Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
This is separate from what it is to have a mentor, or someone who guides you through a process.
Instead, I'm talking about the first person you saw doing something and thought, "Hmm. Maybe for me, someday."
In my case, it was a history teacher. He loved his pipe between classes and smoked it constantly, puffing away in the courtyard. He had a nice pipe, from memory probably a Peterson or Dunhill, but smoked drug store tobacco. It smelled delicious however.
My brain filed that away for some time in the future... I often think of him, happy with his pipe, and wonder what tobacco it was.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Dean of Students at Uni. He smoked Burlington Arcade and showed me how to order it- mail order! With snails. That was 50 years ago.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
Fred MacMurray on My Three Sons. Man, that guy was a class act. I had relatives who smoked pipes, even my father, but Fred was the one who made it look glamorous to me.

mcitinner1

Lifer
Apr 5, 2014
Missouri
Fred MacMurray on My Three Sons. Man, that guy was a class act. I had relatives who smoked pipes, even my father, but Fred was the one who made it look glamorous to me.
My experience was just the same, but my Dad and uncles are who mostly fill my memories.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Seriously! After some thought, I suppose it was a young soldier, airborne, who worked at the same summer camp I did. He smoked a pipe and drove a "bug eyed" Sprite with always a girl in the right seat. I was 15 and thoroughly impressed. I couldn't afford either the Austin or the pipe. Three years later, as a freshman, I remembered the girls he attracted and I could afford the pipe and tobacco. Thus it began.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
I had a "Bondo" pink and primer gray TR3 for a while in the early '70s. I could never get the pot metal hinges on the "boot" to stay together and gave up restoring. I stopped the owner for no plates. He was moving it from one location to another. Instead of a citation I ended up paying him &500.00 for the car. Only traffic stop I ever made that cost me money.
I had great ideas for the car. None were realized and I sold it a year later for what I had in it. It's one regret in many.

Jan 4, 2015
Massachusetts
Don't you wish you had it now? They get big $$$ for them. I saw a pale yellow TR3 just the other day, brought back all sorts of memories of my misspent youth.

Uncle Leroy always had a pipe in his clench. There is not a single memory or picture without that pipe. He even slept on the porch with the pipe hanging in his mouth with a tooth hooked into a hole in the bottom of the bit. I also had two other uncles that smoked pipes, but they weren't as extreme. My dad also smoked a pipe for a few years, but he was too busy and ended up staying with cigarettes.

hakchuma

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 13, 2014
Michigan, USA
My uncle. He didn't say much, he just sat in his lazy boy and smokes a pipe while watching TV. As kids, we always made a big deal about how good his house smelled!

macaroon

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 2, 2015
Michigan
An older fellow with an impressive beard walking around downtown during an art fair. I smelled the smoke first, a delectable caramel sort of scent, and looked everywhere for the source. He walked around a corner with his pipe, and found myself thoroughly surprised. I had no idea tobacco could smell like that, smell good. That was several years ago. Not so much a role model as the inspiration for my curiosity and interest.

Status
Not open for further replies.