all that matters. I am sure there are people who do not care for my pipe choices but that is fine, we will always have different tastes in pipes which is a good thing. If we all liked the same things it would be pretty boring. I hope this pipe smokes great for you and becomes a favorite. Congrats on your new pipe.

bigmikeyc

Lurker
Jul 21, 2013
THIS IS A “DISPLAY ONLY PIPE, DO NOT SMOKE”.

BOUGHT MINE ON EBAY (#1548) AND THE FREEHAND PIPE DEVELOPED A 3/8” BURN HOLE

ON THE SIDE OF IT AFTER ONLY THE SECOND SMOKE OVER TWO DAYS!

CONTACTED THEM AT THEIR WEB SITE DONFLORIAN.COM LAST WEEK

AND NO REPLY. NOW I HAVE AN EXPENSIVE ACRYLIC PIPE STEM!!

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
If there is a large sandpit/fissure just behind the surface of the bowl, it could lead to a pretty dramatic burnout. Whatever you think of their looks, these pipes are made to smoke. I don't know what the maker's return policy is for defects in the briar, but most makers will replace a pipe that does this -- just for good customer relations.
Let us know if you hear back from the maker.

mirain

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 5, 2011
I got one of these behemoths as payment for some work I did and was surprised how well it smoked. Granted, it's not a pipe you take with you on a walk around the neighborhood but it works well sitting in my favorite leather chair. It is a beautiful piece of timber.

mrjerke

Lifer
Jun 10, 2013
Midwest
Interesting stuff. The "Free Shape" and "Monumental" aren't quite my cup of tea.
I do like this one on auction though...
iSale.jpg

shaintiques

Lifer
Jul 13, 2011
Georgia
He says he doesn't use a lathe to carve it, doesn't say anything about drilling it. He is using some kind of electric drill. He says that on ebay. Its not that hard to do what he is doing. Especially being in a place with an abundance of briar. I do mostly hand, file, rasp, sandpaper shaping too. That being said I would still buy one if they are good smokers.

Status
Not open for further replies.