PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

trucha

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 26, 2013
I have a question for seasoned pipe smokers. Since I have only been at this for alittle while, I have been trying every blend that I can get my hands on. I seem to like most of them. My question is that if you've been smoking for a while do you stick with one or two blends or are you always up for trying something different?

bigmick

Might Stick Around
Nov 1, 2012
I'm pretty new to pipes, only a few years in, but I have 3 or 4 blends that I try to keep always on hand. Outside of that I also try to add new tobaccos in my preferred styles to any order. Just to see if it's something I like more than my current favorites or just as a break from the usual. I figure I only have a few thousand more blends to try before I'm done.

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I've been smoking pipes daily for about three years now. My two go-to smokes are Lane Limited's 1Q and Mac Baren's 7 Seas Regular Blend. I do have a few other bulk blends stored in jars that were eight ounces when I started out but have dwindled down over the months.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
I've been smoking a pipe for about 33 years now, and I'm still always open to trying new blends. Of course, I do have favorites that I always keep on hand -- I have over 80 different blends in the cellar that I know I really enjoy -- but I've almost always got an open tin of something new as well. Sometimes I like the kind of concentration that I feel new-to-me blends deserve; you know, those times when you're really focused on trying to figure out what's in a blend, how well it smokes in various pipes, how it changes -- or doesn't -- as you move down the bowl, what difference drying might make, and whether or not I'm actually enjoying it. Other times, I just want the comfort of a known friend.
BTW, I'm always rotating through 5-6 open jars. (I keep all my tobacco in the original tin until I'm ready to smoke it. Then when I open a tin, it goes in a jar for smoking over the course of the next month or two.) I can't imagine having only "one or two" favorites, though, since I enjoy about five different styles of blend (English, Balkan, Virginia, Virginia/burley flake, aromatic) and one specific blend that I always have "open": Penzance.
Bob

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
I keep trying new things. I do have 3 blends that I always have open, amongst the 15-20 I will have in rotation.

tslex

Lifer
Jun 23, 2011
I call this my "Big Jar" blend, the one that is always in good supply in my den, that resides in my tobacco pouch as a default. For me, it is FMOTT.
I like to smoke lots of different stuff, but I'd say 1/3 or so of all the bowls I smoke are FMOTT.

cajunguy

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 22, 2012
Metairie, LA
I always try new tobaccos! Even the ones I don't care for get cellared to try at a later date. But I do tend to keep a bit of Lane's 1Q on hand. It's a good tobacco I can smoke out of my cobs while working, saving my tinned tobaccos for evening when I can sit and appreciate them.

irishjedi

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 31, 2013
As a a new jack as well, I have 2 that I keep in a solid rotation. I have found out that Borkum Riff and Clan, are not my faves :) many more to explore though.

4dotsasieni

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 6, 2013
Yes, I have a couple of blends that have been my standards for years, but part of the fun of the pipe smoking hobby is trying new stuff (but be careful, it can get addictive - and expensive). For example, I recently received, with an order, a sample of Button Bay from 4noggins, and it is currently my very favorite. But I'll always be open to trying new blends.

uberam3rica

Lifer
Sep 7, 2011
Capac, Michigan
For a VaPer I like H&H Aj's VaPer. For an English, Esoterica Margate. For an Aro, H&H Vermont Meat Candy and C&D Capt. Bob's Blend. But I like to keep trying new blends.

dragonslayer

Lifer
Dec 28, 2012
Pittsburgh
Early it's BBF, then the Vapers just like an old blue blood :) Then it's FVF and the major goto for most days...Yep the AK! Nothing like it and never lets you down. I do throw in some 2015, Escudo and others from the smoking box of "bags and tins."
The beauty of the game, more things than you could ever try in a life time.

nsfisher

Lifer
Nov 26, 2011
Nova Scotia, Canada
Been on the pipe for 18 yrs now and have tried so many diff blends I can't remember em all. But I have found several that I stick to now: Carter Hall, Walnut, Sugar Barrel and Prince Albert. After trying so many blends, I find that I am just an Old Coger lover. I do, however, keep other blends on hand, such as MacBarren ODF, 1792, Stonehaven and Penzance, for the occasional mix er up bowl. I like to layer em rather than smoke em straight.

brassonly

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 3, 2012
I have only been smoking for about 8 months now. I have now tried about 10 to 15 tobaccos and am really enjoying myself .I know I will probably continue to try new tobaccos for the rest of my life but I am slowly finding some favourites already that I make sure to always keep a good supply on hand. Right now my go to tobacco is Lane's 1Q.

Its a smoke that I always enjoy.

chubbster

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 12, 2013
I keep around 8 blends on hand and in the cellar.
Smokers haven Exotique and select mixture.
Samuel Gawith FVF and BBF.
Mcclelland Organic Grown Flake
GLP union Square
I keep a couple others but those blends make up my smoking.

gnatjulio

Lifer
Mar 22, 2012
New York
Like many here, I have 15-20 opened tins/jars at any given time. The blends I end up finishing within a couple of weeks of opening are EMP,Nightcap,LNF,LBF,633,HHODF and GH Rum Flake.

Status
Not open for further replies.