PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Even though I am a lover of all things perique or latakia my "go to" smoke is 3 Star Blue. By "go to" I mean it's the one I turn to when I don't want surprises or intense flavor. It's the tobacco I turn to when making my first or second test drive of a new pipe.
Do any others have an old and trusted friend that you never seem to out grow? Something that brings back memories of . . . I don't know, youth, college, first loves, military days, that sort of thing? If I tried 3 Star today I would not find it particularly interesting. Blah would be the term I'd use. Still, there are times when it's the perfect smoke.

msandoval858

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 11, 2012
Austin, TX
These days it's been Louisiana Red.
Not my favorite tobacco in the world but the flavor is great and I find it enjoyable any time of day.

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
It depends, I have several in different categories.
English blends;

1) McClelland Blue Mountain

2) McClelland Frog Morton

3) H&H Black House
Burley blends;

1) Sugar Barrel

2) Carter Hall

3) Scotty's Butternut Burley
Aromatics;

1) Lane Limited 1Q

2) Fat Albert ( a blend of my own, 50/50 Prince Albert/ Smoker's Pride Black Cavendish

3) Williams C. C. Cavendish ( a local B&M blend similar to 1Q, but a little stronger
Crossover blends;

1) McClelland Frog Morton Cellar

2) McClelland Frog Morton Across The Pond

3) McClelland Frog Morton On the Bayou
Virginias; (Not a big Va fan, BTW)

1) McClelland Deep Hollow

2) McClelland 221b Black Shag

3) Mac Baren Plumcake
I have many more blends on hand, but usually about three in each category. I know this may be cheating a little, but it would be impossible to pick just one!

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
Pete:
Slow down. What's your go-to?
Depending on the time of day I'd reach for Balkan Sasieni or Dunhill Nightcap.
We're talking "comfort food" here, pal.
Fnord

scrapyardape

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 9, 2013
Florida gulfcoast
Alas, I have not really settled on a "go-to" baccy yet. I'm still at the "try everything I can get my hands on and file it in the 'like or don't like' category" phase of my pipe smoking odyssey. :D

amiller

Might Stick Around
Jun 8, 2013
McClelland 5100 is easily my primary go-to. But I also have a go-to VaPer - Solani's, and then a go-to Latakia, Frog across the Bayou....

but 5100....

oh... and sometimes PA is nice to just not have to think.

tarak

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
South Dakota
Hmmm. For me , it really truly varies. I suppose if the house was on fire and I had to choose....McC Blackwoods Flake. Ask me week, I'm sure it will change.

kcpoe

Might Stick Around
Oct 9, 2013
Frog Morton's Cellar when the wifes not home.
50 / 50 mix McCllelands 815 Strawberry Daquiri and McCllelands 403 Darkest Chocolate when..... she is.

werdna

Can't Leave
Jun 6, 2013
My go to is a good burley, either MacBaren's Golden Extra or Burley London Blend. Everything else is dessert.

Status
Not open for further replies.