PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

fiawol

Lurker
Aug 16, 2013
I am new to this hobby. I have only been enjoying my pipe for about a month now and I definitely cannot brag about my bargain "Italy" pipe the man behind the counter offered me from a basket filled with other questionable pipes. I didn't mind because I was watching something special online. I bought a little cheapo tamper and scraper that looks like a nail, a bundle of cleaners, and a pouch of captain black gold. Once I was able to pack a descent bowl(a few days later) I was hooked. I continued to look forward to the pipe I was now bidding on. It was actually the seed that led me into this world. I am not quite sure about the details of how it happened but I know it started on Wikipedia, and it doesn't matter where you start on Wikipedia you always end up in a very strange place. I ended up learning about tobacco pipes, more specifically about a peculiar brand made out of composites from the 70's. That let me to an enthusiasts website all about "the pipe". I spent hours reading the history, and stories, looking at all the different shapes, and in the end I decided that I would own one. Good news is that they were mass produced and almost always on eBay. And that it's where I found one. A simple black bulldog, some chattering but really in fine shape. It was my first time ever bidding on eBay and using some advice I gleaned from the website I placed a generous bid confident that it wouldn't be outdone and then i quickly began to convince myself it was as good as mine. I began to look forward to its first cleaning, what special tobacco I would reserve for its very first light and I even decided to grow a beard to go with the new pipe(I don't really know why the last one but hey, why not). I'm sure you've guessed by now that I didn't win. I know there will be plenty more opportunities and I will be smarter about them, but this was my first let down and I just know that tomorrow's morning smoke is going to be a little less sweet.

kyriefurro

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 14, 2013
Been there, done that :D
So far I've purchased four smokable pipes on E-bay, and one meer that's gong to have to be sent out for repairs before I can use it. And to be honest, it's been nothing less than a gamble. For every pipe auction I've won, I probably had ten to twelve that I lost on. So be patient, and keep trying. You'll get your pipe eventually.

irishjedi

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 31, 2013
LOL, right here with ya hoss. Welcome to the boards from a fellow noob. You're in good hands here.
Mike

tamer291

Can't Leave
Jun 26, 2013
Yup, been there plenty of times. The great thing about this hobby is there are plenty of pipes and tobacco out there. Just look forward to the next one...with or without the beard. :puffy:

erichbaumer

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 4, 2012
Illinois
Welcome! Others here have more experience and better advice than I regarding the hobby, but as far as beards go: they're awesome, yes they're good luck, read the art of manliness articles on the subject, and most importantly, grow one for at least three weeks before quitting, trimming or shaping to see what you have to work with. And be careful whose opinions you value and listen to.

Most of all, welcome again and good luck with piping! A very worthwhile and rewarding hobby/lifestyle to say the least!

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
Welcome aboard from another newbie. You'll find in this community the most knowledgeable, pleasant fellows anywhere on the web, more than anxious to share their considerable expertise. Glad you've joined us!

fiawol

Lurker
Aug 16, 2013
Thank you all for the encouragement! I was wrong about this morning's smoke, it was better! Maybe I just needed to stop thinking poorly about my simple pipe. I will find a "the pipe" someday that suits me just fine. And then a brair, and a mer, and then... omg is this how PAD starts???

fiawol

Lurker
Aug 16, 2013
Oh and I'm keeping the beard. I'm getting a jump on winter. Last year I remember putting fuel in my rig when it was 20 below. I really could have used the face fur then.

jah76

Lifer
Jun 27, 2012
Welcome!
Kyriefurro is right. For every good buy I make on Ebay I lose about 10-15. I just try to look at them not so much as something I've lost, but instead an example of staying within my personal boundaries.
Ebay pipes are always a gamble even if you scour the pictures and know exactly what your buying. If I have any doubts at all, I contact the seller with specific questions and make sure they have a return policy in case it doesn't work out.
Marty Pulver's has some fantastic deals in his online shop that go from 30-50 bucks. I've gotten some great pipes from him at low low prices. (Briar Blues & MKELAW Pipes also have some beauties) Also there are a number of sponsors on the left that sell some very nice estate pipes as well as new pipes. Sometimes I just like to window shop.

bentmike

Lifer
Jan 25, 2012
Welcome fiawol! Don't forget about corncobs. My local Drug Mart has a nice selection of Missouri Meerschaum cobs. Cheap and they offer a great smoke. Better than you'd expect.

irwinmetro

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 31, 2013
Grow the beard anyway.
Sage advice right here.
I'll typically set a max bid, confident that no one would possibly pay more than this for this ugly little pipe, only to be outbid. But then I'll up my max bid, purely out of competition. :crazy:
Like Roth says, "Patience touches everything we do." I've been trying to repeat that to myself like a mantra.

kyriefurro

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 14, 2013
I just try to look at them not so much as something I've lost, but instead an example of staying within my personal boundaries.
This is huge. It's so easy to get caught up in the excitement of bidding, or worse, to start feeling frustrated at how many beautiful pipes have gotten away from you. Before you know it, you'll be throwing money at the computer screen because, "by God, I'm going to get this pipe or else!" I know there were a couple of auctions where I got carried away and ended up placing bids that were two to three times what I'd budgeted for a new pipe. Fortunately, I lost those auctions too, and came to my senses before I spent the rent money :roll:

plateauguy

Lifer
Mar 19, 2013
Welcome, and join the club. We've all been outbid on a pipe that we were sure was ours. There will be plenty of others, but you might try Smokingpipes.com estate pipes. They are on sale now, and some are very reasonable.

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Welcome ! Mr. Taylors website is quite impressive isn't it? If you don't come across a "The Pipe" you might contact him. Seems he has a few for sale.

roadqueen

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 9, 2013
First, welcome!
I'm pretty sure that just about everyone here, including myself, has suffered the bitterness and heartbreak of Ebay defeat. :crying:
That being said,

Don't forget about corncobs. My local Drug Mart has a nice selection of Missouri Meerschaum cobs. Cheap and they offer a great smoke. Better than you'd expect.
+100 to bentmike, this is very good advise. I have briars as well as cobs, and the cobs deliver a perfect smoke, every time. No break in period, and they are a very inexpensive way to build a rotation to be able to rest your briar pipe. I cannot recommend the Missouri Meerschaum pipes highly enough.
Happy Piping! :puffy:

Status
Not open for further replies.