Your IP Protocol Is Unstable AndI Illegal - WHAT?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

indianafrank

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 15, 2014
There was a recent thread "Old People and Computers." I commented that basically I don’t know squat about ‘puters, and I have tried to learn them.
So yesterday I tried to go online, and I get a message. “Your IP protocol is unstable and illegal. You have performed an illegal operation and your computer is in jeopardy.”
“WHAT THE HELL DID I DO?” I screamed. My wife was shocked and asked me what was wrong.
“I did something illegal on my computer.” I told her. “I tried to get online but the ‘puter would not connect to the internet.“ I yelled. “DON‘T YELL AT ME.” She screamed back. “Sorry. But you know computers make me crazier than I already am.“
Then I received another message. "Your protocol is unstable." “Honestly.” I said to myself. “The only thing unstable now is me.“
Then another message pops up. “There is no IP configuration.” And another… “your wireless connection is not suitable.” What the hell do you mean it’s not suitable? I’ve been using the same damn thing for 8 years.” I yelled. Ya, now I’m yelling at the computer.
I spent 2 hours on the phone with reps from the cable company, and the modem company. They only confused me more. This morning I spent another 2 hours on the phone while messing with the computer, the router, and the modem.
A guy can only take so much computer abuse. So I called my son. I don’t like to bother him with ’puter problems because he deals with that stuff all day long. He’s an IT guy. Over the phone he calmed me down, fixed my illegality, and set up my internet connection, at least for now. Tomorrow I gotta pick up a new router.
I asked him. “Okay. Can I do this when I get the new router? Will I be able to set this stuff up?”
“No dad.” He said. “Don’t even try to do it on your own. You'll get pissed, and mom will end up throwing you out of the house, and your not living with me. Just call me.”
You guys who say computers are no problem, and that they are easy to learn, easy to fix. :cry:

mephistopheles

Oct 14, 2014
Sounds bogus to me. I agree that you've got a virus or malware issue. Probably best to stay off of it until your son can check it out and make the appropriate fix. You don't need a new router or anything else, just a scrubbed computer.
When you do something illegal on a computer and somebody knows about it two things can happen: You either get a letter in the mail from your internet provider telling you how a company has an issue with you and how your internet provider did not give them your contact information, but that an investigation could start if whatever you did keeps happening OR a government agency kicks in your door and you disappear for a while. You don't get a warning on your screen.
My suggest is to stay off of the computer until it's fixed. Also, probably best to not involve your internet provider as they are most likely clueless and you don't want them thinking you actually did something illegal when you certainly didn't. Just a thought.

troutface

Lifer
Oct 26, 2012
Colorado
a strong Ukrainian accent...

That or Nigerian. Lately I've been getting lots of Google phishing emails. Always someone looking to have you part with your money, not just the US government :(

indianafrank

Oct 15, 2014
Hey guys thanks. Ya, I had a virus. I have no idea where it came from. I'm pretty good about staying off certain websites or downloading crap from the net. I do get lots of info from customers, or potential customers via emails, and downloading their info from there. It may have come from one of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.