PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

uberam3rica

Lifer
Sep 7, 2011
Capac, Michigan
at 18 im gonna take a guess that im the youngest person here.this idea poped into my head because i saw a post talking about what you like to drink while smoking. so just wondering, is there anyone else under 21 here? or anyone in their early 20s here?

ace57

Lifer
Jun 21, 2011
I am going to take a shot at this one and say I think if anyone on here was under 18 Kevin would pull them off the site.

uberam3rica

Lifer
Sep 7, 2011
Capac, Michigan
well id assume so, i mean is there any one else whos 18.if i wanted to be technical i could say im older then anyone born after may 13th because thats my birthday. but that doesnt really matter because its just a few months.im just wondering if im the youngest on here.

sherlock

Can't Leave
Aug 21, 2011
I am going to guess you're right. I am 27 and would guess I am on the younger side of average.

lonestar

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Edgewood Texas
I know there are some under 21 members here, cant recall any names at the moment.

Seems like there was someone on here awhile back that was under 18 and was planning to take up a pipe on his birthday(or maybe already had and was just bluffing a bit).

I'm 32 myself. Bought my first pipe when I was about 20. Still have that pipe too

tslex

Lifer
Jun 23, 2011
Although I am of 1960 vintage, I from time to time act like a teenager. Does that count?

brewshooter

Lifer
Jun 2, 2011
One of the brewing boards I'm on has a strict "no one under 21," policy. In truth, it works out best that way. We've had a few new members that seemed like they really were interested in the brewing hobby and not making prison hooch, but, either way, if you're not legal, you get sent a nice email explaining the policy and asking you to come back once you are.

yuri66

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 17, 2010
I will have to agree that admitted 18 will be the youngest age on the board without Kevin yanking them off....Now that said I am well uh, ahm, eh, hmmmm, :roll: I dun did forgot my age, but I feel mighty young, at least today.....Naw I am 45....but never feel quiet like 45 most days like 20's and some days like Yoda in the 800's :crying:

dylan793

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 12, 2011
Buchanan, GA
24 here. Pretty sure early 20's pipe smokers are a rarity. 18 year old pipe smokers even more so! There's no reason this hobby shouldn't or can't be enjoyed by the younger crowd. Nowadays with the internet and everyone being connected 24/7, you can learn more about pipe smoking in a week than in a year before all the technology. Something that should also appeal to 20-somethings, is the affordability of pipe smoking. If you do it right, you can smoke pretty darn cheap on a pipe. Good MM cobs are dirt cheap, made well, and don't require a whole lot of special attention. Pipe tobacco is relatively cheap also. My local tobacco shop does $3 an ounce on their "house" blends. And good tins are inexpensive as well. Most hovering in the $10 range. Im into craft beers, single malt scotch, small batch bourbon, and pipe tobacco is by FAR the most affordable of my vices.
Sorry for the long winded post. Us young people are an excitable bunch 8)

admin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now
Staff member
Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
pipesmagazine.com
Ben, you are currently the youngest active forum poster right now.
There was a guy here about a year or so ago that was 16 at the time. I checked into it and he lives in one of the European countries where the law allows one to smoke at the age of 16.
In the U.S. the legal smoking age is determined at the state level. It varies from 18 - 21 depending on the state.
Many online retailers state that they will not sell to anyone under 21 just to be on the safe side.
I checked and Michigan's legal tobacco age is 18.
Phew! Close one Ben! You get to stay. ;-)

nathaniel

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 4, 2011
22 here... I started when I was 18 though. Um now, isn't the younger Dow brother 18? I forget both their first names at the moment, my bad...

nikko

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 15, 2011
23 myself, and I think I'll have to agree with dylan, while there are a few of us on here in our twenties, I think it is still quite the rarity. I have been to one my local B&M's enough that some of the staff recognize me, but I still get a lot of looks of great, here comes another dumb kid getting cigars for a poker game and even funnier looks when I walk into the pipe section of the store...

dylan793

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 12, 2011
Buchanan, GA
Nikko: I got the same reaction when I went to my local tobacco store for the first time. I started asking all sorts of questions about pipes and he just had a very cautious/confused look about him the whole time. Somewhat comical actually.

Status
Not open for further replies.