You Know What They Say About Idle Hands...

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
If I don't have a nice pipe to restore, this is the type of trouble I get into. I took a bowl I bought for junk/parts because it looked to have a crack. It didn't just an odd line in the sandblast that I then made look like a crack. Then took a stem I don't know where it came from, and decided to put them together to make an ugly pipe as a tribute to Olie Sylvester. I also decided to waste the time of anyone reading this and looking at said pipe. My apologies, I'll try to have a nice pipe the next time.
img_0909-600x347.jpg

img_09181-600x365.jpg

img_0921-600x348.jpg

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Pit some tiny screws on either side of the shank where it meets the bowl, and it will truly be Frankenbriar! :clap:

Sjmiller CPG

(sjmiller)
May 8, 2015
Morgan County, Tennessee
I have two of Olie's pipes. One is one of his Zombie line and the other is one he made for me named Son of Sam. My point for saying that is I like the pipe, Orley. I think you nailed it on the first try. With the blast looking like something you would see on a Dunhill paired with an odd stem it looks like something Olie would do. Chasingembers almost nailed it but instead of Frankenbriar, I think Frankenhill would be more fitting. That is indeed a fine looking pipe.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
The "cracked" bowl is an interesting optical trick, and it is a cosmic coincidence that the shank and stem match in size with precision. I think it's kind of a scary congruence, and therefore sort of uncanny that this is a rather handsome pipe with tricks up its sleeve. You can't buy this one; it has to happen to you.

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
mso: the mortise and tenon didn't match up all that great, but as my daddy always said, "anything will work if you force it"! I also recently discovered that this was a fine briar made by Hilson. I don't know why I didn't look that up to begin with. I mean really, who would name a pipe after a California grocery chain?
img_0914-600x344.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.