You Have Got To Be Kidding Me

(24 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by cigrmaster
  • Latest reply from mikethompson
  1. cigrmaster

cigrmaster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I was just perusing ebay when I stumbled on this pipe.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/CHARMING-WORK-OF-ART-SMOOTH-ANGEL-SMOKING-PIPE-KIT-BY-AMERICAN-MASTER-BENDER/272972585883?hash=item3f8e6f1b9b:g:lEQAAOSwWntXM7Vl

Who would buy something like that? I read the blurb on the maker and it is a hell of a story. If you look at what else this seller has listed, there are many more of these crazy looking pipes. I have never seen anyone on any of the pipe sites I have been on over the years buy anything like this. Does anyone know of someone who buys stuff like this?

Harris
    Posted 1 year ago #
  2. johnbarleycorn

johnbarleycorn

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

That is quite ridiculous.

And little Sir John and the nut brown bowl proved the strongest man at last
    Posted 1 year ago #
  3. chasingembers

Embers

Captain Of The Black Frigate

Login to Send PM

If it sells there has to be a market.

Damnation seize my soul if I give you quarters, or take any from you.
    -Edward Teach
    Posted 1 year ago #
  4. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Since the stratospheric price seems to relate in some way to the wood carving, I would evaluate the price on the basis of that, which to my eye is creative but mediocre. As a pipe to smoke, this looks entirely bothersome. This seems targeted to a buyer with more money than sense or taste. But perhaps there is some aspect I am missing?

Posted 1 year ago #
  5. virginialover

virginialover

Login to Send PM

I like the fact that there's a rebate and the shipping is free, no such luck for a Dunhill estate birthday pipe! But who would buy such a pipe and for this price?

Posted 1 year ago #
  6. prndl

prndl

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I dunno.

That seller obviously totes a large sack or, at least, a wicked sense of humor.

Home is the sailor, home from sea,
    And the hunter home from the hill.
    Posted 1 year ago #
  7. chasingembers

Embers

Login to Send PM

That seller obviously totes a large sack

Found it!

Sorry Harris, had to.

Posted 1 year ago #
  8. dottiewarden

dottiewarden

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Ahhhh, the Prairie Oyster shape!

Dot
    Posted 1 year ago #
  9. chasingembers

Embers

Login to Send PM

I haven't got to pick at Harris for a while. The mischief took over.

Posted 1 year ago #
  10. menuhin

menuhin

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I definitely want to and should respect the carver, but this piece of "charming work of art" also has the ability to immediately induce contraction of abdominal muscles responsible for me to laugh out real loud.

My first impression of this piece (at the very first glance before making clear of its declared title) is:
    this is a Halloween theme pipe.
    A witch with a witch-style hat, holding a big pumpkin, carved out, or a pumpkin box, all dressed in orange color, asking "Trick or treat?" And somehow is that a wing-costume behind it? Oops... is this kid / teenage statue naked??
    And that must be from someone who takes Halloween real seriously - at $3000+ asking price.

After reading the title of this pipe, I kind of think I am all mistaken - I have to convince myself about how I should interpret this piece of art.

Posted 1 year ago #
  11. sablebrush52

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings

Login to Send PM

That's a butt ugly pipe. Sometimes a lot of work results in an ugly baby. The carving is not without skill, but it's not of a very high level. As for the other pipes on display, there's nothing there that would tempt me, especially at the prices quoted for unknown carvers. Call them "master" or "genius" all you want. None of that busy work translates into a better smoke.

If my focus was collecting tiny sculptures made as working smoking pipes, I might have a different view. But the market for such items would be a huge question mark for me. As investments they would be pretty useless. As sculptures they're not all that interesting. Still, you never know. Someone is probably buying this stuff. It just won't be me.

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt. - Mark Twain

It is pointless to argue with a fanatic since a dim bulb can't be converted into a searchlight. - Jesse Silver
    Posted 1 year ago #
  12. daveinlax

daveinlax

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Your irritation at the price is a guerrilla marketing technique to drive clicks for a pot pipe that can probably bought with a very low offer.

Posted 1 year ago #
  13. chasingembers

Embers

Login to Send PM

I threw a $1 offer at it. Awaiting reply......

Posted 1 year ago #
  14. saltedplug

saltedplug

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Maybe if you are a bum and you have something to sell of dubious quality you list it on eBay along with other such items and ask a very high price to so as to convince the buyer of its value? No more erotic than the nudes on meers, but I have to think that that is part of the pitch.

Posted 1 year ago #
  15. menuhin

menuhin

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

With all the CNC and 3D printing technologies, the craftsmanship of yesteryears, especially those that involve pipes are something no more to be seen.

Here's an example of archangel:

Here's an example of a pipe at the end of 19th century, made by master crafter from Austria, commissioned to depict the royal wedding of Queen Elizabeth's daughter princess Louise:

Such a historical piece, sold at an auction house in London, at a price reachable by those who can buy a few thousand-dollars pipes - $50,000.

If someone gifts me such a pipe, I will respond with anxiety and phobia: I definitely will be so curious to smoke it, and I am sure I will be so nervous to drop it with 99% chance during the process.

Posted 1 year ago #
  16. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Looks like something you might find in a Guatemalan outdoor market next to a tourist trap.

OTOH, it reminds me of the SNL skit, "C*** in a Box"!

I know that you believe you understood what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
    Posted 1 year ago #
  17. saltedplug

saltedplug

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I just noticed the wings! The woman's got everything.

Posted 1 year ago #
  18. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Yeh, the acrylic stem was the deal killer for me.

Michael
    Posted 1 year ago #
  19. anthonyrosenthal74

anthonyrosenthal74

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Um.... no.

Arrrrr, shiver me timbers! International Talk Like a Pirate Day is September the 19th!!!
    Brothers Of The Black Frigate
    Posted 1 year ago #
  20. brian64

brian64

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

@Menuhin: That royal wedding pipe is incredible!

“Bipartisan usually means some larger-than-usual deception is being carried out.” – George Carlin
    Posted 1 year ago #
  21. menuhin

menuhin

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

@brian64

FYI, I dag that up from Ben Rapoport's blog "The Tobacco Pipe Artistory"
    Ben Rapoport's bio on his Blog

Posted 1 year ago #
  22. brian64

brian64

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Thanks Menuhin...a lot of very impressive meer carvings there. The Custer's last stand pipe alone was worth the look.

Posted 1 year ago #
  23. brightleaf

brightleaf

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I was thinking along similar lines to jpmcwjr. I didn't see anything unusual about the pipe, thinking it looked like many pipes sold by street vendors to young teens.
    ...then I saw the price and this thread made more sense.

POSSIBLY, contentment is not only the chief element of life, but also one of the very foundations of society. If this be so, then as Tobacco is the enemy of malice, friend of virtue, and a direct cause for content, its use should be encouraged. -J.W. Cundall 1901
    Posted 1 year ago #
  24. mikethompson

mikethompson

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Menuhin, that carving is simply incredible! Thanks for posting that! (Of course its Austrian too 8))

as for the issue at hand, if the seller can get that, good for them. Something is worth as much as someone will pay for it.

Posted 1 year ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   jpmcwjr, loadclear, monkeylyf, tnfan, chasingembers, ben88, craig61a, loneredtree, alaskanpiper, josephcross, danimalia, thefishguy, ashdigger, lochinvar