Pipes Magazine » Pipe Tobacco Discussion

Tags:  No tags yet. 

Young pipe smoker, need some suggestions!

(48 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by busyhands94
  • Latest reply from busyhands94
  1. busyhands94

busyhands94

Login to Send PM

I have been a pipe smoker for a good while, about two years. I'm 18 and like it a lot! Around my 18th birthday I had a sit down with my parents and kind of "came out of the humidor" so to speak. They are anti-tobacco and ex-smokers and hate the smell of tobacco smoke, but don't have a problem if I smoke a pipe because it's my own choice.

Now they accept that I'm a pipe smoker, however my mom gives me a lot of crap. She's always saying stuff like "You smell like stale smoke" or "You smell like tobacco" and things of that nature. She doesn't understand the concept of a pipe so she automatically calls it, and me stupid. It's getting on my nerves because I've got to hear it everyday. And of course pipe smoking helps me with my anxiety attacks related to her gum chewing, because I have a condition called mesophonia and I can't tolerate chewing and smacking. It makes me physically ill.

What I need is some pipe baccer' that smells good on my cloths and hair, lately I've been smoking Half and Half, Prince Albert, my homegrown tobacco blend of Virginia and Burly, Captain Black white and Royal. I'm wanting something that doesn't smell much like tobacco, but smells good. Maybe like vanilla, or apple spice, or maybe even a nice liqueur smell but without smelling like booze. Something classy smelling. It's got to smell good on my cloths, taste good, and have a fair amount if nicotine. I was thinking some kind of aromatic Cavendish, not sure what to try though.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Keep your powder dry and your tobacco moist!
    ~Levi

Posted 1 year ago #
  2. baronsamedi

baronsamedi

Black House Whore

Login to Send PM

Straight Black Cavendish is smells pretty good and not as funky when it lingers on your clothes, but I don't think any kind of stale smoke smells great. Honestly it sounds like she is being controlling, more than anything. If youlive at home, It's time to move out, if not, just go home every time she starts up.

Proud Member of the Blackblood Society Photobucket
    Posted 1 year ago #
  3. zanthal

zanthal

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Well, give up video games, buy a rocking chair ... nevermind scratch that.

In all seriousness, you're in need of an aromatic with a well-approved "room note" as is the wording amongst us tobacco reviewing connoisseur/snobs. That's about the only hope you're going to have of getting the nose of a non-smoker to stop avoiding you.

In my experience, MacBaren Vanilla Cream Flake and C&D Autumn Evening smell the best, and they're a pleasant smoke beyond that too.

But for the aromatics I would smoke to please myself first and other people after, I prefer Lane Limited 1Q, Lane Limited Black Cavendish Aromatic (BCA), Peter Stokkebye Nougat and Frog Morton On the Bayou.

None of them smell like a potpourri dish, but they're considerably easier on the nose than non-aromatic blends, that's for sure.

It doesn't hurt to mention also that Lane Limited blends are pretty inexpensive when bought in bulk, and just about everybody on this forum touts their praises at one time or another.

And most importantly, when it comes to tobacco, do yourself the honor of reading up on all the different strains and blend types out there. It will help you understand and differentiate your tobacco choices in a much more informed way ... if you truly like pipe smoking then it's well worth your time.

Happy Puffing -Mike M

Posted 1 year ago #
  4. cyndi

cyndi

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I'd find something really strong and stinky and smoke that for about a week. Pipe tobacco smoke really doesn't linger so she's bitching just to bitch. Give her a good reason to!

Someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back! Wife or no, you are no one's property to be tossed aside. You got the right same as anyone to live and try to kill people.
    Posted 1 year ago #
  5. markw4mms

markw4mms

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Lane 1Q is one you should try. 1Q smells good, and tastes good as well. 1Q is available in bulk at just about any tobacco shop that sells bulks, either under that name, or rebranded with a private name the store has given it. Just ask the shop owner which of his blends it is, and most of them will tell you.

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."
    - Benjamin Franklin
    Posted 1 year ago #
  6. photoman13

photoman13

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Your mom just cares about you. It is her job. No matter what anyone tells her tobacco is bad. You just have to be discrete. My mom doesn't care for me to smoke either but I understand as both her parents and step mom died from smoking. I just smoke outside when at their house and try to do it while she isn't paying attention.

