PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
I've been reading a history of tobacco and came across this report regarding an auction in June 1843 for the pipes, cigars, and tobaccos of the recently deceased Duke of Sussex.
The auction lasted three days. When it was all said and done, the auctioneers had moved:
220 pipes (none of which were briars, as this was before the invention of the briar pipe)

480 pounds of pipe tobacco (and all of this was various straight leaf; there were no "mixtures" or "blends" at this point in history)

More than 50,000 cigars
The one detail missing from the report was the age of the Duke when he died. But I'm guessing no matter how old he was, there was no way he would have ever smoked his way though that cellar during his lifetime. (In cigars alone, it is recorded that there were enough for the Duke to have smoked 15 a day for 10 years.)

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
I should have mentioned too that most of his pipes were meerschaum (not clay or some non-briar wood). The author of the history I'm reading had a close friend who inherited one of the Duke's auctioned meerschaum's from his great-grandfather. It had a bowl that measured over 5" deep!
Could he possibly have done anything but smoke all day?
Not that there's anything wrong with that. ;)

gray4lines

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 6, 2012
KY
I should have mentioned too that most of his pipes were meerschaum (not clay or some non-briar wood). The author of the history I'm reading had a close friend who inherited one of the Duke's auctioned meerschaum's from his great-grandfather. It had a bowl that measured over 5" deep!
I wonder how many of those pipes are still around. What a rarity and great item to have.

flyguy

Lifer
Nov 20, 2012
220 pipes (none of which were briars, as this was before the invention of the briar pipe)

480 pounds of pipe tobacco (and all of this was various straight leaf; there were no "mixtures" or "blends" at this point in history)

More than 50,000 cigars
:worship: I am not worthy...I am not worthy...

May 31, 2012
That's certainly a deep cellar!
It's known that he smoked k'nick-k'neck, I wonder if he smoked perique too?
"The one detail missing from the report was the age of the Duke when he died."

He was 70

http://www.royalcollection.org.uk/collection/421451/augustus-duke-of-sussex-1773-1843
There was a catalog of that auction printed called "Catalogue of the Unrivalled Collection of Pipes ... Tobacco; and ... Cigars, and ... Cheroots ... the Property of ... the Duke of Sussex"
There's a great blog that covers the historical stuff out there and does a top-shelf job of it, well worth browsing thru if you have some time:

http://tobaccopipeartistory.blogspot.com/p/welcome.html

Dec 24, 2012
Is the Duke of Sussex Cigrmaster's real name? Oh, wait, I see now you said deceased. Did Cgrmaster win the auction?

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
I wonder if he smoked perique too?
It seems the answer is yes. Perique was called a number of different things at the time -- none of them "perique" -- but the author of the book identifies one of the varietals as likely being perique.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
He is my new hero, now that is what I call a stash. I am a pimple on a fly's ass in comparison to that guy. The most I ever had at one time was approximately 3000 cigars, 50 or so pipes and maybe 25 pounds of tobacco back when I was smoking both cigars and pipes. I wonder how he kept all those cigars humidified, he must have had a huge walk in humidor.
Got the Unforgiven reference also, good one.

Status
Not open for further replies.