PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

beefeater33

Lifer
Apr 14, 2014
Central Ohio
Just pondering a bit. You Tube. All the songs I could ever wish for at my fingertips. I remember back in the day waiting for a WEEK until I could get to my buddies house to hear a certain album. The excitement would be almost overwhelming..... take the album out and spin it.... kick back for a good listen.

Now anything and everything at my fingertips for FREE!! Kids these days don't know how good they got it. I'm spoiled too. Lost is the anticipation, the rarity, the hunt if you will.

I'm not complaining, just an observation.

Like Dylan said- "the times they are a changin".....

We have it so good......... :puffy:

Jan 8, 2013
Yeah, no kidding. Remember when you sat by the radio for what seemed like hours just to hear that one new song by your favorite band? Shoot, in my day, we thought we had it good because we could throw a cassette in the stereo and record that song off the radio so we could listen to it over and over. Now with the scroll of a mouse pad and the push of a button and typing in a word or two, you can find almost anything on Youtube.

Mar 1, 2014
The last time I went out of my way to listen to music was about eight years ago now. I bought a set of classical music CD's and I listened to them a couple of times, I even have them loaded on my hard drive, and used them for an alarm clock, but I haven't touched any of it in a long, long time. Why would I want all that noise interfering with perfectly good thoughts?

Music with vocals is almost universally irritating because pretty much everyone making music these days has terrible English.

beefeater33

Lifer
Apr 14, 2014
Central Ohio
The last time I went out of my way to listen to music was about eight years ago now. I bought a set of classical music CD's and I listened to them a couple of times, I even have them loaded on my hard drive, and used them for an alarm clock, but I haven't touched any of it in a long, long time. Why would I want all that noise interfering with perfectly good thoughts?

Music with vocals is almost universally irritating because pretty much everyone making music these days has terrible English.
Frozen-

There is everything from Bach to birdsongs on you tube.... if you want it, it is there... not a fan boy, just amazed at the stuff that is available for free, used to have to work to get it...... :puffy:

beefeater33

Lifer
Apr 14, 2014
Central Ohio
Example-

I remember when this was hard to find..... now, just go to you tube and BAM its there....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YJYWErLOBCU

styler

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 31, 2014
I'm torn, I use it all the time but ultimately I hate it.
I think that music is too available these days and it has devalued immensely to the point where a lot of people just aren't used to paying for it anymore. I miss the restriction of listening only to the albums I could afford to buy, having to pore over reviews and make my selections carefully.
I can think of several albums I bought as a teenager that didn't grab me at all on first listen but, because I'd paid out for it, I stuck with it and ended up loving it. There's so much music available on Youtube now that, if something doesn't grab you on your first listen, you move onto the next thing.
On one hand it has saved me money as I can preview album tracks and only buy things I'm fairly sure I like but it has definitely taken a lot of the fun out of exploring music for me.

derfargin

Lifer
Mar 3, 2014
Kennesaw, GA
I think that music is too available these days and it has devalued immensely to the point where a lot of people just aren't used to paying for it anymore. I miss the restriction of listening only to the albums I could afford to buy, having to pore over reviews and make my selections carefully.
It just goes to show you can please some of the people, some of the time.
How can you complain about music being "too available"?
I'm a big fan of YouTube, mostly because it's a medium that anyone can use to communicate to the masses.
I may be biased since I'm in the networking industry and making data accessible is what I do.

styler

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 31, 2014
It just goes to show you can please some of the people, some of the time.
How can you complain about music being "too available"?
I'm a big fan of YouTube, mostly because it's a medium that anyone can use to communicate to the masses.
I may be biased since I'm in the networking industry and making data accessible is what I do.
I presume from the first line that you think my opinion is misguided?
Maybe 'too avaliable' was a poor choice of words and I should have clarified that I was primarily speaking about copyrighted music and video. People communicating via videos they've made is obviously not a problem.
The problem arises when people can sit and listen to album after album for days without paying a penny for it, and more importantly, without the creators receiving a penny for it. Do you think that music should be free?
FYI, I'm a DBA who works primarily in BI, making data accessible is what I do as well (to those who have permission).