Posted 1 year ago #
  7. busyhands94

busyhands94

Login to Send PM

Thanks for all the suggestions guys! Come to think of it, she is being a bit controlling. If she finds so much as one of my pipe filters in my ashtray she throws a tantrum. I'm working on getting a job, saving up to move out. That will take a while but until then I'm going to be as considerate as possible and get a tobacco that smells nice. Due to the fact I smoke cigarettes I can't tell what I smell like, it's all just a blind guess. I'm hoping Captain Black will smell like vanilla and marshmallows, giving it's a Cavendish I wouldn't think it would smell too "tobaccoish" on me.

I think she could just be doing this to hassle me because she hates that I smoke. I'll try taking a shower and changing my cloths, getting some good organic vanilla from Trader Joe's, patting a little on my cheeks, hugging her, and asking how my "new tobacco blend" smells just to see.

Of course I think part of it is that she is the most inconsistent person I've ever met. Not to get too off topic here, but I remember her clearly saying a few years back "Levi, you will never own any kind of firearm bigger than a BB gun under my roof and you will never touch tobacco even at 18, PERIOD!"

Three years later in present day...
    http://i1178.photobucket.com/albums/x372/busyhands94/IMAG0041.jpg

So much for sticking with her guns.

I can't wait to move out and be free of this inconsistency.

Posted 1 year ago #
  8. busyhands94

busyhands94

Login to Send PM

Cindi, I don't wear my smoking jacket because it's real hot here in North California. Black leather and a skullcap bandana will get anyone sweating like a hog. Of course I also make my own smokes, she hates the smell of American Spirit Perique blend and I love the stuff. It's good out of a pipe.

~Levi

Posted 1 year ago #
  9. baronsamedi

baronsamedi

Black House Whore

Login to Send PM

I love that flintlock and I have a NAA Mini Revolver just like yours. I also have a family full of codependents so I recognized your mom's MO. The key is to just try to enforce healthy boundaries as much as you can until you can move. Once you're living on your own you can take a stronger stand and still keep your sanity.

Posted 1 year ago #
  10. cortezattic

Cortez

A part of the problem since he ...

Login to Send PM

Smoke what pleases you. If that means moving out of your mother's house, then let that be your motivation to get out on your own.
    It's your life, and you only get one shot at it. Mom is trying to live for both her and you. Don't let it happen.

I find myself sitting idly on the line dividing past and future,
    as if I could kill time without injuring eternity. -- Thoreau
    Posted 1 year ago #
  11. busyhands94

busyhands94

Login to Send PM

Baron, I built that flintlock rifle from a kit, I also inlayed the patchbox and made the powder horn. My NAA is one of their percussion mini revolvers. I think setting some boundaries would be a good. They treat me like a pipe smoking child and I don't like it one bit. It seems like if she doesn't understand something she automatically dislikes it, sorta like racism.

I'm doing it. I'm setting up boundaries in a respectful but firm manner. I tend to so many responsibilities for them because both my parents work. I do almost all the cooking, cleaning, and make sure my kid brother is okay. I fix anything broken around the house, and I landscape the place as well. I won't tolerate being bitched at after working so hard for them. I'm still going to smoke some good smelling blends, but I'm not going to let her try to control me.

~Levi

Posted 1 year ago #
  12. martiniman

martiniman

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Levi,
    As a parent of a soon to be 17 year old, be patient with your parents. Your going to be surprised how much they will learn over the next few years. As hard as is it will be you need to express your feelings without becoming loud and emotional. Point out all of the reasons you deserve respect as you did in this forum.
    It sounds like the tobacco smell is just the focus of the day and I think your going to hear it no matter what you smell like. No need to poke the bear, relax and think about how nice and calming the next smoke will be.

I still want to see my son come out of his room and be short and cute, not big and hairy

Posted 1 year ago #
  13. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

My favorite tobacco is Butternut Burley. Check it out with the boys from Albany. Also look to their Trout Stream. Both excellent offerings for you and for the room. Great burn, taste, and aroma.

I second Lane's BCA. That's about as inoffensive as it gets without getting goopy. 1-Q bites me, but not others and is very popular.

You'll find a thousand aromatics out there. Unfortunately, few taste like they smell, fewer burn properly, and many will cake up your pipe.

