Pipes Magazine » General Pipe Smoking Discussion

Tags:  No tags yet. 

Young(er) Pipe Smokers

(52 posts)
  1. jmsutton

jmsutton

Login to Send PM

I have noticed among my friends, and in culture in general, that pipe smoking is becoming more and more popular among young guys. I love it. I'm 22 and have been puffing for about 5 years. My friends all got into it more when they turned 18. Now when we get together, we always end up sitting around in our dad's office or on the backporch smoking a pipe and talking.

I wanted to start forum to see how many "younger" guys there are on here, and ask why smoking a pipe appeals to you. For me, it has always been kind of a heritage thing. My dad and I have talked about it and there have been pastors/theologians in my family for a few generations, and all have smoked a pipe (all we can recall is my great-great-grandfather, we're not sure beyond that). I always remember by great-grandpa Sutton always smoking a kaywoodie standard and saying that he smoked half and half "for years and years". My grandfather breaks out a Savenelli that his father gave him for Christmas a few years before he passed away on special occasions and stocks it up with some SG Skiff. My dad really enjoys just a simply Dr. Grabow with some Carter Hall. So for me, enjoying fine tobacco (cigars and pipes) is something that Sutton men do. My wife is OK with it, so it's good to be a Sutton.

Please don't feel as if I am trying to eliminate responses from all demographics. If you're what you would not consider "younger", I would love some wisdom, experience, and insight on why you started smoking at a younger age, or why so many guys around my age are now smoking pipes more.

Excited so see some responses.

In pursuit of chivalrous empire.
    Posted 4 years ago #
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

If you don't want to inhale tobacco, that leaves cigars and pipes. Cigars can be good at times, although expensive, but nothing satisfies like a pipe does. Advice: rather than buy multiple cheap pipes, try to save enough cash to get a good mid-grade from $250--$400. Buy some meerschaums to have a rotation.

Posted 4 years ago #
  3. pylorns

James Foster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Define younger?

Posted 4 years ago #
  4. lordnoble

lordnoble

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I like how $250-$400 is mid-grade for you gigger48. I'd consider that high-grade. Anything more than that and I'd consider it in the collector territory.

Just my 2 centavos.

-Jason

The preceding statement is not to be construed as fact, but merely conjecture.

Proud member of the BlackBlood Society
    Posted 4 years ago #
  5. puffy

puffy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Starting when you're young really isn't all that new..A lot of us did..I started when I was 29.That's not all that young to some folks.Now that I'm past 70 though I look at 29 as being some what young.My feeling is the more of us the better.I'm always glad when I hear of new pipe smokers no matter their age.

Life's most valuable treasure is..Love
    Posted 4 years ago #
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

Considering that pipes have sold for up to $10,000 and more, a $400 Castello Sea Rock or Old Antiquari is hardly high grade. Savinelli's lowest priced hand made pipe is in the $200 range, so I would put their machine made pipes in the low grade range. Same for Ardor, Ser Jacopo. Lanatra, etc. There are exceptions: Nording freehands, around $100, use the same quality briar as their mid and high end pipes. David Jones handmade pipes once sold for over $200 in rusticated form, but can now be found on ebay for around $100. There are always exceptions but the goal is higher quality than machine made pipes which often leave something to be desired in engineering and finish, not mention the age and seasoning of the briar.

Posted 4 years ago #
  7. dryseason91

dryseason91

Login to Send PM

I'm 23 and bought my first pipe about this time two years ago. I'm not sure what attracted me to pipe smoking in the first place; I did, at that point, smoke cigarettes, which I never really liked, but I did maybe have some notion that there could be a more refined way to enjoy tobacco. I was even more drawn when I did a bit of research and discovered that there was a whole culture of pipe smoking (of which this forum is an eminent example) - the technical depth and richness of the hobby, its history, its sense of community, the variety of pipes and blends and tobaccos: it all simply enthralled me.

One thing I can say for sure is that I didn't do it for the image. I don't advertise the fact that I smoke a pipe and I don't do it in public. It would draw too much attention. For me, it's just a thing of sheer, personal, meditative pleasure.

