Pipes Magazine » Pipe Talk

Tags:  No tags yet. 

You Know What They Say About Idle Hands...

(7 posts)
  1. agnosticpipe

Orley

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

If I don't have a nice pipe to restore, this is the type of trouble I get into. I took a bowl I bought for junk/parts because it looked to have a crack. It didn't just an odd line in the sandblast that I then made look like a crack. Then took a stem I don't know where it came from, and decided to put them together to make an ugly pipe as a tribute to Olie Sylvester. I also decided to waste the time of anyone reading this and looking at said pipe. My apologies, I'll try to have a nice pipe the next time.

The pipe smoker formerly know as agnostic pipe
    "Fried food, hard liquor, and tobacco, that's the holy trinity!"- Stacy Keach
    Posted 1 year ago #
  2. fishnbanjo

fishnbanjo

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

You sure your middle name isn't Insanius and you secretly work for Ardor?
    banjo

Posted 1 year ago #
  3. chasingembers

Embers

Captain Of The Black Frigate

Login to Send PM

Pit some tiny screws on either side of the shank where it meets the bowl, and it will truly be Frankenbriar!

Damnation seize my soul if I give you quarters, or take any from you.
    -Edward Teach
    Posted 1 year ago #
  4. sjmiller

sjmiller

Login to Send PM

I have two of Olie's pipes. One is one of his Zombie line and the other is one he made for me named Son of Sam. My point for saying that is I like the pipe, Orley. I think you nailed it on the first try. With the blast looking like something you would see on a Dunhill paired with an odd stem it looks like something Olie would do. Chasingembers almost nailed it but instead of Frankenbriar, I think Frankenhill would be more fitting. That is indeed a fine looking pipe.

Abbot of the Apostles of St. Bruno
    Posted 1 year ago #
  5. papipeguy

papipeguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I think Frank Purdue said, "Parts is parts." Seems to work in this case.

Blowin' smoke since 1970.
    Posted 1 year ago #
  6. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The "cracked" bowl is an interesting optical trick, and it is a cosmic coincidence that the shank and stem match in size with precision. I think it's kind of a scary congruence, and therefore sort of uncanny that this is a rather handsome pipe with tricks up its sleeve. You can't buy this one; it has to happen to you.

Posted 1 year ago #
  7. agnosticpipe

Orley

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

mso: the mortise and tenon didn't match up all that great, but as my daddy always said, "anything will work if you force it"! I also recently discovered that this was a fine briar made by Hilson. I don't know why I didn't look that up to begin with. I mean really, who would name a pipe after a California grocery chain?

Posted 1 year ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   aldecaker, emile7, lukester, tbradsim1, acidpox, sholto, morgansteele, marc75, olkofri, jiminks