Posted 1 year ago #
  14. baronsamedi

baronsamedi

Black House Whore

Login to Send PM

Just be firm but respectful. Lay down what you need from them just like you did with us. Don't let them divert the argument with accusations, ad hominem attacks yelling or other forms of noise. Keep the train rolling until you've laid out your rules, your expectations and potential consequences if your needs are not met. Then remind. Them that you love them both and will always be there for them. Give them a.hug and then go relax, go outside and puff on your favorite blend.

Posted 1 year ago #
  15. kabong30

kabong30

Login to Send PM

Just be careful how sharp you are with your folks. It's wonderful that you help around the house, you should, you live there. But just as you are growing into your own man, they are trying to come to grips with you being your own man, and I'm sure that your pipe smoking appears to them as simple rebellion.

I grew up with my dad and there is an axiom that I heard a lot of years ago that still proves true regularly at 35. The older I get, the smarter my dad gets. Parents try to protect their children, it's their job. Cut them a little slack.

A really nice smelling tobacco that I just started smoking is Peterson Summertime 2011, but I am also a fan of the 1Q. Enjoy your pipes!

Oh and guns:

Plus, my latest addition and EDC.

Posted 1 year ago #
  16. busyhands94

busyhands94

Login to Send PM

Thank you guys so much for all the great replies and tobacco suggestions, I'm thinking I need to order some more terbaccer' sometime soon! There's just so many great blends out there to try, sampling tobacco is what I do best.

I had no idea how to approach this but the advice I've gotten has really helped a lot. My parents and I have always been close, and they both are ex-smokers and hate all forms of tobacco. I try and respect them by not smoking around them or my kid brother, I also put my pipes and tobacco away when they are home.

I think I'm going to have a sit down talk with my mother, because she's the one who gives me the most grief about this. My father gets what a pipe truly is, he understands why I smoke a pipe and doesn't give me more than a little "you could use a shower" once and a while and it's always polite. We all like different things, I just so happen to like fine tobacco.

Kabong30, those are some nice firearms! I like that shotgun a lot, everyone needs a good pump shotgun. I'm really into blackpowder shooting, I love old technology. I shave with a straight razor, smoke pipes, and keep my Remington New Model Army for home defense along with a few other surprises.

The latest edition to my collection is this, a Remington NMA with beautiful engraving and nickle plating.

It's so fancy looking I think I need a really pretty brier to go along with it!

Keep in puffin!
    ~Levi

Posted 1 year ago #
  17. zanthal

zanthal

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

busyhands ... what tobacco were you exhaling in that avatar pic?

it doesn't look like you cared for it.

and I'll field the barrage of thought queries sure to follow ... I was smoking Altadis Irish Cream.

Posted 1 year ago #
  18. busyhands94

busyhands94

Login to Send PM

Some Captain Black white pouch. I saw something weird on my corncob pipe, there was a tiny spider on the stem. I don't know if he was hiding inside of the cob and I smoked him out or what!

Altadis Irish Cream sounds good, it seems like they give pipe tobaccos such delicious sounding names. MacBaren Plumcake sounds like a desert in a fancy restaurant. some of the tobaccos with those really delicious sounding names often smell good enough to eat in my experience.

Shoot, I have even managed to cook with tobacco before. So far I have made tobacco ice cream and the best bread pudding ever, with tobacco cream sauce. I used extra butter and some really good vanilla extract a friend made with vanilla beans. what I did was I flavored the bread pudding itself with a little spiced rum and made a tobacco infused cream sauce to go on top. I was using about a gram of Captain Black Royal. I strained all the little bits of tobacco out of the cream before making it into a sauce of course, so no bits to run into.

It was a whole new interesting experience, it was perfect. The flavor of the tobacco added a nice kiss of flavor to the desert that was absolutely fantastic. I know it sounds really weird, but it was interesting and worth repeating.

~Levi

Posted 1 year ago #
  19. cortezattic

Cortez

A part of the problem since he ...

Login to Send PM

You're right, that sounds really weird. Good to see the spirit of experimentation alive and well though.
    What's next? A Latakia-forward BBQ sauce?

Posted 1 year ago #
  20. busyhands94

busyhands94

Login to Send PM

Hmmm... What about perique in BBQ sauce? That spiciness might be good!