Tenants of the house,
    Thoughts of a dry brain in a dry season.
    - 'Gerontion'
    Posted 4 years ago #
  8. bulletsnbriars

bulletsnbriars

Login to Send PM

I am 18, and I told my dad last december all I wanted for that birthday was a pipe. He got me a nice little Peterson. Back in my hometown there's a group of us young bucks; none older than 21 that I've of mentored out of cheap cigars and into pipes.

I don't know why it continues to surprise everyone, maybe it's just because I'm connected to the scene, but pipes aren't just for the older generation anymore (no offense intended), I'm very happy to report that piping is alive and well and will continue with my generation. You just got to look.

Anyway, I got into piping because some of the people I respected the most were pipers. My old pastor; one of the greatest men I've had the pleasure of meeting lit up a Peterson every now and then, as did his son, and my Dad and my older brother, and of course there is my ultimate literary and theological hero C.S. Lewis. What can I say; not an original thought in my head haha. But then I got hooked on cigarettes; which gave me a bigger respect for the pipe. By seeing what bad tasting tobacco is , I got a respect for good tasting tobacco. I'm still trying to knock the cigarettes; but to me, pipes are the safest way to get old lady N. So those are my plethora of reasons for piping. Number 1 though is the community; camaraderie. Just being a piper brings you into a very special world. I have been taken into homes and given a place to sleep just because I'm a piper. I've engaged conversations and met with some of the most interesting people, just because I was smoking a pipe. I have witnessed unparalleled generosity; just because I smoke tobacco out of a pretty hunk of wood.

Growing up, all through highschool, I was the drifter. I was the good youthgroup kid. I was the theater kid. I was the skater lid, the metal kid, the anime kid. Maybe its just because I've grown up and am amoung mature people now; but no "scene" has ever connected me to such genuinely kind and interesting people like piping has.

I love everything about it.

"Of course you can save money by denying yourself all those little vicious enjoyments for fifty years; but then what can you do with it? What use can you put it to? Money can't save your infinitesimal soul. All the use that money can be put to is to purchase comfort and enjoyment in this life; therefore, as you are an enemy to comfort and enjoyment where is the use of accumulating cash?" -Mark Twain
    Posted 4 years ago #
  9. mcitinner1

mcitinner1

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

"I like how $250-$400 is mid-grade for you gigger48."

I don't think your giving good advice gigger. There are many very good pipes available WAY under $200. For myself, I can't see spending any where near your numbers on a pipe. Now on tobacco, that's entirely different. Buy now while it's cheaper.

tinner

Stan
    Godfrey Daniels!!
    The Plenipotent Key to Cope's Correct Card of the Peerless Pilgrimage to Saint Nicotine of the Holy Herb:
    Posted 4 years ago #
  10. lordnoble

lordnoble

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

gigger48, I guess the point of my post was one from the angle as to not discourage new pipe smokers (whether they be young or old) from getting into the hobby because they can't afford, as you put it, a $400 mid-grade pipe. If I were to have tried that when I started down this track, I'd have never gotten out of the starting gate. $400 is a ton of money for someone who isn't sure if they want to continue in this hobby. None of this applies to the OP's request, since he's clearly in this for the long haul, so in this case your statement isn't bad. I'm more concerned that some OTHER new/young pipe smoker (or would be pipe-smoker) will read your post and take it as an absolute.

YMMV

-Jason

Posted 4 years ago #
  11. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

Tinner, I can only suggest that you compare the engineering,finishing, and smoking quality of a handmade or at least handfinished pipe. After trying out the less expensive pipes, it was an easy decision to switch to those made with much more care.

Posted 4 years ago #
  12. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

Lordnoble, I gave a suggestion, not an absolute. I, too, started out with low end pipes, but was lucky enough to include a meerschaum which smoked much better. Talking to other smokers, retailers, etc., I was advised to go to handmade pipes. My first "collection" was 3 pipes at college, including a meer. I smoked each 3 times a day, so they got 48 hours rest. If a new smoker can include one handmade pipe even for $200, he might detect the difference and appreciate smoking more as he redirects his buying choices.

