PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
One of the greatest baseball ambassadors ever has died. Number 8 for many World Champion Yankee teams, Yogi Berra, died yesterday.

I can remember watching him swing away at pitches any coach would bench most players for attempting to hit.

He was a wonderful role model and a terrific competitor. RIP Yogi.

johnnyreb

Lifer
Aug 21, 2014
So sad to hear. Some of my favorite Yogi-ism's are:
"Never answer an anonymous letter"
"It's déjà vu all over again"

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
I grew up near Yogi's home so I went to his bowling alley when he owned it with Phil Rizzuto. Years later I belonged to the racquetball club he owned. I played on Sunday mornings and would spend time talking with him afterward. Yogi was the real deal and as nice a man as you'd want to meet.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Great player and ambassador for baseball. The "short circuits" in his humorous statements were a natural comic genius, possibly inadvertent but a treasure to us all.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Yogi Berra was more than just a Hall of Fame baseball player. He was a cultural icon for seven decades with his "Yogi-isms", and his name inspired one of the great cartoon characters of the 20th century, Yogi Bear. He played in and won more World Series games and titles than any other man. People forget this, but he served in World War Two, winning two Battle Stars, a Purple Heart, and other decorations. He was a living symbol of the best of our unique American characteristics.
He used to say "It ain't over until it's over," a rallying cry that crystallized the concept of never giving up, never quitting in dire situations, always realizing there's a chance to succeed in whatever you want to do. The power of positive thinking. Well, it may be over for Lawrence Peter Berra's physical being, but his wisdom, often couched in the exquisite humor we loved him for, ain't over until we are over. RIP Yogi.

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
Yogi was one of the most beloved players of all time. His combination of humility, humor, talent and performance are rarely seen. He was one of the two or three best catchers of all time. RIP.

Status
Not open for further replies.