Young pipe smoker, need some suggestions!

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

busyhands94

Might Stick Around
May 29, 2012
I have been a pipe smoker for a good while, about two years. I'm 18 and like it a lot! :) Around my 18th birthday I had a sit down with my parents and kind of "came out of the humidor" so to speak. They are anti-tobacco and ex-smokers and hate the smell of tobacco smoke, but don't have a problem if I smoke a pipe because it's my own choice.
Now they accept that I'm a pipe smoker, however my mom gives me a lot of crap. She's always saying stuff like "You smell like stale smoke" or "You smell like tobacco" and things of that nature. She doesn't understand the concept of a pipe so she automatically calls it, and me stupid. It's getting on my nerves because I've got to hear it everyday. And of course pipe smoking helps me with my anxiety attacks related to her gum chewing, because I have a condition called mesophonia and I can't tolerate chewing and smacking. It makes me physically ill.
What I need is some pipe baccer' that smells good on my cloths and hair, lately I've been smoking Half and Half, Prince Albert, my homegrown tobacco blend of Virginia and Burly, Captain Black white and Royal. I'm wanting something that doesn't smell much like tobacco, but smells good. Maybe like vanilla, or apple spice, or maybe even a nice liqueur smell but without smelling like booze. Something classy smelling. It's got to smell good on my cloths, taste good, and have a fair amount if nicotine. I was thinking some kind of aromatic Cavendish, not sure what to try though.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
Keep your powder dry and your tobacco moist!

~Levi

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
Straight Black Cavendish is smells pretty good and not as funky when it lingers on your clothes, but I don't think any kind of stale smoke smells great. Honestly it sounds like she is being controlling, more than anything. If youlive at home, It's time to move out, if not, just go home every time she starts up.

zanthal

Lifer
Dec 3, 2011
Pleasanton, CA
Well, give up video games, buy a rocking chair ... nevermind scratch that.
In all seriousness, you're in need of an aromatic with a well-approved "room note" as is the wording amongst us tobacco reviewing connoisseur/snobs. That's about the only hope you're going to have of getting the nose of a non-smoker to stop avoiding you.
In my experience, MacBaren Vanilla Cream Flake and C&D Autumn Evening smell the best, and they're a pleasant smoke beyond that too.
But for the aromatics I would smoke to please myself first and other people after, I prefer Lane Limited 1Q, Lane Limited Black Cavendish Aromatic (BCA), Peter Stokkebye Nougat and Frog Morton On the Bayou.
None of them smell like a potpourri dish, but they're considerably easier on the nose than non-aromatic blends, that's for sure.
It doesn't hurt to mention also that Lane Limited blends are pretty inexpensive when bought in bulk, and just about everybody on this forum touts their praises at one time or another.
And most importantly, when it comes to tobacco, do yourself the honor of reading up on all the different strains and blend types out there. It will help you understand and differentiate your tobacco choices in a much more informed way ... if you truly like pipe smoking then it's well worth your time.
Happy Puffing :puffy: -Mike M

cyndi

Lifer
Nov 14, 2009
Flowery Branch, GA
I'd find something really strong and stinky and smoke that for about a week. Pipe tobacco smoke really doesn't linger so she's bitching just to bitch. Give her a good reason to!

markw4mms

Lifer
Jun 16, 2011
Bremen,GA
Lane 1Q is one you should try. 1Q smells good, and tastes good as well. 1Q is available in bulk at just about any tobacco shop that sells bulks, either under that name, or rebranded with a private name the store has given it. Just ask the shop owner which of his blends it is, and most of them will tell you.

photoman13

Lifer
Mar 30, 2012
Your mom just cares about you. It is her job. No matter what anyone tells her tobacco is bad. You just have to be discrete. My mom doesn't care for me to smoke either but I understand as both her parents and step mom died from smoking. I just smoke outside when at their house and try to do it while she isn't paying attention.

