Your Favorite Bluegrass Groups

(25 posts)
  • Started 2 months ago by irishearl
  • Latest reply from dare66
  1. irishearl

irishearl

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Bluegrass is 1 of 4 music genres I enjoy. Am always on the look-out for new to me groups I might enjoy, so I figure I might hear of some new ones if I post this. What are your favorite groups? Mine in order are:

The Infamous Stringdusters
    Yonder Mountain String Band
    Hot Rize
    Henhouse Prowlers

Posted 2 months ago #
  2. elbert

elbert

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I know just enough to know that they're not really Bluegrass, but I love Old Crow Medicine Show.

I went to the Sioux River Folk Festival in Newton Hills State Park outside of Sioux Falls, SD last summer. The set I most remember was The Railsplitters, which I enjoyed. Also playing were Jackson's Flat Boat, Honeysuckle, Trout Steak Revival and a few others. I had an absolutely delightful time, even considering they didn't have a liquor license. I'll be watching this thread

"An thou hast them, smoketh them!" -An Old Philosopher
    Posted 2 months ago #
  3. irishearl

irishearl

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

elbert, that sounds like my kind of festival. My wife and I are from South Dakota. Do you live there? She's a native of Sioux Falls.

Posted 2 months ago #
  4. alaskanpiper

alaskanpiper

Login to Send PM

Old Crow Medicine Show, Trampled by Turtles, Flatt and Scruggs, The New Lost City Ramblers, Railroad Earth, Yonder Mountain String Band, Leftover Salmon, and more!

Love me some bluegrass! Great Bluegrass festivals all over the state all summer long up here! Most notably Salmonfest. Awesome time. Ninilchik, Alaska, a town of a few hundred people turns into a tent city of thousands for three days. Three stages and hundreds of bands, many of the above having played it. Super fun.

Given that it is Alaska though, you will experience all of this in a veritable haze of reefer smoke, so bring your respirator. Or lots of snacks if you're into that...

"We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that death will tremble to take us." ---Hank

"Yeah, well, you know that's just like, uh, your opinion, man..." --- The Dude
    Posted 2 months ago #
  5. irishearl

irishearl

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Heard all the ones you mentioned alaskanpiper except New Lost City Ramblers. I rather like Railroad Earth as well.

Posted 2 months ago #
  6. seldom

seldom

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The older stuff from The Seldom Scene is worth checking out. In my opinion Duffy had one of the best tenor voices in bluegrass.
    Live at the Cellar Door and the 15th Anniversary and 20th Anniversary concerts are a good way to get a taste.

Alaskanpiper, there has been some good music out of Alaska. I recall when I was working out of Cordova a really talented group of young bluegrass musicians that called themselves "Bearfoot Bluegrass". That would be almost 20 years ago. Used to be a bluegrass festival out near Talkeetna, don't know if it is still happening. Most of my time in Alaska was in the bush, off the road and ferry system, so I didn't get to many of the music events but the ones I got to I really enjoyed.

Seldom Seen
    Posted 2 months ago #
  7. alaskanpiper

alaskanpiper

Login to Send PM

Alaskanpiper, there has been some good music out of Alaska. I recall when I was working out of Cordova a really talented group of young bluegrass musicians that called themselves "Bearfoot Bluegrass". That would be almost 20 years ago. Used to be a bluegrass festival out near Talkeetna, don't know if it is still happening

Yeah, I actually went to school with Annalisa Tornfelt who is in Bearfoot. Her mother was my violin/fiddle teacher. They are great. As far as I know they are still making music but it's not quite as bluegrassy. There are a few awesome bluegrass groups here locally. A lot of good just general jam band music as well. Talkeetna Bluegrass was rad. I know they shut it down for a few years, im not sure if it is back now or not. There are at least 10 others that are equally awesome now though. Always a party.

Off the road and ferry system is the best place to be

Posted 2 months ago #
  8. donjgiles

donjgiles

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Here is the trailer of an upcoming doc...

https://vimeo.com/335466254?fbclid=IwAR1CTYAOAtRJVQLHF426NKBZ7qPrsHwQvDU3knWmvvcjsM8BgKXWbFJCric

Don

Posted 2 months ago #
  9. alaskanpiper

alaskanpiper

Login to Send PM

I'll be watching that for sure! Thanks!

Posted 2 months ago #
  10. hawky454

hawky454

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Bill Monroe & The Bluegrass Boys and Iron Horse. I like some of Old Crow too. 16 Horsepower could be considered bluegrass at times and they are one of my all time favorite bands.

Posted 2 months ago #
  11. elbert

elbert

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

elbert, that sounds like my kind of festival. My wife and I are from South Dakota. Do you live there? She's a native of Sioux Falls.

Iowa born and raised. I live in the company truck full-time now, but if I do take time off Sioux City is usually still where I take it.