Posted 1 year ago #
  21. taerin

Eric

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I would highly recomend trying out Boswell's tobacco blends, they are in my opinion the best blender of aromatics you can find. Their Berry Cobbler is simply amazing, it has big flavor even though it is an aromatic, you could smoke it in your room and your parents would comment on how wonderful your new air freshener is. Boswells makes very strong tasting aromatics that actually taste like the description and smell like it too, without tonguebite. Any aro smoker really needs to check them out at least once.

"The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man who lives fully is prepared to die at any time."
    Mark Twain
    Posted 1 year ago #
  22. waznyf

waznyf

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Snowflake from highlands is something I like quite a bit! Reminds me of cookies. If she complains about a sweet cookie smell than I think you are out of luck brutha!
    Happy puffing!

"The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he who, in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know I am The Lord when I lay my vengeance upon you."
    Posted 1 year ago #
  23. busyhands94

busyhands94

Login to Send PM

I will be sure to check out some of these tobaccos you guys are suggesting, I like trying new stuff! As if I didn't have enough tobacco already! Haha! Shoot, I've got enough to last me years.

Plus I also have some Havana tobacco growing in my garden.

~Levi

Posted 1 year ago #
  24. ocpsdan

ocpsdan

Login to Send PM

My suggestion is to smoke for yourself, and not for others. McClellands Red Cake is a step in the right direction if you're looking to try a non-aro.

Posted 1 year ago #
  25. ohiopuffer

ohiopuffer

Login to Send PM

I have suggested it on here before but Hobbits Weed from Tewksbury& Company imho smells awesome she shouldn't mind it too much.

Posted 1 year ago #
  26. deadwoodpete

deadwoodpete

Login to Send PM

Although I'm a die hard Black Cavendish man myself, I do run through the occasional sample (2oz,or less) of other tobaccos.

P&G's BlackHouse is excellent, as is Cerberus in their Marquee series. Under their regular Hearth and Home tobaccos, 10 to Midnight, Grandma's Kitchen, and House of Lords are good too. (That's actually about all I've had the $$ to sample so far, but they are darn good.)

I stick to my BC... but every once in a while you just want something different.

BTW, Levi. That is one sweet Remington. I am officially jealous.

Posted 1 year ago #
  27. mluyckx

Belgian Mick

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I thought long and hard...so here goes

Dude, for one.. congrats on the pipes, love that Army model revolver you've got there and proud of you for helping around the house.

Now.. from a guy who's raised 5 kids and several foster kids somewhere along the road... it's their house. You live there, and you help, which is great and under appreciated by many parents. On the other hand, you don't like the "bitching" or moaning ? You love pipe smoking, she doesn't. Deal with the moaning. You don't like it. Well, you're 18, make a bag, move out. Their house, their rules. Suck it up.

Sorry to put it so bluntly, but that's the way the cookie crumbles.

And as a side note... if you had that Remington in my house against my will outside of my control, outside of my safe and trigger locks, I would have packed up all your stuff and put it on the sidewalk. Gun included. The only guns in my house are controlled by me. No loose guns in my house. The fact that they let you keep it even though it appears your mom doesn't want you to have anything bigger than a BB gun speaks volumes on the slack they cut you. Especially with something as lethal as a gun. Hope you store it somewhere your kid brother can't get to it

Getting of my soap box and smoking a bowl now If I'm ever over on the West Coast, I'd be happy to smoke one with ya...

Oh yeah and good smelling stuff.. my wife, who hates smoking, likes 1-Q, Great Outdoors, Mark Twain (A&C Peterson), Alexander Bridge (Sutliff) and especially the Peterson Holiday 2011.

"The fact is, squire, the moment a man takes to a pipe, he becomes a philosopher. It's the poor man's friend; it calms the mind, soothes the temper, and makes a man patient under difficulties. It has made more good men, good husbands, kind masters, indulgent fathers, than any other blessed thing on this universal earth."
    -"Sam Slick, the clockmaker" aka T.C.Haliburton
    Posted 1 year ago #
  28. busyhands94

busyhands94

Login to Send PM

Well I'm glad you like my New Model Army. The Remington NMA was produced during the civil war as a "belt pistol" because it could be kept in a flap holster on the belt. It was used by the Army and produced in .44 caliber, where the Navy preferred .36 caliber revolvers like a Colt 1851 Navy or a Remington Navy Beals. The reason the Army preferred .44 was because it could be used for shooting the horse out from under a mounted soldier, the Navy preferred .36 because it used less lead and powder, and they didn't need such a large caliber since there were no cavalry.

