PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

masked1

Might Stick Around
Jan 2, 2012
Alright. I am looming to make my own pipe rack and I wanna see your guys racks and any advice if you have made one or just have some advice on the subject.
Thank you!

-cody maske

pentangle

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 21, 2011
Genova-Italy
If you like to work on wood and spend some time on making a pipe rack......do it.Remeber that on ebay you can buy some old ones that could refurb for the same price of the wood you'll use.Some old pipe rack is a true piece of history.I love to refurb these bad guys :D

masked1

Might Stick Around
Jan 2, 2012
I think im going to try my hand at something along these lines. Simple but effective. Just to get the hang of it.
http://www.google.com/imgres?hl=en&safe=active&gbv=2&biw=1262&bih=874&tbm=isch&tbnid=v2sGtAUwq7kWVM:&imgrefurl=http://www.outwesttobacco.com/Accessories.htm&docid=0Q1EBb8yjZemrM&imgurl=http://www.outwesttobacco.com/Images/Accessories/Pipe-Rack-3.jpg&w=500&h=359&ei=36oQT_bQHe6FsgKKnunFAw&zoom=1&iact=hc&vpx=315&vpy=562&dur=1125&hovh=190&hovw=265&tx=166&ty=63&sig=103244635520518604353&page=1&tbnh=160&tbnw=207&start=0&ndsp=23&ved=1t:429,r:18,s:0

aussielass

Oct 18, 2011
I'm with Pentangle, I can't stand new, ticky tacky, or obviously home-made ones - nothing like restoring an oldie from the early 1900's, you can almost feel the 'ol fella looking down on you, smiling and saying, "Thanks, my treasure looks great now!". Ditto that to old pipes too ... I swear pipe smokin' ghosts are the strongest communicators of their happiness.

rlunderhill

Can't Leave
Jan 10, 2012
I use beautiful cigar humidors to store my pipes in. Less the humidity. I get 12 per humidor. They lay flat and are protected from humidity and dirt that's in the air. I paid a lot of money for my collection and being in-cased in Cedar is my way to go.
The pipes are completely dry and tobacco free before they are placed back in the humidor. Each pipe is cleaned, wiped down of finger prints and returned for another day. Each pipe is smoked once per day. Having many pipes available allows me to smoke when I want to. I only use one tobacco per pipe, never switching tobaccos in the same pipe. I'm really proud of my collection and enjoy smoking them immensely.
I've found beautiful cigar Anniversary Presentation Humidors in mint condition at thrift stores for $5.00 each. Unbelievable ! You'd be surprised what people throw away.

mluyckx

Lifer
Dec 5, 2011
Texas
i love my homemade pipe rack even though it looks homemade... because it was made by my 12 year old grandson ;-)
rack6-448x600.jpg

mluyckx

Lifer
Dec 5, 2011
Texas
Maurizio,
I was there the whole way ;-) it became an opportunity to teach him the use of a jigsaw, dremel, sander, etc... No circular saw, tables, routers or lathes (yet) and he still has all 10 fingers ;-)

pentangle

Jan 21, 2011
Genova-Italy
"I was there the whole way it became an opportunity to teach him the use of a jigsaw, dremel, sander, etc... No circular saw, tables, routers or lathes (yet) and he still has all 10 fingers "
I was sure :wink: He must be happy to have a so nice teacher

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I have a 12-pipe, two sided rack that is now full. And there is no more room for another rack on my smoking stand. I'm thinking about doing the rare earth magnets on top of this smoking stand. I did some measurements this evening, and spaced properly, I could fit 25 pipes on top using magnets and a magnetic sphere in each bowl. My worry is the contact between the magnet and bowl will eventually damage the pipe finish. I might experiment with covering the magnet with some vinyl or similar. The person in the article below used a button to act as a cup. The magnets aren't very expensive. I've seen these racks, but never communicated with someone who uses one themselves.
I got the idea from this article:

http://pipesmagazine.com/blog/pipe-collecting/the-magically-magnetic-one-of-a-kind-pipe-stand/
All sorts of rare earth magnet shapes here:

http://www.amazingmagnets.com/sf-ring-tube-magnets.aspx
My current stand. I made the top for this about 20 years ago. I could make a slightly larger top and counter-sink the magnets.

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
I made this little 1-pipe rest back when I only had 1 pipe! I've now out-grown a 6-pipe store bought and may have outpaced a 12 pipe, by the time I get/make another. PAD is something else!
fabe712f.jpg

unclearthur

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
Here's a couple of my larger ones. Picture was taken when they were in desperate need of dusting. Since taken care of.

coll2-600x285.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.