PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

americaman

Part of the Furniture Now
May 1, 2019
Los Angeles, CA
Hey all,
I started reading up on Barlings, and they sound very interesting. Some people say that they smoke better than Dunhills. For anyone that owns a pre-transition Barling, or knows about the pipes, what do you think? I'm wondering if it's worth it to take the plunge and get one.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Yes on all counts. I own two and they out smoke my Dunhills. Barling had some of the best stem work as well as the best briar. Sablebrush is the official expert here, and he'll tell you the same thing, plus more.

americaman

May 1, 2019
Los Angeles, CA
Haha, what is Jesse's username?
Also, I forgot to add, are there any sort of markings that guarantee a pre-transition pipe? I have heard that "Ye Olde Wood" is one, but I am unsure if it was used after the transition as well.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Read Jesse's comments here: http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/barling-pipe

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
More from Jesse here: http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/pre-transition-barling-1

donjgiles

Lifer
Apr 14, 2018
Not to mention... this jewel of a page.
https://pipedia.org/wiki/Barling
With quite a bit of information from... you guessed it, Sablebrush (Jesse)
Don

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I started reading up on Barlings, and they sound very interesting. Some people say that they smoke better than Dunhills.
Almost any well made pipe will smoke well if you know how to smoke a pipe. It's 25% equipment and 75% technique.
I own Dunhills and they're well made pipes, as are Comoy's, Charatans, Sasienis, Loewes, BBB's, GBD's and Leeds Era Ben Wades. Barlings are very well made, and they have become an area of fascination for me. I own about 100 of them, ranging from the 1880's to the 1970's. I like how they smoke for me, and I like the extremely comfortable bits.
Barling was a relatively small producer, largely made by hand, with carefully chosen and aged wood. They were fanatical about all aspects of making a pipe. They did their own harvesting in Algeria, air cured their wood. and controlled every aspect of their manufacture from the ground to the sales counter, for decades.
Drilling is spot on, the draw is open, and as I mentioned, nobody made a more comfortable bit.
Rather than use the Pre-Transition, Transition, and Post-Transition terms currently in use, I refer to define the eras of manufacture as Family Era and Corporate Era because it's less clumsy, and more accurate.
The Family Era pipes are the more sought after and collectible. These can be recognized by the nomenclature which consists of a BARLING'S MAKE in block letters with the word BARLING'S arched over the word MAKE. After the family left the business the logo was changed to a script Barling.
Barling conducted their Algerian harvesting operations until 1954, when the Algerian War for Independence put an end to it. After that they bought their wood from anywhere they could find wood of the quality they required for their pipes. They did such a good job of it that almost no one can tell the difference. What did not change was their process for making pipes, old growth wood, long air curing, and careful milling, shaping and finishing.
The early Corporate Era product is very good and I enjoy these pipes as much as the Family Era product. But eventually Imperial Tobacco's policies did result in some shoddy pipes as Imperial pushed for greater capacity over quality.
Read the Pipedia article that I wrote with significant contributions by Barling authority Tad Gage and pipe historian extraordinaire Jon Guss. There is quite a bit of information in that article. If you have any specific questions I will be happy to answer them if I can.

americaman

May 1, 2019
Los Angeles, CA
Thanks, Jesse. That was some excellent information to know. I was reading the Pipedia article earlier today.
If I end up getting one I might ask you some questions. Are you in SoCal? I have lots of tobacco you can try and lots I can give away.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
If I end up getting one I might ask you some questions. Are you in SoCal? I have lots of tobacco you can try and lots I can give away.
Sure, any time. I'm happy to help. I am in SoCal. Beautiful, blisteringly hot SoCal. Feel free to drop me a PM if there's anything you want to discuss in private. Several people here regularly contact me regarding candidates for their collections.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Now I know a some more about Barling pipes and the cause for devotion to them. Thanks!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
"Twenty five percent equipment and seventy-five percent technique." --sable' That's a mantra for Forums members one-and-all.

pipebaum81

Nov 23, 2014
Words from Jesse are never to be missed, always to be bookmarked for later reference, and simply a delight to read. Thanks for always being and endless source of info.
j/B

Status
Not open for further replies.