My mother was afraid of guns but now she likes shooting with me. It doesn't seem to bug her that my pistol sounds like Dirty Harry's gun, as long as we have hearing protection on it's all good. She does prefer lighter loads, I tend to like hotter ones. She used to have the whole "nothing bigger than a BB gun" policy, but I started becoming interested in gunsmithing and built some muzzleloading firearms. I just started small with a muzzleloading derringer and climbed up to getting a .50 caliber flintlock. She wasn't comfortable with cartridges yet, but when I showed her a Minnie ball for my .50 next to a .22 round she realized that a .22 isn't too big of a cartridge.

I've been collecting ever since. My dad likes shooting with me so much he even got a .22 rifle for himself. Then we went to an auction and bought some more guns. They were so cheap there too! I can't pass up a good .22 rifle for $25 bucks! That's just too good a deal so I got a couple .22 boy's rifles and some shotguns.

I do realize that it is their house and their rules. As I mentioned my father is a little more lenient with my smoking than my mother. He doesn't give me much hassle if I can't sleep and want to go smoke a bowl out back in the moonlight. Heck, he even gave me his old smoking jacket. Of course it smelled like Camels and had some butts in the side pockets, but I like it. I think the reason why he's easier on me is that he gets what a pipe is and what it does for me.

A few months ago I went and got seen by a professional, I have a psychological condition called mesophonia. That literally translates to "hatred of sound" and it's a dreadful condition. My entire family chews and smacks loudly at the dinner table and I'm extremely sensitive to it. They have gotten better but it's still impacting me severely. If someone were to loudly chew some gum next to me for five minutes my shoulders would be strung up and the muscles in my upper back get so tense it feels like a couple musket balls are under my skin. I also get migraines from that and I feel like it's contributing to my insomnia.

Smoking a pipe is my coping mechanism. Nothing relaxes me more than a bowl of good tobacco in the right setting out of my favorite pipe. It's my sedative. A pipe actually really helps me, it's a blessing from God I have such a good way to cope. Of course my mother doesn't get that, she thinks it's just the same as a cigarette. But a pipe gives me absolute peace and tranquility provided I take my time to do it right and in the right setting.

A side not on my Remington, my entire family is trained with firearms. My kid brother is 15 but knows to never touch firearms without the owners permission, he's a very responsible lad. And when I'm out I take my guns off the rack and pop them into my locking gun cabinet. This insures only I have control of them and nobody can walk into the house and have access to a firearm. I do keep a "life preserver" tucked away in case I'm not home and a family member is, in case something goes terribly wrong and a firearm is needed to save the life of my loved ones. They all know said pistol in and out, and know how to shoot it. I think it's a good system.

Take care and keep puffing!
    ~Levi

Posted 1 year ago #
  29. baronsamedi

baronsamedi

Black House Whore

Login to Send PM

I'm not what you call a gunsmith but I have a .50 cal percussion pistol I built from a kit and it shoots great! My first gun was also black powder. A Colt Walker .44. That was a big boomer!

Posted 1 year ago #
  30. photoman13

photoman13

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I wouldn't say that's the way the cookie crumbles. Every family is different with a different dynamic. Times are tough now. The younger generation is having a harder and harder time finding jobs because older folks are filling up entry level positions. One cannot simply move out. I agree though about cutting your parents some slack. You just have to talk. Communication is everything.

Posted 1 year ago #
  31. busyhands94

busyhands94

Login to Send PM

Colt Walkers are definitely fun! The Colt Walker was the most powerful handgun in the world up until the late 30's when the .357 Magnum was invented by Elmer Kieth. That's the same guy who invented the .44 Magnum, .41 Magnum, and a few others. He was also a pipe smoker and has the same birthday as me, March 8th.
    It wouldn't surprise me the slightest to find I was related to him somehow.

This is probably what I'm going to look like when I'm older.

This year I'm thinking about getting a Colt 1860 Army, and a 1858 Remington with a blued steel frame and a gated conversion cylinder in .45 Colt.