Posted 4 years ago #
  13. cmdrmcbragg

cmdrmcbragg

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I don't think we can consider Petes and Savs as low grade just because they are factory made. Low grade would be your drug store, cobs and basket pipes. I think Dr Grabows, MM cobs and no names. They may smoke fine but they aren't much to look at and their shapes are dull. No offense to those that swear by them, but I've had them all and they were the first ones to go because they didn't do anything for me and I was hardly reaching for them once I added more pipes to my racks.

I'm 28 (29 tomorrow) so I'm not sure if I still count as "young", but I started smoking a pipe just over a year ago (July 2013) and took to it because I wanted variety in my tobacco, I always thought a pipe was rather gentlemanly (read: refined), my grandpa was a bit of a pipe smoker and I just enjoy old things. That and I have a way of finding hobbies that can be done within the home, which is how I got into woodworking, costume making, and pipe/cigar smoking.

Posted 4 years ago #
  14. lordnoble

lordnoble

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

gigger, I'm sorry if I implied you were dealing in absolutes. What I meant was that some new smokers might mistake your suggestion as an absolute. That's all.

-Jason

Posted 4 years ago #
  15. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

Honda and Toyota=midgrade; Acura and Lexus=high grade; Aston Martin, Ferrari, Bentley, Rolls Royce=ultra high grade. Chrysler products and all the other very low reliability cars=low grade.

Posted 4 years ago #
  16. algenib

algenib

Login to Send PM

I'm a 25 year old smoker. I've been smoking since I was 18, but I'm still uncomfortable doing it in public. I don't want it to be seen as some stupid affectation, but I guess I'm just a few years away from it not being *too* strange. I've smoked in public a few times before, and I always get weird looks and people asking me "what's in that thing?"

I came around to it because my mom bought be a pipe for my 18th birthday. I'd never really thought of smoking one before, but I've always liked old timey things, so she thought it was a good gift, and she was right. I don't think she expected it to grow into such a large hobby, but she's mostly supportive of it.

Posted 4 years ago #
  17. mcitinner1

mcitinner1

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Gigger I agree to disagree. I drive a low grade 1996 F250 with 288k miles on it and it still has the original exhaust system. Pipes work the same way.

Posted 4 years ago #
  18. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

mcitinner1, we have all heard of exceptions. Notice I did not include that Ford or all Fords in the group of low grades. Some Fords have been reliable and some have not. As a rule, though, statistics don't lie; ask a lot of frustrated car owners. As a rule, older aged briar, better workmanship and engineering produce a better smoking pipe, and these traits you will not find in most very low priced pipes. I gave two exceptions above and am sure there are others as well as super deals to be found.

Posted 4 years ago #
  19. wcannoy

Walt Cannoy

Login to Send PM

I'm certainly not young anymore, but I was about 21 when I started smoking pipes, and 23 when I started carving them. The attraction for me was the nostalgic connection it made for me with the older pipesmoking generations of my family, particularly my uncle. I remember visiting his house as a kid, it always smelled of pipe tobacco goodness!

Posted 4 years ago #
  20. smeigs

smeigs

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

26 here. Been smoking a pipe about 3 years. Love the culture and the history. I love the variety and the flavors I can get out of a blend. Nothin better than good friends, good drinks and a good smoke. I would say about 40 percent of our pipe club here is under 40, so we have a lot of younger folks. As for your discussions above... I guess everyone has a different idea of what low, mid, high and ultra grade pipes are. I smoke what I like... I dont care if its 20 bucks or 200. If it fits my hand well, is aesthetically pleasing to me and feels natural, I buy it. I have 20 dollar pipes that feel better and smoke better than my pipes that were hundreds of dollars. I have also had pipes that I bought for hundreds that end up breaking on me within a year or so. I have 20 dollar pipes I have been smoking non stop and have never had an issue with. To each their own I suppose. As long as your enjoying the experience I dont think it matters.