Posted 2 months ago #
  12. alaskanpiper

alaskanpiper

Login to Send PM

I would add to my list above, the Pickin' on series (PIckin' on metallica, Pickin' on' pink floyd, Pickin on acdc, etc) is actually pretty darn good bluegrass music. Call me a childish immature goon (you wouldn't be wrong), but I'm a sucker for their album "This is just a tribute: Bluegrass wrecks the music of tenacious D". I was "that age" when tenacious D started making music, and it's nostalgic, but beyond that, the instrumentals on the Pickin on version are awesome and its some good foot stompin bluegrass.

Posted 2 months ago #
  13. bnichols23

Bill Nichols

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Any bluegrass is good bluegrass! I'll take anything from the archetypal to the new stuff. Seldom Scene's always been a favorite, as of course Bill Monroe & Lester & Earl, but I love it all!

Head Black Frigate keelhauler, boss powder monkey, & troublemaker 1st class.
    Posted 2 months ago #
  14. georged

georged

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I actually went to school with Annalisa Tornfelt

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0mzjL5147i4&t=3m0s

Dogs live such short lives... and spend most it waiting for us to come home
    Posted 2 months ago #
  15. alaskanpiper

alaskanpiper

Login to Send PM

Yeah, the Tornfelts are an insanely musical family. Her sister Emily, brother Tyler, and little sister (I want to say Kirsten?) Hope I'm getting all those names right, were all rock stars on stringed instruments in elementary school. The wee girl had the smallest violin I have ever seen and already knew how to grind that axe. Like I said their Mom was our music teacher, and their dad (I think his name was Robert?) was a composer or something like that. Super talented family for sure, and their mother was a great music teacher! She got me rockin that violin pretty quick. I am ashamed to say I set it down a few years later and never picked it back up. Sure wish I had kept playing. May have to give it another shot sometime and try and learn again.

Learning stuff as an adult (especially instruments and languages) is so much harder as an adult

Posted 2 months ago #
  16. sablebrush52

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings

Login to Send PM

I was in a bluegrass band for a couple for years while I was in college. We called ourselves the Chaos Mountain Boys after the floor we all lived on. It started as a lark, but to our surprise we started getting bookings for parties, clubs and other college campuses. We performed at the Topanga Canyon Bluegrass Festival and had a ball. Never made much money at it, but enjoyed ourselves immensely. I did vocals, which was a scream because I have a crap voice, but it worked for bluegrass, and if there was a piano around I'd switch it up with some ragtime.

The thing came to an end when we were approached by a promoter who wanted to develop us and take ue on the concert circuit. Our two leads had to choose between going on the road or going to graduate school, and graduate school won. Ahh...what might have been.

Never much cared for Country and Western, but I loved bluegrass and old timey.

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt. - Mark Twain

It is pointless to argue with a fanatic since a dim bulb can't be converted into a searchlight. - Jesse Silver
    Posted 2 months ago #
  17. alaskanpiper

alaskanpiper

Login to Send PM

Sounds like quite the experience, sable!

Posted 2 months ago #
  18. bouwser

bouwser

Login to Send PM

Man the groups mentioned are all amazing. Some others that I have either scene or listen to regularly:

Ralph Stanley
    David Grisman
    Tony Rice
    Sam Bush
    John Hartford (didn't get a chance to see)
    Tim O'Brien
    Chris Thile (Nickel Creek or Punch Brothers)
    Bela Fleck (Anything by him is top notch in my book)
    Del McCoury and his sons
    Greensky Bluegrass
    Jerry Douglas
    Peter Rowan

Seriously I could keep adding to this list but that might get expansive and boring. Check out the above if you haven't before. I think I've seen everyone but Hartford play and all of them were amazing.

Posted 2 months ago #
  19. tuold

tuold

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I'm a SteelDrivers fan.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-x4xbX1kBM

The pipe is an instrument of civilization.
    Posted 2 months ago #
  20. paulie66scandinavian

Paul

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Stanley Brothers?

Paul The Scandinavian'
    Posted 2 months ago #
  21. craiginthecorn

craiginthecorn

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

For old-school bluegrass, I enjoy Del McCroury and Ralph Stanley. For more a more contemporary sound, Old Crow Medicine Show and Punch Brothers.

Posted 2 months ago #
  22. kcghost

kcghost

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I love traditional bluegrass but those guys are dead or dying. Don't care for the contemporary sound.

Posted 2 months ago #
  23. georged

georged

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I love traditional bluegrass but those guys are dead or dying. Don't care for the contemporary sound.

Hardcore old school stuff is still being done by a few youngsters. (Both were about 30 when this was recorded)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F_CKeb2gPQ8

PS -- It features the absolute worst camera work in the history of the Universe. What the actual F? A five-year-old wearing a blindfold could have done better. Anyway, the sound is OK, so just start it and minimize the window.

Posted 2 months ago #
  24. irishearl

irishearl

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Just discovered a new to me group on Spotify, Town Mountain. Bluegrass the way I like it: up-tempo with fiddle and banjo. Easily in my top 2 groups now.

Posted 2 months ago #
  25. User has not uploaded an avatar

dare66

Login to Send PM

357 String Band

Posted 2 months ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   oldgeezersmoker, irishearl, cortezattic, greeneyes, jpberg