Tags:  No tags yet. 

you tube rocks

(14 posts)
  1. seanz

seanz

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Making a Rope of Baccy
    I just found this while looking at how to make rope tobacco.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Sqhu11WjC4&feature=youtu.be

Edit: I hope you don't mind that I have worked on your post.
    I found this fascinating. So now we know where the term Perique come from.
    I couldn't get the link to work, so I just posted it with a simpler method.
    and edited the comments... Lawrence

New Zealand
    Peter Piper.
    Give me the weed, the fragrant weed, My wearied brain to calm; In a wreath of smoke, while I crack my joke, I'll find a healing balm.
    Posted 7 years ago #
  2. hobie1dog

hobie1dog

Penzaholic

Login to Send PM

It is a fun site for sure...I love to watch concert clips and race kart video's

" I'm talking about the kind of sound you can feel. When it comes to great stereo you can't beat big speakers, I'm talking about big speakers with big woofers."
    Posted 7 years ago #
  3. unclearthur

unclearthur

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

That's a good one.

If at first you don't succeed you are running about average.
    Posted 7 years ago #
  4. ace57

ace57

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I liked that, never seen that done befor, thanks.

U.S.M.C. (SEMPER FI)
    Posted 7 years ago #
  5. kcvet67

kcvet67

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Great video. Making Perique is a different process though:
    http://pipesmagazine.com/blog/put-that-in-your-pipe/the-mystique-of-perique/

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    -- Thomas Jefferson
    Posted 7 years ago #
  6. pstlpkr

Lawrence

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Kc, while the Perique we all know and love comes from Louisiana, and that process is an adaptation from those native to that region.
    The video is a demonstration purported to be the process used by sailors to produce the rolls we all know that sailors used to use... They say the word Perique is what they say the sailors used to call the end product, being what we might call Navy Rolls or Ropes. e.g. Escudo Navy De Luxe (granted this comes in coins cut from a roll, and probably much better tasting.)
    The roll/rope/compression/process demonstrated in the video could very well be where those in Louisiana got the name... referring to the fermentation of tobacco under high pressure for an extended period of time.

Just thinking out loud... as it were.

"Ending a sentence with a preposition is something up with which I will not put." Winston Churchill
    View Lawrence  Whitcomb's profile on LinkedIn
    Posted 7 years ago #
  7. kcvet67

kcvet67

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Lawrence, I have no doubt that the video shows a very accurate recreation of how sailors made their rolls, it fits everything that I've ever heard or read.

I've never seen an explanation of the name "Perique" that was very convincing. The most commonly cited explanation is that it's a Cajun variation of the word "prick" which always struck me as a little bogus. From the spelling of the word, it's obviously French in origin which would fit with the Acadian influence in the St. James area.

One of the singular features of the process of making Perique is that the pressure ISN'T constant. Several times a year the pressure is removed, the leaves are reversed in order and pressure is again applied. The mixture is actively fermented, while the fermentation of rolls, cobs and plugs is more passive. The process is similar to that in wine making and may be why Perique has such unique characteristics.

Posted 7 years ago #
  8. unclearthur

unclearthur

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Someplace I have directions for doing what those old boys are doing. Hope to try it next fall if I can get some ground turned for my baccy patch.

Posted 7 years ago #
  9. pstlpkr

Lawrence

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I've never seen an explanation of the name "Perique" that was very convincing.

Me either.... That's why I was so careful in my wording above...

OEUD!... OEUD!!!! My Kingdom for an Oxford English Unabridged Dictionary!
    I may have to drive down to the Library at the University of Montevallo and look it up... In the OEUD.
    An amazing wall of books.

Posted 7 years ago #
  10. seanz

seanz

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

[Someplace I have directions for doing what those old boys are doing. Hope to try it next fall if I can get some ground turned for my baccy patch. ]
    my thought exactly unclearthur, and got the designs on paper for a mini press for some cavandish

Posted 7 years ago #
  11. unclearthur

unclearthur

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

A hydraulic jack and some 4x4inch timbers for my press!

Posted 7 years ago #
  12. seanz

seanz

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

i was thinking along the lines of the wool press style, hydraulic into a lined box. I was looking at those photos of them doing the perique and thought i could go there. i know it wont be the same as theres in regards to leaf and soil but still willing to give it a whirl.

Posted 7 years ago #
  13. unclearthur

unclearthur

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Never hurts to try. Some of the guys over on the how to grow tobacco forum have played with perique style curing.

Posted 7 years ago #
  14. seanz

seanz

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

i have read some of that. its another good site like this good people good info

Posted 7 years ago #

You must log in to post.

banner

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   pylorns, mikethompson, mso489, alaskanpiper, elpfeife, dcon, litup, brooklynpiper, cigrmaster