“A pipe in the mouth makes it clear that there has been no mistake–you are undoubtedly a man.”
    Posted 4 years ago #
  21. User has not uploaded an avatar

tppytel

Login to Send PM

I'm pushing 40 these days, but started smoking a pipe at 16 or 17. (Our local tobacconist was 90-something and a noted counter-culture rebel in his youth... either he couldn't see my crappy fake ID clearly or he just didn't care.) I didn't have any pipe smokers in my family (a couple cigar smokers, though), but I always admired the contemplative aspect of it. I'm also a lover of intricate systems in many contexts, so learning the nuances of tobacco varieties, packing techniques, bowl sizes, etc. was appealing.

Posted 4 years ago #
  22. hiplainsdrifter

hiplainsdrifter

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I am pretty sure I am out of the "younger" category now at 34, but I started smoking a pipe at age 18. I was enthralled with tobacco culture even earlier though. Initially, I definitely started smoking a pipe because of the image. As a young 20-something, when everyone was sucking down cigs at a party, I would bust out my pipe. To me, it says a person is different, in a good way. It is gentleman and wild man all rolled into one. I did read a lot of Sherlock Holmes as a kid, so I am sure that was something of an influence. I always really enjoyed the taste and relaxing effects of tobacco. I smoked only aromatics and occasional cigarettes for years- although infrequently. It is only in the last 5 years or so that I have discovered the incredible array of fine tobaccos that are available. One thing I would say to caution younger smokers- find a way to balance tobacco enjoyment with a somewhat healthy lifestyle. Tobacco is only one thing to enjoy in life, there are many more. I have found that for me the most enjoyable experiences have required me to be in good physical shape. So, like everything, enjoy in moderation. I could eat BBQ pulled pork for lunch every day, but I don't- it is more of a special treat. Same idea here.

Posted 4 years ago #
  23. lostandfound

lostandfound

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I knew I would be a smoker of some sort since I was very little. Eight or ten maybe. I started smoking cigarettes when I was 16, and began switching to the pipe when I was maybe 21 or 22. I'm almost 26 now. Something about smoking a pipe felt very "Me", so I picked up a MM Hardwood, and a bag of Blackberry "pipe tobacco" (actually, it was RYO), and began my journey. Now it's now, and I'm a full fledged piper. I quit smoking cigarettes over a year ago, and haven't looked back.

Oh, and by the way... A Rad Davis pipe, from my understanding, is one of the best smoking pipes a person can smoke. A Rad Davis can also be had for well under $1000 dollars. That puts "High Grade" at about $1000 dollars max, and I know for a fact that Rad sells many of his pipes at around $350, so really... that puts "High Grade", at around $350. Anything more than that and you're paying for a spectacular reputation- like a Jess Chonowitsch, or a Bang, for example.

Jerod
    Posted 4 years ago #
  24. snagstangl

snagstangl

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Im 32, been piping for I guess 3 years now. I was part of a pipe club in a bigger town before I moved to a smaller town. Im the only one smoking a pipe as far as I can tell. As for a why, cigars. Smoke a pipe while letting your cigars age. they all have about 3 years on them now.

I take my factory pipes, check the fit and finish and clean them up, tweek the stem opening on the button with a file or other things, I guess those is my hand finished pipes. Well, I do have Castello and another artisan made they smoke well but not so much that I might spend $400 for more. I often smoke in my 1999 chrysler concorde with 305,000 miles on it. I guess I will smoke and drive my exceptions.

But we all know it is Technique, not the pipe.

Statistics don't lie but, interpretation...

Posted 4 years ago #
  25. reichenbach

reichenbach

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

If you're a young pipe smoker and have a trust fund, raid it for a $400 mid-range pipe. If not, get whatever pipes you can afford. Just keep a rotation. As your income grows, expand your range of pipes and tobaccos (or don't if you've found some thing works).

I'm 30. I started smoking a cigars and pipes at 18 then started smoking cigarettes at 21. Smoked those yokes exclusively until about 27 when I started to mix the pipe back and I've been steady quit on the cigs for about 2 weeks now and finally feel like a 'pipe smoker' because I only reach for my pipe when I want to smoke.

My dad smokes a pipe. I'm pretty sure that half of my posts on here start with, "Well, my dad says...'. My great grandfather smoked a pipe too. We still have one of his pipes. It's a short church warden and he smoked Flying Dutchman. My dad smokes Grabows and Super Value Black and Gold. Do what works and if it stops working, change.

