Your First Pipe Restoration - How'd It Go?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.

aquilas

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 3, 2013
My girlfriend had wanted to go to a thrift store just to kill some time and dragged me along. Whenever I go to thrift stores, I'm sure like many of you, one of my main objectives is to find pipes and pipe related things. On this particular day, the shop we went to had a few pipes. There were a couple of bowls without stems, leather pipes, a really beat falcon pipe (almost bought it, but it really seemed to be beyond repair), and the only good looking pipe was this straight apple. Had the stamp "LOCOR IMPORTED BRIAR" on it. Stem was oxidized to hell, but still in decent condition. Briar was clean with no scratches or nicks. Bowl wasn't caked much, if at all. For $5, figured I'd buy it to try my hand at restoring pipes, as I want to buy estates in the near future.
I was looking to buy some supplies today to start it. I'm already looking at Kosher salt and some high proof alcohol (whisky might be my preferred option since I can't get everclear in California) for the alcohol treatment. Maybe some Oxyclean to deoxidize the stem. I saw a youtube video about those magic erasers to use for after the oxyclean. What should I get to put that shine back in the briar and stem? Anything OTC? When I see people say that they put Olive Oil on their pipes, is that used for that purpose? Also, this pipe came with an evaporator on the stem. Will that cause any issues?
Aside from those questions, how'd your first ever pipe restoration go?

davidintexas

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 4, 2013
Hi Aquilas. Like you I hunt around for 2nd hand pipes whenever I happen to be in an antique shop. I have found several over the last several months, and have paid on average around $7.50 a pipe. As of yet I have not cleaned the inside of any of the bowls. I have taken apart the stems, and soaked in Oxyclean for several hours or overnight. Then I used the Magic Eraser on them and removed more oxidation. Then I went an extra step if the stems still looked like they had some oxidation left, and that was to use these real fine grit abrasive pads that go all the way up to 9600 grit. I forget what they're called but I saw them mentioned on one of the threads in the pipe repair section. Check there. That got them nice and black again although some still had a dull sheen. A little bit of olive oil rubbed in good restored the sheen.
In addition, on the outside of the pipe I used a soft bristle toothbrush with some Murphy's soap that has been diluted, and used that to clean any gunk or stickiness or other residue. Be careful not to apply to much pressure or you could take the finish off. After a thorough cleaning and drying, I would use a small amount of olive oil rubbed in with a clean cloth to give it that nice sheen again. For the most part this has done me well
The ones that had no nasty odor to them, I loaded up and they smoked fine with no lingering ghosts. But that's just me, and you may want to do a thorough cleaning with the alcohol before smoking. Most of the ones I bought did not have a thick cake so I didn't need to ream them. YMMV (Your mileage may vary)
Hope this helps. I'm merely an amateur at this and there are many on here much more experienced and saavy than myself. Also, it can be a lot of work and tedious at times, but for me getting some decent looking pipes for such a great price is worth the effort, and it has helped to increase my appreciation for the pipes, and my knowledge of them. Good luck!

cynyr

Feb 12, 2012
Tennessee
Micromesh pads, is the word David is looking for. Indispensable for pipe work.
Aquilas, I suggest reading this blog, all the way thru, every post. Steve will give you a graduate-level education on restoring old pipes.

aquilas

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 3, 2013
Thanks David and cynyr! The help is very much appreciated! Really looking forward to learning how to restore pipes and more importantly, being able buy estate pipes to restore and smoke!

taerin

Lifer
May 22, 2012
The only things that will restore shine to a pipe stem that I know is a buffing wheel or micromesh pads (usually from an autobody shop) at around 1,500 grit or better.

davidintexas

Jun 4, 2013
I got the Micromesh pads online for about $20 if I remember correctly. The package had several pads of different grit sizes. And they can be used on several pipes before needing to be replaced.

aquilas

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 3, 2013
Thanks Eric and David again!
I will look to get some of those micromesh pads. I was reading up on that blog that cynyr posted and noticed the author of that blog used various micromesh pads and it really brought the shine back to the stem.

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Micro Mesh is great stuff. If you wet sand( stems) with it it will last much longer.

mrdottle

Lurker
Jan 13, 2014
You can use the Micro-Mesh pads as well as the Micro-Mesh sheets. But there are two things to remember:

1. Always use them wet (keep a jar of water close by), and

2. Never skip a grit. If you want the utmost shine, work your way through each grit. If you skip a grit, the end result will be somewhat less impressive than if you work your way through each grit. Yes, more work = better results.

Status
Not open for further replies.