PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

thomasmartin

Can't Leave
Jul 13, 2015
Unesco world heritage
To me the most beautiful pipe I own is my Dunhill shell briar billiard with the sterling silver ring. To me this is the epitome of elegance and sophistication in pipes. I would go as far as to say it's the most beautiful pipe ever made. It's not the most smoked in my collection but it's the pipe I would smoke wearing a Tux at a prom or at a cocktail party (If such things were possible nowadays.). In fact she's one of the reasons I took up pipe smoking after ten years. I could simply not stand to sell it or leave it unattended in my den.

I look forward to see yours!

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
No way I could pick just one. I consider my two Kent Rasmussen pipes as two sides of the same coin and the pinnacle of pipe making.
I'm with you on Dunhill. The first Dunhill I bought was a 5128 black briar with a thick silver collar engraved with Dunhills street address. Something about black finish with silver band makes for a seriously handsome pipe. I'll never sell it.

thomasmartin

Can't Leave
Jul 13, 2015
Unesco world heritage
Nice I have a similar one. . I have some issues with this one though (paint fading, draft hole too high).

Edit: fine watch choice too. When it comes to pipes and shoes it has to be britain for me. Watches? Swiss all the way!

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
I actually just bought another, a shell finish diplomat. It's my favorite Dunhill shape. I'm always keeping an eye out for them, but yours is the first Dress finish I've seen. I've seen it in every finish except Dress and Rubybark.

Mar 30, 2014
wv
My Marvic rhodie has a whole flock of birds and smokes like a champ. I'm having another made asap.
lHQLck8l.jpg

thomasmartin

Can't Leave
Jul 13, 2015
Unesco world heritage
It is an estate refurbished pipe. Given that the paint job stains my fingers blue I seriously doubt that it was a dress leaving the Dunhill factory. I polished it to remove some of the paint and it turned into a dark charcoal with the grain shining through. I don't have a pic handy but it actually looks very nice that way.

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
It has "Dress" carved into it so that's a true dress Dunhill, at least it was at factory. That it has the dress silver.

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
I look forward to see yours!
Boy, don't ask the easy question eh?
I have a number of pipes which I am captivated by because of their history, or their shape, or their finish, or their origin... but picking the MOST beautiful? That's a tough nut to crack. I have an early Parks bulldog which has wonderful rustication, a brushed silver band, and a delightfully black, white and silver marbled stem. But it isn't beautiful; at least to my definition. Same goes for the big Comoy's Blue Riband Extraordinaire bulldog. It is a wonderful pipe, but I wouldn't call it beautiful.
Here's how I'm qualifying most beautiful... The pipe I've chosen is a patent Sasieni 4 Dot Billiard. It is perfection in shaping, has wonderful grain, a beautiful finish and sort of nails "pipe" from an archetypal sense. It has function, form, design and mechanics all working for it: I love it, and I think it's beautiful.

-- Pat

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
Pat, what shape is that FOUR Dot (puh-leeze!!!) again, the Cromer?
Dave, as best as I can tell, it's an early "Temple Bar - Cromer"... but I don't know for certain. There is no shape number, and no shape name on this pipe. The only nomenclature on the shank is, "Sasieni. 150221/20. London Made." The nomenclature is in pretty good condition and does not appear to be any worse the wear for buffing.
-- Pat

jonasclark

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 4, 2013
Seattle
Mine is this meerschaum bedouin. I've read that figural meerschaums went out of fashion by the early 1900s. No maker's name, just "Warranted Genuine Meerschaum." It's been smoked a lot, has become very heavy (from absorbing tobacco juices?) and still has its oxblood/dragon's blood faux coloring. The stem is a 1930s Bakelite replacement.
I think the carving is absolutely incredible. Like, museum quality. His face is so realistic, if it was modeled on a real face I think one could recognize the face in a photo. He has lots of wrinkles, and those beautiful languid eyes for which folk of that part of the world are famous. His head is looking slightly to his left, and his eyes slightly further left. The cloth draped around his face is blowing back on his left side, and the rope around the top overlaps on that side. The cloth is neatly tucked-in below his neck.
I found this pipe on Etsy, of all places, for a jaw-dropping price. I wish I knew more about it, or who might have carved it!
WoGMXQT.jpg

SigRdhP.jpg

1yiR8Qp.jpg

samcoffeeman

Can't Leave
Apr 6, 2015
My Bennwik horn. I scored this very early on in his pipe making, the first pipe he ever sold actually, through the Danish Pipe Shop. This pipe now would be 3-4X the price I paid for it back then.
053.jpg

Here are the original pictures, somewhat miscolored, although you can see the phenomenal grain and shaping:
horn-471x600.jpg

seacaptain

Lifer
Apr 24, 2015
I only have 5 pipes. The best looking one is the Wessex, far left. Nice light brown stain and cumberland stem. It's the worst smoking pipe of the 5 though. My best pipe is the Sav GDO in the middle.
prince2_zpsknd7rfpi.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.