PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jorgesoler

Can't Leave
Dec 3, 2014
This is one of my best pipes. I know it does not look very nice (this is a estate pipe I got on EBay), but it smokes like a dream. How much? Just £35, which is roughly the same amount of money I spent the other day on a toy for Luna (my cat). Eye catching though it was, she turned her nose down on it like it was a cheep thing, but only to start playing with an onion peal she found in the kitchen. And let me tell you one thing: she was having a ball with it. This is a straight grain and all, no fillers, etc., but it is only 35 quid.
XwevaG.jpg

nurseman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 8, 2014
I have a $40 Aldo Velani that is in my top 5 - I smoke it as my Sunday morning EMP or Chelsea Morning treat ... it also travels well as it can be smoked daily without getting skunked.

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
My collection includes a number of tony English and Italian pipes, but two of my consistently best smokers are cheap bastards by comparison. One is an old Dr. Grabow Duke billiard, and the other is a Rogers prince. I can count on both to deliver satisfying results regardless of the tobacco I choose, and, as such, they have that rare quality of being "magic" pipes.

weezell

Lifer
Oct 12, 2011
Being that 80% of my pipes are not very costly (ie: CHEAP), I have a Sav 320 Author that is unfinished that I LOVE and smokes like none other...

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Many good pipes on the low price end. To name only a few: Stanwell brushed black at P&C for $49.95;

Eriksen by Nording at about $50; a hand carved Mountain Laurel pot by my go-to carver for $48; and

three unfinished Savenelli no-filter pipes for under $50. Two of the Sav's are over 30 years old and going

strong. All these smoke like pipes costing much more. I enjoy and value fine pipes at the higher prices,

but there's no denying that much excellent smoking can be done in modestly priced pipes. You do have

to shop carefully with some knowledge of pipes, pipe makers, and some experience.

weezell

Lifer
Oct 12, 2011
three unfinished Savenelli no-filter pipes for under $50.
They the Shit! A couple more on my list when available. Fills do not affect the smoke for me...

dottiewarden

Lifer
Mar 25, 2014
Toronto
One of my best smokers is a $26 King's Cross Featherweight 110 A Blast.
This was my first pipe and is still frequently smoked. I call it my wild card pipe as I'll put any blend through it without hestation. Being tiny she's super easy to keep clean as well. If I'm ever unsure of which pipe to bring along for the day my trusty KC Feather wins out everytime!

dwt63

Lurker
Jan 7, 2014
My Polinski POKER is my favorite. I like a pipe that sets upright without a stand. The thick walls make it comfortable and cool to hold. Paid around $70.00 for it.

crusader

Can't Leave
Aug 18, 2014
Nebraska
A slight off topic. I have wondered why stems like the op pic do not seat all the way down. I mostly notice this on many Pete bent pipes, Tia.

drennan

Can't Leave
Mar 30, 2014
Normandy
A slight off topic. I have wondered why stems like the op pic do not seat all the way down. I mostly notice this on many Pete bent pipes, Tia.
I'm sure I read somewhere it's to allow for wear and tear, maybe somebody knows better? looks unfinished and half arsed to me.

dottiewarden

Lifer
Mar 25, 2014
Toronto
@drennan
My Chacom Samba 44 has a very slight gap and I read somewhere that it had something to do with the filter, but the gap on the pipe pictured is unacceptable in my view. I hope it's just a question of not having pushed the stem in far enough.

cutter

Lurker
Dec 10, 2014
Just a side question for my education. How can you see "fills"? I'm assuming they look like bondo, but even that is designed to look invisible.
Also, my best smoking pipe is an estate London Ben Wade Standard. My best looking pipe is a five "C" Cavicchi Brandi.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
None of my Petersons fail to have the stem seat against the shank. It looks like some kind of

problem with the engineering on that pipe. If it smokes well, you can go with it, or have it

repaired to give it a better appearance.

geo3rge

Might Stick Around
Oct 28, 2013
Several of my pipes are estates, bought cheaply (cheapest was £5 from a junk shop) and are great smokers. And a couple that were brand new but cheap (£30 or so) are just as good. I have several that are more expensive, too, so a real mixture in my collection. One day I'll buy a high end pipe, but not yet. Right now I'm enjoying a great bowl that cost me no more than £32 and it gives a wonderful smoke. You never can tell. Enjoy your pipes.

Steve

natenice1

Can't Leave
Jun 15, 2014
My best has to be a no name Apple just marked Italy, I bought it at a local B&M in a bin 25 years ago for $15!

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
I got really lucky with my first foray into Estate pipes on Ebay. Picked up a group of 4 briars that all smoke terrifically. For about $10.00 I got very lucky and still smoke each of em regularly. One is an old LHS lovat with what looks like a two piece wooden 'stinger'. I got a bent stemmed basket pipe made in Italy, a blasted apple billiard, made in Italy, and a tasty 4 panel with a square shank and a flat bottom so she sits very nicely when I want to set her down.

Unfortunately, I probably got a little carried away after that and my luck got more expensive.

I've purchased a couple or few clunkers since then, but all in all, it's been a lot of fun!
I will say that having all the positive feedback from these threads has been a big part of my enjoyment, and I want to thank you all for sharing your insights and experiences which have been informative, humorous, and inspiring enabling.

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
<p>I'm going to express the obviously unpopular opinion that my most expensive pipe is also my best smoker. Oh how I wish this were not the case

Status
Not open for further replies.