PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

lincolnsbark

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 11, 2013
Hello all, I have decided that this year I will be giving all of my friends pipes for christmas. While many of my friends have expressed interest in smoking a pipe and even tried a bit of one of mine none have bought their own. So i decided that this year for christmas I will give some of my friends and roommates a corn cob and a bit of tobacco to sample.
Today I ordered a bag smokeable seconds from Missouri Meerschaum and will be spreading some briar based cheer this Christmas Season.

shayde

Can't Leave
Oct 4, 2013
Me and one of my best buds are doing the same thing, by we're gifting MM Washingtons from a local B&M at $4 a pop it's no big deal :)

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
You don't want to get in their faces with instructions, but the ones that seem especially interested might like a few

key pieces of advice. Beginners are often mortified when the pipe goes out, as all pipes do. A brief pitch about

cleaning the pipe after each smoke, along with roth's good pipe cleaner gift idea, would help, and a tip about resting

the pipe. But you have to keep it light and conversational. If it sounds like a lecture, they'll dive under the furniture or

think of an urgent errand. I think these gifts will be much appreciated -- first the thought, and then the cob itself.

If you're on a real tight budget, a pipe nail for a buck will suffice for a pipe tool for starters.

sfsteves

Lifer
Aug 3, 2013
SF Bay Area
lincolnsbark said:

"I ordered a bag smokeable seconds from Missouri Meerschaum and

will be spreading some briar based cheer this Christmas Season."
I applaud your very generous idea and pass along my sincere best wishes for it to work well ... but, at the risk of being a bit of a wet blanket, in gifting your friends some MMs, you're technically not spreading briar cheer.

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
That is just too cool, I'm beyond words. How come I don't see people like you in "real" life? I couldn't even get a Metro Detroit pipe club together when I tried.

lincolnsbark

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 11, 2013
SteveS you got me. I suppose my only hope is the cobs will stem into more briars. Haha. Thank you all for the support, I will definitely have to package some cleaners and tools as well.

sfsteves

Lifer
Aug 3, 2013
SF Bay Area
Well, I shouldn't be nit-picking you ... that's a terrific thing you're doing ... even if they never transition to briar pipes, if they enjoy the MMs, it's "Mission Accomplished" ...
My pipe smoking son owns a mix of briars and cobs, but he smokes the cobs far more often than the briars ... says he likes them better ... my take is that if works for him, my opinion doesn't matter ... individual taste is one of the most variable differences there is ... one should suit themselves in matters of taste without regard to the opinions of others.

Status
Not open for further replies.