busyhands94

Might Stick Around
May 29, 2012
Thanks for all the suggestions guys! Come to think of it, she is being a bit controlling. If she finds so much as one of my pipe filters in my ashtray she throws a tantrum. I'm working on getting a job, saving up to move out. That will take a while but until then I'm going to be as considerate as possible and get a tobacco that smells nice. Due to the fact I smoke cigarettes I can't tell what I smell like, it's all just a blind guess. I'm hoping Captain Black will smell like vanilla and marshmallows, giving it's a Cavendish I wouldn't think it would smell too "tobaccoish" on me.
I think she could just be doing this to hassle me because she hates that I smoke. I'll try taking a shower and changing my cloths, getting some good organic vanilla from Trader Joe's, patting a little on my cheeks, hugging her, and asking how my "new tobacco blend" smells just to see.
Of course I think part of it is that she is the most inconsistent person I've ever met. Not to get too off topic here, but I remember her clearly saying a few years back "Levi, you will never own any kind of firearm bigger than a BB gun under my roof and you will never touch tobacco even at 18, PERIOD!"
Three years later in present day...

http://i1178.photobucket.com/albums/x372/busyhands94/IMAG0041.jpg
So much for sticking with her guns.
I can't wait to move out and be free of this inconsistency.

busyhands94

Might Stick Around
May 29, 2012
Cindi, I don't wear my smoking jacket because it's real hot here in North California. Black leather and a skullcap bandana will get anyone sweating like a hog. Of course I also make my own smokes, she hates the smell of American Spirit Perique blend and I love the stuff. It's good out of a pipe.
~Levi

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
I love that flintlock and I have a NAA Mini Revolver just like yours. I also have a family full of codependents so I recognized your mom's MO. The key is to just try to enforce healthy boundaries as much as you can until you can move. Once you're living on your own you can take a stronger stand and still keep your sanity.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Smoke what pleases you. If that means moving out of your mother's house, then let that be your motivation to get out on your own.

It's your life, and you only get one shot at it. Mom is trying to live for both her and you. Don't let it happen.

busyhands94

Might Stick Around
May 29, 2012
Baron, I built that flintlock rifle from a kit, I also inlayed the patchbox and made the powder horn. My NAA is one of their percussion mini revolvers. I think setting some boundaries would be a good. They treat me like a pipe smoking child and I don't like it one bit. It seems like if she doesn't understand something she automatically dislikes it, sorta like racism.
I'm doing it. I'm setting up boundaries in a respectful but firm manner. I tend to so many responsibilities for them because both my parents work. I do almost all the cooking, cleaning, and make sure my kid brother is okay. I fix anything broken around the house, and I landscape the place as well. I won't tolerate being bitched at after working so hard for them. I'm still going to smoke some good smelling blends, but I'm not going to let her try to control me.
~Levi

martiniman

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 6, 2012
Levi,

As a parent of a soon to be 17 year old, be patient with your parents. Your going to be surprised how much they will learn over the next few years. As hard as is it will be you need to express your feelings without becoming loud and emotional. Point out all of the reasons you deserve respect as you did in this forum.

It sounds like the tobacco smell is just the focus of the day and I think your going to hear it no matter what you smell like. No need to poke the bear, relax and think about how nice and calming the next smoke will be.
I still want to see my son come out of his room and be short and cute, not big and hairy 8O

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
Just be firm but respectful. Lay down what you need from them just like you did with us. Don't let them divert the argument with accusations, ad hominem attacks yelling or other forms of noise. Keep the train rolling until you've laid out your rules, your expectations and potential consequences if your needs are not met. Then remind. Them that you love them both and will always be there for them. Give them a.hug and then go relax, go outside and puff on your favorite blend.