Of course all families being different, there's no way to judge how to handle this. I'm thinking I just need to have a good talk with my mother like I did when I came out as a pipe smoker. I'm hoping she'll realize that I'm going to be reasonable.

Personally, I'd love to continue what I had been doing everyday. Have a bunch of different pipe tobaccos and some cigarettes without having to put on my hot smoking jacket. However I'm trying to not make pipe smokers look bad to my mother.

The other evening I was watching some TV with my parents. I left the room to go get something, and I could hear my mother saying that I smell like stale smoke. She said that was what my Pa' smelled like when he was a smoker, and that she was so glad when the smell left. But "the smell is back" she said. It feels disrespectful and like she's being a bully. I don't like that. I don't want to "reek of stale smoke" to them. I'd rather smell like a classy pipe tobacco.

That's the reason why I'm looking for a good blend to smoke. That and I just love aromatics!

Posted 1 year ago #
  32. philip

Philip

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

She said that was what my Pa' smelled like when he was a smoker, and that she was so glad when the smell left. But "the smell is back" she said.

There are people who just do not like the smell of tobacco - any kind. And if the smell is bringing back unpleasant memories for her, it may be just as annoying to her as your misophonia is to you.

I don't know if this is the case or not, but since you are living in her house, it may be something to think about.

There are work-arounds for most of life's problems. I hope it works out for you. Good luck.

Posted 1 year ago #
  33. martiniman

martiniman

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

@ kabong30 please come over my house for the upcoming Zombie Apocalypse.
    I own several guns, most assault style but WOW...

@ busyhands I'm glad to hear everyone in your house has gun knowledge. The only danger is ignorance. You sound well grounded and are willing to take all into consideration. The start to everything is talking, now and in a future endevores.

I got a PAD today and it was all aromatics. I haven't opened anything but Altadis rum and maple. I will light is shortly but the aroma is like candy.

Posted 1 year ago #
  34. busyhands94

busyhands94

Login to Send PM

Good news, I just talked to my mother.

So it wasn't what I though, it isn't she hates the smell of smoke but it's that the smell of tobacco smoke isn't good to her because she's an ex-smoker and worked hard to quit. I thought she just was giving me crap for being a smoker.

I told her of my intentions of getting some good smelling tobby, and asked her what she thinks about vanilla or cherry. She said that any kind of tobacco smell isn't good, but I explained to her that Cavendish has less of a tobacco smell and is a lot of the time flavored. She said it was my choice of what I want to smoke, as long as it's not marijuana she's fine with it. But I told her that I wanted to make sure she wasn't tempted to start smoking cigarettes again by my smoking and that I already love aromatic and flavored tobaccos like crazy.

So I'm thinking I need a nice aromatic that smells like vanilla, or chocolate, or maybe even a fine liqueur. With all these great suggestions you guys have given me it shouldn't be that hard to find one that I love to smoke and that doesn't bother her. I'm not trying to kiss ass here, I just want to make sure she isn't tempted by my smoking.

~Levi

Posted 1 year ago #
  35. vegasblue

vegasblue

Login to Send PM

@busy-hello there guy. I found out that the condition of you smelling like stale smoke can be remedied by lighting up a fresh one!!

Posted 1 year ago #
  36. busyhands94

busyhands94

Login to Send PM

I think I'll give up cigarettes, that's a good start. I know American Spirit Perique blend is freakin' tasty and I'm a "nicotine devotee" but I think I can do it. I was thinking about getting an electric cigarette for times only a cigarette will fix me up, but other than that I'm thinking about being strictly a pipe smoker.

If I give up cigarettes, my sense of taste and smell will become much sharper. I could enjoy the flavor of the tobacco much more. After all, that's what I really enjoy about a pipe. The flavor and the aroma. I want to be able to pick out the little nuisances better than I already do.

That and being a ten unfiltered RYO cigarette a day smoker during springtime with my bad allergies is dreadful. Every year for about two months it feels like I've got emphysema. I need to stop inhaling my tobacco, that and I've smoked for too damn long.

I'm thinking I could give up cigarettes and use a pipe to help me. I'd get to enjoy my sweet, sweet, precious nicotine but I'd be doing it in a way that is less harmful to my body.