Posted 4 years ago #
  26. jmsutton

jmsutton

Login to Send PM

Great reactions! Thanks guys. As for pipes, I've speant about $60 on one, but that's the most as of now. My wife doesn't mind me smoking as long as I don't spend too much money, and I don't mind that. No pipe is worth losing your wife. haha. It seems that the deep thought, contemplative nature of pipe smoking is the overall attraction for us.

Happy puffing.

Posted 4 years ago #
  27. mrenglish

mrenglish

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

That is another nice thing about pipe smoking. Once you have a pipe or three, buying pipe tobacco is probably the best bang for the money you spend. Even dropping $25 retail on a tin will give you a good week or two of smoking enjoyment.

While I am not in the younger crowd any more, I do see a lot of college students getting into pipe smoking at Smokers' Haven. It helps they are just north of the university campus. Anyway, it is nice to see as the younger folks will keep this hobby going.

Michael
    Posted 4 years ago #
  28. mcitinner1

mcitinner1

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I'm happily surprised to see so many younger folks on here. I'm 61 years young.

tinner

Posted 4 years ago #
  29. cmdrmcbragg

cmdrmcbragg

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

@reichanbach, do you try to get your old man to try different blends? My pops has never been a smoker, but I can only imagine trying to get my grandpa to smoke something other than H&H.

"You should try this?"
    "What is it?"
    "Escudo. It's Virginia and Perqiue."
    "Per-what? Why the hell is it round?"
    "You have to rub it out. Or stuff it."
    "That's crazy talk, boy. Why should I do all-a that?"

Posted 4 years ago #
  30. User has not uploaded an avatar

larrylegend

Login to Send PM

I'm 30 and have been smoking a pipe for 3 years now. I started because I was drawn to cigars and pipes, of the two choices pipes were more appealing to me due to variety and also economically. Many of the guys I hunt with smoke pipes and cigars. It appealed more to me to spend a few hundred dollars on a pipe and some tobacco that will last much longer than a handful of $20 cigars that will be gone in a few months. I also enjoy how pipe smoke seems to not cling to your clothes and hair like cigar smoke will. My wife certainly appreciates that as well.

As far as pipes go, I think that it may be difficult for a new smoker to understand what makes a good pipe. You can certainly get good pipes that cost $100 and you can certainly get a dud that costs $400. Your chances of getting a dud at the $250+ range is lower than at the $100 range but you need to be able to differentiate between a well engineered pipe and one that may not smoke as well. This can be difficult for new smokers. I think that cobs are a great way to build up a rotation while you learn the basics of smoking and then move into better and better pipes as you go along and as you figure out what types of pipes you like.

Posted 4 years ago #
  31. werebear

werebear

Login to Send PM

I'm 24 and I am the only person I know, besides y'all, that smokes a pipe. I have a couple friends that flirt with it but that's it and while it gets lonely it doesn't effec me that much. Its good to know I'm not alone.

Til shade is gone, til water is gone. Into the shadow with teeth bared,
    Screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder's eye on the Last Day.
    Posted 4 years ago #
  32. jeepnewbie

jeepnewbie

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I started about 18-19 (going on 33 now so still young), I was always fascinated with a pipe. I loved the smell of them even though no one in my family that I know of smokes one, had a friend's dad who did. Most of the family I don't have communication with. I was at a friends house back then and he had a corncob pipe, not sure of the brand. I believe it was a drugstore brand. I really enjoyed the taste of it, and found my first pipe as a Dr. Grabow on sale at Walmart.

I stuck with it as I enjoy setting back filling a bowl and relaxing. Everything about filling, smoking, then cleaning is relaxing to me. Making a pipe and restoring pipes is also relaxing. I show my wife them before and after on the restoring process, she laughs but thinks they look great. I do like cigars every now and then but can't bring myself to spend 10+ for a stogy and it be gone after an hour. For 4 stogies I can get a basket pipe and 1-2 ounces of store jar tobacco and enjoy them a lot more.

"Keep it Classy"
    Posted 4 years ago #
  33. dhizzy

dhizzy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Cmdrmcbragg....LoL!!!