kabong30

Can't Leave
Jun 2, 2012
Just be careful how sharp you are with your folks. It's wonderful that you help around the house, you should, you live there. But just as you are growing into your own man, they are trying to come to grips with you being your own man, and I'm sure that your pipe smoking appears to them as simple rebellion.
I grew up with my dad and there is an axiom that I heard a lot of years ago that still proves true regularly at 35. The older I get, the smarter my dad gets. Parents try to protect their children, it's their job. Cut them a little slack. :)
A really nice smelling tobacco that I just started smoking is Peterson Summertime 2011, but I am also a fan of the 1Q. Enjoy your pipes!
Oh and guns:

IMG_0514.jpg

Plus, my latest addition and EDC.
f69d0962.jpg

busyhands94

Might Stick Around
May 29, 2012
Thank you guys so much for all the great replies and tobacco suggestions, I'm thinking I need to order some more terbaccer' sometime soon! There's just so many great blends out there to try, sampling tobacco is what I do best.
I had no idea how to approach this but the advice I've gotten has really helped a lot. My parents and I have always been close, and they both are ex-smokers and hate all forms of tobacco. I try and respect them by not smoking around them or my kid brother, I also put my pipes and tobacco away when they are home.
I think I'm going to have a sit down talk with my mother, because she's the one who gives me the most grief about this. My father gets what a pipe truly is, he understands why I smoke a pipe and doesn't give me more than a little "you could use a shower" once and a while and it's always polite. We all like different things, I just so happen to like fine tobacco.
Kabong30, those are some nice firearms! I like that shotgun a lot, everyone needs a good pump shotgun. I'm really into blackpowder shooting, I love old technology. I shave with a straight razor, smoke pipes, and keep my Remington New Model Army for home defense along with a few other surprises.
The latest edition to my collection is this, a Remington NMA with beautiful engraving and nickle plating.

IMAG0011-1.jpg

It's so fancy looking I think I need a really pretty brier to go along with it! :)
Keep in puffin! :puffy:

~Levi

zanthal

Lifer
Dec 3, 2011
Pleasanton, CA
busyhands ... what tobacco were you exhaling in that avatar pic?
it doesn't look like you cared for it.
and I'll field the barrage of thought queries sure to follow ... I was smoking Altadis Irish Cream.

busyhands94

Might Stick Around
May 29, 2012
Some Captain Black white pouch. I saw something weird on my corncob pipe, there was a tiny spider on the stem. I don't know if he was hiding inside of the cob and I smoked him out or what!
Altadis Irish Cream sounds good, it seems like they give pipe tobaccos such delicious sounding names. MacBaren Plumcake sounds like a desert in a fancy restaurant. some of the tobaccos with those really delicious sounding names often smell good enough to eat in my experience.
Shoot, I have even managed to cook with tobacco before. So far I have made tobacco ice cream and the best bread pudding ever, with tobacco cream sauce. I used extra butter and some really good vanilla extract a friend made with vanilla beans. what I did was I flavored the bread pudding itself with a little spiced rum and made a tobacco infused cream sauce to go on top. I was using about a gram of Captain Black Royal. I strained all the little bits of tobacco out of the cream before making it into a sauce of course, so no bits to run into.
It was a whole new interesting experience, it was perfect. The flavor of the tobacco added a nice kiss of flavor to the desert that was absolutely fantastic. I know it sounds really weird, but it was interesting and worth repeating.
~Levi

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
You're right, that sounds really weird. :D Good to see the spirit of experimentation alive and well though.

What's next? A Latakia-forward BBQ sauce? :lol:

taerin

Lifer
May 22, 2012
I would highly recomend trying out Boswell's tobacco blends, they are in my opinion the best blender of aromatics you can find. Their Berry Cobbler is simply amazing, it has big flavor even though it is an aromatic, you could smoke it in your room and your parents would comment on how wonderful your new air freshener is. Boswells makes very strong tasting aromatics that actually taste like the description and smell like it too, without tonguebite. Any aro smoker really needs to check them out at least once.

Status
Not open for further replies.