~Levi

Posted 1 year ago #
  37. photoman13

photoman13

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have seen candles at a b&m that are suppose to help with the smell. Maybe you should check into something like that.

Posted 1 year ago #
  38. busyhands94

busyhands94

Login to Send PM

That could work, my aunt frequents a smoke shop a few towns over that has said candles. I wonder if I burn one in my room if it will help with the smell of my pipes, I notice it does smell a little "tobaccoish" in there.

Posted 1 year ago #
  39. photoman13

photoman13

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

It's worth a try.

Posted 1 year ago #
  40. mluyckx

Belgian Mick

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

@busy: As I mentioned.. my wife hates smoking. Always has, always will. Rule #1 I set for myself when we got married: I won't give it up, but I won't do in the house. And as you can probably tell, we've been happily married for quite some time now. And I still don't smoke in the house. Patio or Garage. Heater for the winter. Fan and misters on the patio for our long hot summers.

If you smoke in your room, perhaps worth considering to stop doing that and go outside. May cut down on the hassle

Posted 1 year ago #
  41. maduroman

maduroman

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

maybe you can get your mother to smoke a pipe with you...

Posted 1 year ago #
  42. undecagon

undecagon

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

maybe you can get your mother to smoke a pipe with you...

My rents used to guve me the "you smell" bit from time to time, but after college now that I've lived w/ them again for a year they don't give me crap anymore. My mom has even given the pipe defense for me when others are around and are shocked/disgusted when they discover I smoke without any further info. Last Christmas I passed out pipes and the whole fam light up in the garage!

"I said NO camels, that's FIVE camels...can't you count?!"
    Posted 1 year ago #
  43. martiniman

martiniman

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Busy..
    Glad you spoke with your mom and shed some light on the real issue. My only experience with candle is now the room smells like stale smoke and candles. They only add smell, not remove.

Posted 1 year ago #
  44. busyhands94

busyhands94

Login to Send PM

I don't smoke in my room, I also keep my smoking jacket outside for when I do use it in the shed. It's just a body smell.

My parents are both ex-smokers, I don't want to smell "tempting" to them. The worst that can happen is they could start smoking again, I don't want that for them. They both worked very hard to quit.

Luckily, my mother caught a whiff of the pouch of Captain Black in my pocket. She said that she smelled vanilla. That's definitely pleasant!

~Levi

Posted 1 year ago #
  45. martiniman

martiniman

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Unfortunately the pouch smell doesn't always equal the morning after aroma. But it sounds like your headed in the right direction. Most non-pipe people enjoy the roomnote of cherry, very distinctive and pipelike. Sounds like your going to be trying a bunch of aros, not a bad spot to be

Posted 1 year ago #
  46. hiplainsdrifter

hiplainsdrifter

Login to Send PM

Parents tend to know more than you think they do, and they are often right, as annoying as that can be.

Posted 1 year ago #
  47. judcole

Jud

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

My suggestion is to smoke for yourself, and not for others.

Amen.

Thought in the early morning, solace in time of woes,
    Peace in the hush of the twilight, balm ere my eyelids close
    Rudyard Kipling
    Posted 1 year ago #
  48. busyhands94

busyhands94

Login to Send PM

Yesterday I smoked about six bowls of Captain Black Royal. I'm starting to replace my cigarettes with pipes, so I try and stick with one blend of baccer so it's not a bunch of smells mixed together, just one.

So last night I when I said good night to my mother she said I smelled like pulled pork. I don't know if that's a good thing or not but the smell is non-offensive to her and I like that blend of tobacco a lot.

I think sampling some more fine tobaccos, seeing which ones I like and my mother likes would be a good idea. I mean I'd love to smoke whatever I like but I do have to be considerate and not soil the image of pipe smokers. Heck, if anybody wants to mail me a sample of some good smelling baccy' I'd be really pleased!

So far I've stopped smoking cigarettes without my smoking jacket and hat, that seems to be helping. Of course I'm going to give up the nails and stick with a pipe, I'd rather be strictly a piper instead of a cigarette smoker as well.

~Levi

Posted 1 year ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   natibo, captainsousie, bphilli75, cobguy, twoonefive, msandoval858, ragnar, pruss, masspiper, fearsclave, northernneil, saint007, eightywon, judd, wilson, kendodan