By the eternal! There is a man whose form should be cast in deathless bronze and the statue placed in every college in the land. It is not book-learning young men need, nor instruction about this and that, but a stiffening of the vertebrae which will cause them to be loyal to a trust, to act promptly, concentrate their energies; do the thing - "carry a message to Garcia!" Elbert Hubbard "A Message to Garcia" 1899
    Posted 4 years ago #
  34. dryseason91

dryseason91

Login to Send PM

Werebear - I'm in the same boat, know no other piper old or young. I don't really mind. For me, smoking a bowl is the best kind of solitary pursuit. Or...well...almost the best.

Posted 4 years ago #
  35. bulldogbriar89

bulldogbriar89

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I am 25 and have been pipe smoking for 2 years now. I bought a old pipe I was planing on fixing up and selling, then as I read into the art of it it intrigued me allot. I always said I wanted to quit cigarets, so I bought some tobacco and did allot more research, and as I actually got into smoking my pipe I found out how relaxing and calming it was and I bought more pipes and more tobaccos not i'm an addict to buying tobacco, and old pipes and fixing them up instead of cigarets.

"Sometimes I cannot help but to think that too often we transform our smoking practice into a fetish--chasing the vaunted and supreme--things with allure and cachet--whilst forgetting the simple pleasures of pipe smoking. Making things too complicated sure can lose some easy moments..."
    -Patrick (ae1pt)
    Posted 4 years ago #
  36. munday

munday

Login to Send PM

jmsutton - theres a lot of great advice out there - regarding selecting a pipe - do you like the look of the pipe - does it fit YOU - and most importantly is a a good
    smoking pipe! I have lots of favorites - I don't like the word "cheap" - I have some inexpensive pipes that smoke great - I have a Erik Nording that I paid $160 for -
    love the look and it smoke incredibly well - then theres a custom pipe with my family coat of arms carved in the front - $250 - I have one with laser etching - Eagle
    and Special Forces on it - regardless - they are briar pipes and they smoke goooooood!
    Age - I just turned 67 Oct 2nd - started smoking cigars and a pipe when I was in Vietnam - have smoked both (more pipe than cigar) off and on until 3-years ago -
    when I stayed with it - especially my pipe and I truly enjoy it every day! Like you - my Grandfather smoked a pipe as did my other Grandfather in Australia - we have
    very few photos of him since he died when my mother was 6 - however - we have one of him at a racetrack smoking his pipe. Its cool when its a generational thing.
    Semper Fi

Posted 4 years ago #
  37. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I'm certainly not young, relatively speaking. I had one of those moments not long ago that I was usually the oldest guy in the room, wherever I went, ha ha. But, it is good to see so many younger pipe folk. Our pipe club is almost all younger guys. The major difference I see is that I never know who the hell the bands are that ya'll are talking about, ha ha.

Michael
    Posted 4 years ago #
  38. User has not uploaded an avatar

thekiltedone

Login to Send PM

I'm 25 now but have been smoking a pipe for three and half years. I don't really know what got me interested in pipes but I ha always had a bit of an interest. I do smoke in public without worrying what other people think, I think I'm the only pipe smoker in my area, when I smoke at work I quite often get comments on how dad/grandad used to smoke a pipe but haven't seen someone with a pipe in years.

Posted 4 years ago #
  39. echie

echie

Login to Send PM

I found this thread fascinating, because just the other day I told my wife how pleasantly surprised I was to realise, first at the Dutch forum and then here, how many "younger" pipe smokers like me there were around.

Now, the fascinating bit is that I'm 36 (started smoking pipes about 2 years ago), so my concept of "younger" might need some adjustment

Get Pipe Notebook for Android on the Play Store!
    http://pipenotebook.com
    Posted 4 years ago #
  40. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Forums members tend to be pipe devotees, so high end prices are really pretty high. If you looked at the
    overall price of pipes worldwide, I think anything over $100 or another currency equivalent would be
    high grade on the bell curve of what people can and do pay for pipes. When you get over $400, you are
    into the stratosphere although some of the pipes in Forums make that seem like a fairly ordinary price.
    Just to keep it perspective.

