PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
The Peterson 107 seems to be hard to find these days; not impossible, but a little sparce. So when I encountered this Rosslare Classic, for some reason wanting a pipe with an amber stem paired up with what I believe is the finest billiard model ever made, what could I do? I held off a week before PAD made me open the wallet. But I defy you to find this sweetheart anywhere in the civilized world at this time. It's mine, all mine! :twisted:

002-029-21560.jpg

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
sparrow, very pretty pipe. You should call sp and ask them to go over the pipe with a fine tooth comb so you don't get any surprises when it is shipped to you. I hope you enjoy it for many years to come.

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
Old and wise friend, I did just that before completeing order. Supposedly Rosslare is their higher grade of briar?

pipesinperu

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 21, 2014
Very nice. I've really gotten to like the looks of the Rosslares, although I haven't bitten at that price on a factory pipe. One day I'll get a Pete, though, their shaping is just too iconic not to.
The Savinelli Oscar Lucites are sort of similar, and are one of the Sav lines that don't take filters, so I did pick up a 3/4 bent billiard in that line, which is a pretty decent pipe.

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
I'm glad to see agreement on the pipe: I'd have rather waited to get another pipe, but this combination might have meant a long wait, i.e., the amber stem, the higher grain (I don't know how much higher), and the model shape itself, my favorite billiard shape, might have been impossible to get in this combination without waiting months or longer. Thanks, guys.

FYI: wrote Peterson and asked why the 107 seems to be scarce these days, and they informed me that it was a materials supply issue. I don't know if the letter referred to the Rosslare line.

Jan 8, 2013
It truly is a beautiful pipe. And I think you know me well enough to know I don't care for straight pipes. But I've been looking at the 105 and 107 quite a bit recently. I think if I'd seen this one before you did, I might have actually bought it. Beautiful pipe. Great choice. Enjoy the heck out of it!
P.S. just before I logged on I found a Peterson on Smokingpipes that I just know you would be interested in so I've already sent you a Private Message to give you the heads up. I hope you are able to snag it before someone else does.

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
Thanks, Anthony! And to think I was going to risk waiting on this pipe: another one sold last week, and I decided I better not take the chance and eat paper or cardboard for a couple of weeks to afford this pipe. Thanks also for the tip; I'm going to look into that now. (This site's server doesn't like AT&T, so PMs don't go directly to me, but to archives.)
Oh, no! You had to do that to me, didn't you, Anthony? A....well, you know what kind of pipe is there. Are you being generous or just evil? :twisted: Now I've got to knock off some old ladies to afford this pipe...

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
Con't

Anthony, if anyone finds out about me buying this pipe, my ghost will come to visit you nightly, because by then I will be dead, D-E-D!

For anyone wondering, Anthony turned me on to an estate Peterson Halloween straight apple pipe, with what appears to be a dark walnut stain and vulcanite stem. He knows my taste for the macabre too well. Very reasonably priced. Not that that matters. I'm still a dead man.

Jan 8, 2013
I saw it, Fred, and knew I had to tell you. We both know those pipes don't turn up very often. I figured it would go great with the bent you got some time ago. Glad you were able to snag it.

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
Well, it just means another pipe has to go...I looked for my St. Patrick bent pipe and didn't even see it on eBay, and I don't smoke it often (I've got other nice bents, like the Halloween one!), so that might appear on eBay soon, and for a good price! It might even take off some of the sting on the Rosslare. But seriously, Anthony, thanks for a great tip. Heck, I've needed a straight apple anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.