PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

sailorjeremy

Can't Leave
Feb 25, 2014
Virginia
So I've been experimenting with this concept for a little over a year now on my Brigham Country Club and it has produced some pretty neat results. I'll touch on that in a minute. But first, a little background as to what started this experiment. When I first saw this pipe I was very hesitant to buy it because of its "vulnerability" with it being a natural pipe. However, I could not get over how beautiful the briar was in its natural state. Though I had heard of and seen pictures of natural pipes, I had never really seen one in person. It was just a great looking pipe. I asked around the shop to see if any of the local regulars had any experience with natural pipes and I remember one gentleman just so happened to have a natural Savinelli. Though he did not have it on hand, he talked of how much he enjoyed his pipe and how he felt like it had become a part of him over the years watching it change. I asked him about how long it took to really notice and he said roughly 3 years or so to really notice the color of the pipe darken. Even more so on the spots where his hands touched the briar the most. Listening to this man talk about how close he had gotten to this particular pipe got me thinking. Maybe I should get one, and if I did could I get my pipe to become darker even faster? I was still on the edge because of the humid climate. The vulnerability thing was still a big concern to me.
Fast forward to today, I've noticed that my pipe has darkened to a beautiful reddish brown. Also, its glossier in some spots more than others. Mostly where my fingers come into contact with it the most. We all know this happens, but how can you speed up the process? That was my concern. Many smokes later, here is what I've found. The whole process of darkening and protecting your pipe can be expedited with a simple swipe of the thumb...across your forehead :) Every day I would pick up my pipe and even if I wasn't smoking it, I would swipe my thumb across my forehead to collect some of the oil (sebum), and gently rub it onto my pipe. It just made sense to me... sebum protects your face and acts as a natural water repellent. I'm a freaking New Englander on the coast of Virginia...I have plenty of this crap! Why not put it on my pipe? Its bound to happen anyways. Here are a few pictures of the progress that has been made thus far.
Before

After:
You can see how there are some lighter spots where I do not apply oil as often because I still want to maintain the contrast between where I do and don't place my fingers on the pipe.

Thanks for reading! Hopefully this inspired some of you who don't already own one, to go out and get a natural pipe. Its actually a lot of fun watching it change over time. And now you've got yourself a little tip to help speed that up and make that grain really POP!

voorhees

Lifer
May 30, 2012
Gonadistan
I don't have a natural finish briar pipe, but this is a common thing with meers. Oils from you hands and the tobacco color them over time, enhancing the pipe.

Nice looking Brigham.

Jan 8, 2013
Clever idea. I have a Stanwell Silkebrun pipe that had a matte finish when I bought it. After a few years of use and handling, it now shines brighter than most of my newer polished pipes. Of course, it was incidental though. I never thought to intentionally apply natural oils from my skin to the pipe. Very cool man.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
I have the same pipe and it is darkening very nicely. You are spot on re the oils on your skin. They do work on briars although I know guys who still wear white cotton gloves while they smoke their meers.

edgreen

Lifer
Aug 28, 2013
My Nording Signature hasn't colored that perfectly, but I have only smoked ten bowls in it, if that. It is coloring really nicely and differently that others I've seen. Makes it feel more like a personalized pipe.

hawke

Lifer
Feb 1, 2014
Augusta, Ga
Interesting for sure. Personally I do like a nice glossy pipe, but equally well the raw or satin finish appeals to me. I often remove the flaking finish of older pipes bringing them a consistent sheen.

puffdoggie

Can't Leave
Dec 14, 2013
sailorjeremy, very nice. I've been thinking about a natural freehand pipe and now I think I'll get me one.
edgreen, the Nording Signature was the one I was thinking of buying.
I'll direct any spousal objections to the two of you! :rofl:

rx2man

Part of the Furniture Now
May 25, 2012
Well I think the next pipe I make will not be waxed or stained. Sand it out to 12000 and call it good. I like how it colored. Thats a trip.

ithelouniverse

Dec 30, 2013
West Texas
Awesome Awesome Awesome. Love it. The aging is one of the things I love most about wood products. I have a pipe that is gently aging to my touch, but t goes beyond pipes for me. I love the wear pattern in the finish of my mandolin, I love how the neck of my strat has age marks were I've rubbed. It's so cool to watch yourself make an impact on something you love, as opposed to just letting what you love impact you... I know that sounds crazy but that's the best way I can think of to put it into words...

checotah

Feb 7, 2012
Yup, rub the bowl/tenon on nose. Been doing that for over 50 years. Yeah, Shaintiques, us old guys do that! :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.