Posted 4 years ago #
  41. iamn8

Nate

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Reading this thread it strikes me how the youngest of us are very quick to pay homage and try not to upset those of us more "advanced" in years. I'll be damned if I can't think of another interest where this holds true. The addon of "not to upset those not my age" type comment. Anyways, it just struck me as I've seen it quite a bit here. I'm not making a judgement, just an observation

Nate @ Moody AL
    Posted 4 years ago #
  42. User has not uploaded an avatar

youngsterpuffer

Login to Send PM

I'm 20, soon to be 21. I started smoking a pipe, not because I have relatives who smoked, or knew people who smoked them (because I didnt), but because I had learned from a doctor one day I was in a tobacco shop that it was his way to relax. I ended up working at that tobacco shop for about a year, and he would come in and buy the same thing. Two tubs of paladin blackcherry. He told me I should try it and see what I thought. So I did. And I fell in love with it. When I became a nurse aid, I couldn't smoke much because of time constraints. I am now an emergency medical technician working for an ambulance service that covers an entire county, and I have found that after a day of rough calls, all I need to do is sit down and smoke, and I am completely relaxed and all my troubles fade away. My roomate asked me what smoking a pipe is like, and when he tried, he fell in love with it. We both actually quit smoking cigarettes. I still chew snuff when I'm working, nowhere near patients, but it's a rare occasion. I am finding now when I go outside to get the mail, and people see me smoking, nobody bats an eye, even though I have a baby face that makes me look like I'm 16. It's just beginning to get more popular for my age group.

Posted 4 years ago #
  43. User has not uploaded an avatar

youngsterpuffer

Login to Send PM

And I still keep a pouch of paladin around, it was my favorite for a long time.

Posted 4 years ago #
  44. jorgesoler

jorgesoler

Login to Send PM

I am a young fella of 46 years old of age and I had my first pipe before I was 18. I am glad to see this hobby is not dying out in the end.

Posted 4 years ago #
  45. User has not uploaded an avatar

boilermakerandy

Login to Send PM

I'm 49 and started smoking a pipe when I was 27. It's probably not the healthiest of pursuits but no one gets out of this life alive and I figure one might as well enjoy the journey. I'm glad to see younger folks getting into it.

Posted 4 years ago #
  46. wlrountree

wlrountree

Login to Send PM

I'm 29 and started when I was 24. Had never been around a pipe smoker but my best friends dad had decided he was going to start smoking and bought a pipe and cheap Apple flavored tobacco. My bestfriend and I ended up riding around in his dad's truck one night and found his dad's pipe in the door. After some persuasion, my buddy packed it up, and I mean packed it. Your face would turn red when you pulled on it for a smidge of smoke. I had smoked cigars a fair amount, but they were mostly flavored drew estates java waffes. I couldn't believe how much better the pipe tasted and went out and bought me a pipe and 4 kinds of tobaccos that very next weekend. Though looking back, it was not tasty nor enjoyable, I had no idea what it should be like. I chewed that plastic stem to a nub and ended up breaking the bowl on that cheap, lacquer coated thing they sold as a pipe(I still have it though it is unsmokable) it's been a journey and I won't lie and say it's always been enjoyable but there are times that everything lines up and it's perfect. Those are the times I smoke for. Recently found out that my great-grandfather smoked a pipe. I knew he smoked hav-a-Tampa cigars but never a pipe. That's added a little nostalgia to it for me, but when people ask me, and the younger guys around me ask me a lot, why would I smoke a pipe, I don't know what to tell them. I'm not trying to standout or impress, I just enjoy it. So there's my reason, I smoke because I enjoy it and no other reason.

You can't learn to ride a horse by watching it run around in a pen
    Posted 4 years ago #
  47. smokeytay33

smokeytay33

Login to Send PM

Great to see that there are a lot of young smokers! I'm 23, will be 24 in a few months, and I started when I was 21. I love it.

I am a girl, but my Grandpa smoked a pipe when he was younger. I faintly remember it. And I found out my dad owned a pipe in college, though he prefers the occasional cigar more now.

