Pipes Magazine » General Discussion

Tags:   

Yikes! St James

(6 posts)
  1. sholto

sholto

Login to Send PM

I hope not but that looks like 18 to 20 inches.

Posted 1 week ago #
  2. mikethompson

mikethompson

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Yikes indeed! (That's half a meter almost)

a good til I heard once was that if you are in an area threatened by flooding, put all your important documents in your dishwasher and close the door. They are designed to be watertight, so even if your place floods, the documents will be dry.

Posted 1 week ago #
  3. aquadoc

aquadoc

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Do not store your valuables or anything you would like to have intact in a dishwasher thinking that dishwashers are watertight. I have lived in a coastal community most of my life. And I know people who did this. To no avail. It will most definitely fill with water and possibly mud. Google search will reveal horror stories of valuables ruined by thinking this would be safe.

"If you resolve to give up smoking, drinking and sex, you don't actually live longer; it just seems that way."
    Posted 1 week ago #
  4. elessar

elessar

Login to Send PM

aquadoc has it. Please do not put important things in your dishwasher for any purpose other than a good cleaning. They are not water tight in the sense of being completely waterproof. They just keep the water spraying around inside from getting out. If you drilled a hole in the top of a dishwasher and filled it with water, the water would run out.

Posted 1 week ago #
  5. mikethompson

mikethompson

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Well I stand corrected then. Made sense to me when I read it, but have *thankfully* never needed to try it out.

Posted 1 week ago #
  6. ashdigger

ashdigger

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Another drawback to placing items in a dishwasher is the fire hazard. I've worked several fires where people turned the water off to the dishwasher thinking it would be a "safe", but the didn't unplug it. The cycle gets accidentally initialed and everything in the dishwasher becomes fuel for a fire when the heating element melts the soft inner plastic of the tub.

Ubi Ignis Est?
    Posted 1 week ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   marc75, ashdigger, alsatmem, alaskanpiper, nhhiggy, ben88, snagstangl, 64alex, danimalia, upnorth1, cshubhra