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
but I haven't touched any of it in a long, long time. Why would I want all that noise interfering with perfectly good thoughts?

think that music is too available these days and it has devalued immensely to the point where a lot of people just aren't used to paying for it anymore. I miss the restriction of listening only to the albums I could afford to buy, having to pore over reviews and make my selections carefully.
Holy hell! Forget going gracefully, you guys have jumped headlong in to old fart mode. Don't forget your complimentary pouch of Cap'n Black. Fist waving practice begins at 6am, gets those tendons warmed up!

styler

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 31, 2014
Holy hell! Forget going gracefully, you guys have jumped headlong in to old fart mode.
Standing up for the right to get paid for your work/art? Yes, I can absolutely see how that is an outdated notion. How silly of me! I've somehow managed to become an old fart at 34, my wife will be disappointed.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
@styler
I think that music is too available these days and it has devalued immensely to the point where a lot of people just aren't used to paying for it anymore.
I have seen the effects of this on the music industry. Artists are not making money, and fans are not discerning, so quality has fallen across the board.
That and the fact that rock was out of ideas until rap saved the industry (kind of like the SUV for the auto industry) and now we're in the post-rap "recombinant" phase.
@frozenchurchwarden
I bought a set of classical music CD's
What was odd for me about classical at first was how important choice of conductor is. Some can interpret the composers of the past; others turn it into schmaltz (Bernstein), chaos (the current guy at our local symphony) or pure bombast. All of those destroy its inner balance and organization and you end up with noise.
For low-cost classical, I'd go with the Naxos label, because they hire college/Eastern European orchestras to emulate famous conductors near-exactly, resulting in quality interpretations played by proficient but perhaps not interpretive-quality teams.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
@billkay
Those are fantastic. Having seen a few ...errr.... "dramatic" conductors, I can understand.
@lordofthepiperings
Love me some YouTube.
Me too, but its weakness is the frequent disappearance of videos as accounts are deleted and spurious DMCAs fly across the internet.

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
Standing up for the right to get paid for your work/art? Yes, I can absolutely see how that is an outdated notion. How silly of me! I've somehow managed to become an old fart at 34, my wife will be disappointed.
Lol. I think you misinterpreted my comment which was about your notion that widespread availability of music was bad. Which is utter nonsense. For clarity:

You can restrict yourself however you choose if that's what it takes for you to appreciate music, well, aside from monetarily. This is an issue (for you) of self discipline, for everyone else, easy access to music that they may never had access to otherwise is a gift.
Think of it this way, you may not have appreciated your very first math text book because you didn't pay for it (public school) but you rely on and value those skills everyday.
By the way, this thread got weird fast. Bill, you feeling' alright?

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
What do you call 100 conductors at the bottom of the ocean ?

A good start.
Say...weren't these lawyer jokes?
Theft of IP is pandemic in today's world. A side effect of 1's & 0's is that duplication of material is now easy and the Web provides the means of easy distribution. YouTube isn't the cause, though a lot of stolen IP turns up on it, along with other sites. We used to joke at Warners that it you wanted to see the next episode of a new series on TV before its air date, just go on YouTube. That situation has improved since post houses have tightened up security and a few employees got sacked or prosecuted and convicted. Too many people simply lack any sense of boundaries, ethics, or morals.
What I like about YouTube is that it's like a huge attic. There's all sorts of stuff there.

beefeater33

Lifer
Apr 14, 2014
Central Ohio
I get your point here and I agree somewhat...... My point in the original post was that "WOW" factor......

EVERYTHING is available with the click of a mouse. There is no wanting and waiting for an album anymore, no time period of looking through garage sales or flea markets for that obscure 45 record. The thrill of the hunt is gone, but the spoils are available immediately-- it's good and bad at the same time if that makes any sense.

I'm not complaining at all.......

What I like about YouTube is that it's like a huge attic. There's all sorts of stuff there.
Sable, as usual, says in a few words what I try to convey with multiple paragraphs..... :clap:

Bill, you feeling' alright?
:rofl:

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
Check an Album out before you buy it. YouTube has its uses. I discovered Porcupine Tree on YouTube. Cool ass band.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
I hear this quite a bit from the underground death metal fans.
The problem seems to be partially resolving itself. People are tiring of massive collections that they do not listen to much at all.
I think it'll take another decade at least however.

Status
Not open for further replies.