"All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them." -Walt Disney, fellow pipe smoker
    Posted 4 years ago #
  48. tarheel1

tarheel1

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I am 36 and have been smoking a pipe since I was 20. Being in the army, everyone either smoked cigs or dipped?chewed. I never wanted to smoke cigs or dip and when returning from deployments, we would smoke nice cigars to celebrate. I wanted to try cherry tobacco and rolling papers were not working so I went to a pipe. I had a friend that smoked a pipe and he educated me. I started off with a nice 150.00 Meer and eventually bought a bent bulldog and another meer. When I moved down to Texas back in 2005 I really got into it. I quite smoking aromatics and discovered Dunhill, Ashton,and Ferndown. I gave up most of my petes except my Sherlock Squire and focused on the higher end British pipes.

I met my wife and 2010 and stupidly sold all my pipes and gave up smoking. Started smoking Cigars back on my wedding night in 2012 and my birthday OCt of last year got back into pipes.

I have no problem with younger people smoking a pipe. My one issue is smoking a pipe because it completes a look. Same with wearing glasses with no prescription. I find it poserish. Smoke a pipe because you enjoy it and for no other reason.

Posted 4 years ago #
  49. User has not uploaded an avatar

youngsterpuffer

Login to Send PM

A lot of people scoff at younger smokers, but when it comes down to it, we keep the hobby alive. And no doubt, all of us are very eager and happy to learn from the elders on this site.

Posted 4 years ago #
  50. lordofthepiperings

lordofthepiperings

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

On the 22nd of February in the year of our Lord 2015 I will reach 30 years of age.

I got into pipe smoking when I was 18. If the screen name wasn't obvious, I turned 18 when the final Lord of the Rings movie came out. I headed down to a local B&M and picked up a basket church warden, which I still have, and some house bulk cherry blend. It was off and on for about 7 years. About five years ago I was havin a pipe on the patio when my then girlfriend came over. Her reaction was, "I didn't know you smoked a pipe. That's sexy!". Needless to say that was the moment I decided it had to become a more regular occurrence lol.

My stepdad had one pipe that he'd have a bowl from a couple times a year. My dad gave the pipe a try in his 20s, but Captain Black steered him away from the briar lol. I can't think of any family members who smoked a pipe. Hopefully I'll be the one to start the line.

"The thinking man always smokes a Peterson." -Peterson of Dublin
    Posted 4 years ago #
  51. psychpipes

psychpipes

Login to Send PM

I am 26 (nearly 27), and have been smoking a pipe for almost 3 years. Got started because of my Dad, but I originally smoked cigars. The pipe just feels right. Smoking a pipe is just a relaxing good time. I get looks sometimes, but they seem to be curiosity rather than disdain. In my neighborhood I'm known as the pipe guy by all the kids, and I like it. As for pipes themselves, I love Italian pipes. I own a few Savinellis (one of which I won from this website's caption contest last year), a couple Morettis, and one Mario Grandi. I love'em all. I like a little flash to my pipes, and the Italians are certainly capable of that! That being said, right now $150-200 is about the top I'd ever spend for a pipe. I'd rather hunt eBay or etsy for some good deals on estate pipes, and save all the rest of the money I would have spent on a "$400 mid-grade pipe" on baccy. Tobacco is constantly being hit with increased costs, so I want it now. Those S.Bang pipes will be floating around long after tobacco is unobtainable. High grade or low, can't smoke a pipe without something to fill it.

Posted 4 years ago #
  52. delro

delro

Login to Send PM

23 here, started smoking pipes a little over a year ago. I have and old chest in my room from my great grandfather and on hot summer days you can smell an old sweet pipe tobacco smell. I finally got around to asking older family members about it and low and behold most of my older family members all smoke tobacco pipes. So I guess you could say the love of the hobby was "passed" down to me in a way. I have tried to turn a few of my friends onto it, but most are pretty casual and will only smoke when they come over and I let them use one of my pipes. It would be nice to have other like minded and aged people to smoke with.
    Good Post

Matt

Posted 4 years ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   bouwser, headhunter, buzkirk, sumusfumus, odobenus, disinformatique, donjgiles, ormazd, justanotherdude