PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jiujitsubowl

Can't Leave
May 19, 2015
Muskegon Michigan
So my wife is not really into the whole smoking thing. However she does fully support me in doing it. Here are a couple of pics of a wicker box she got me for my "throw it in the car and go" weekend kit.
20150603_230634-600x450.jpg
20150603_230628-600x450.jpg

How does your better half feel about pipes? Has she done anything cool for you in regards to pipe smoking? Post your pics!

voorhees

Lifer
May 30, 2012
Gonadistan
Gary, funny thing. My wife also got me a box almost exactly like your box. I keep my small cellar in it. She is supportive of my pipes and smoking.

jiujitsubowl

Can't Leave
May 19, 2015
Muskegon Michigan
Thats awesome guys! I was looking for a container for awhile. I couldn't find anything nice that wasn't plastic. I wanted something wood. Feeling discouraged i abandoned my search for awhile (went back to using the end table cabinet). So my wife just surprised me with this. Even took time to find one that looked more rustic then natural. Wives who dont smoke but still support in my opinion are pipe gals!

gphenry

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 5, 2014
B is very supportive of my hobbies. She does keep a quiet eye on my PAD and TAD habits, but that is a good thing. Her grandpa was a piper so she and her mom like the memories my smoking brings back. Now, i am not allowed to decorate, but I have been allotted some man space, other than the garage, to keep my pipes and stuff. I too am a lucky guy.

jiujitsubowl

Can't Leave
May 19, 2015
Muskegon Michigan
Awesome @gphenry. Yea i get a garage and a basement. I smoke in the garage on wetter days (i live in Michigan haha) with the door opened, and on nice days the porch or the firepit with some morning coffee. Consider us blessed boys! Pipes and loving women, what else is a man to ask for?

ericusrex

Lifer
Feb 27, 2015
Lucky you! My wife constantly gives me grief about my smoking. But she's nice to look at :D

elbert

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 10, 2015
I have yet to acquire one of them thar 'wifey' thing-a-mabobs. But my friends and roommates just can't comprehend why I would ever need more than one pipe. :crazy:

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Mrs. Cortez (aka Shoe Lady) tolerates my pipe smoking, so long as it doesn't involve Latakia or other heavily fire cured tobaccos. She would prefer I smoke aromatics, but I hardly ever do that. She never contributes to my vice, nor I to hers.
btw, she is afflicted with SAD (shoe acquisition disorder), so what goes around comes around. :rofl:

gambit88

Can't Leave
Jan 25, 2015
My wife would rather I don't smoke but tolerates the pipes as long as I smoke outside. I used to smoke cigarettes and she hated that so the pipe is kind of a lesser of two evils. She does like the smell of my Va blends and likes the smell of the few aeros I keep around.
Now how she puts up with all my other crazy ventures is beyond me....
Gary If you are in the Metro Detroit area you should come to one of our pipe club meetings. Jud normally sets a place and time.

ckgdrums

Lurker
May 20, 2015
My wife is not only supportive, but also joins me with pipes of her own, and her own custom made blend from our local tobacconist. :)

jiujitsubowl

Can't Leave
May 19, 2015
Muskegon Michigan
@ckgdrums that is awesome. My wife wont go that far, but she does enjoy the smell of aros and thats my primary smoke. But i started smoking when she first got pregnant so its understandable why she isnt diving into the culture just yet haha. Of course i do not smoke in the same room as her, she simply gets a wiff of my beard (seems to take on the smell well haha)

brass

Lifer
Jun 4, 2014
United States
My wife tolerates my smoking. I have an enclosed porch with a nice television and a tavern table with benches, which I use for smoking. Actually, pretty much liver there. My wife let's me host a men's smoker 6 to 8 times a year and we watch videos of old blue's concerts, sip on single malts and smoke fine cigars and aged pipe tobacco.
As mentioned, she tolerates my smoking. She refuses to buy me pipes or tobacco paraphernalia for birthdays or holidays. From a practical perspective, it is probably better that I select my own purchases. Still, it would be nice if she gifted me with a pipe on occasion. But I guess I should count my blessings. I wouldn't trade her in for Meg Ryan.

jiujitsubowl

Can't Leave
May 19, 2015
Muskegon Michigan
@brass My wife doesnt buy pipe specific stuff yet, only because she is not fully educated in what to buy. But she has mentioned gift cards and such to pipesandcigars.com so I can get what i like haha.

derfargin

Lifer
Mar 3, 2014
Kennesaw, GA
I don't hear from my wife about my pipe smoking. We both smoked cigs in the past, but have since given it up. I went through a cigar phase, and will still smoke the occasional stick on the golf course, or if meeting up with friends. I'd like to buy her a pipe to see if she'd like to join me on occasion. She's smoked cigars too in the past with me, so it might be fun.
I want to give her a tour of the pipe tobacco's that I have. I'm thinking of packing about 5 or 6 pipes and do a tobacco tasting of the different types of blends (i.e. Straight VA, Aro, English). I did the same thing with single malts years ago with her. Gave her some samplings of malt whiskeys from the different regions of Scotland. She said she liked seeing the differences, so perhaps she'll have the same reaction to the pipe tobacco.

jiujitsubowl

Can't Leave
May 19, 2015
Muskegon Michigan
@derfargin thats perfect! Introduction thru curiosity, culture, and history works best in my opinion. My wife is intrigued by it simply because of its rich history.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
My wife has given me a number of gift pipes -- Johs big apple and freehand with plateau, a Ropp, an upscale Savenelli Opera bulldog, a Missouri Meershaum freehand. When she was down in hip surgery rehab, she bought me a gift certificate for a pipe rack from Two Cousins, and a wall pipe cabinet later. And other pipes, a case of Iwan Ries matches, a Savenelli churchwarden pictured in my avatar, a Sav pipe case, and other items. She quit smoking Camels and Galois years ago, and I keep my pipe smoking on the moderate side, but she's supportive. Of the "bad habits" people can pursue, moderate pipe smoking is probably one of the least problematical. That basket is a perfect in-vehicle pipe center. Just right, and beautifully made. Brava to your wife!

layinpipe

Lifer
Feb 28, 2014
My gf of almost 5 years (3.5 living together) hates it, both cigars and pipes. She tolerates it, but i constantly hear about how i stink of smoke, breath stinks, room smells like smoke/tobacco even though i smoke outside, etc. She is an athlete and has never once used a tobacco product of any type so it's kind of hard to argue with that when she just doesn't understand at all. Funny thing is, i used to only very occasionally smoke a cigar until a few years ago she bought me a couple sampler packs of good sticks from an online retailer for Valentine's Day. Me being the OCD nerd that i am just dove in head first and cigars led to pipes. Now here we are, 2 humidors and probably over a thousand cigars and ~50 pipes plus pipe and cigars accessories later. She kicks herself everyday for buying me those samplers, lol. :puffy:

Status
Not open for further replies.