PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
Hi gang,
As some of you know, I commissioned a Sea Star Bulldog from Yves at Ygrek Pipes (on Facebook search for 'Ygrek Pipes') after Kashmir posted the pics of his Sea Star. After chatting with Kashmir and Yves and learning about Yves' approach to pipe making I knew I was going to get a nice pipe. We agreed on a 1/8 bent Sea Star at a group 4 or group 5 sized bowl. Here are some pictures of the pipe in progress. If all goes well it will be shipped before the weekend!
F3695B4B-BEEB-4314-8548-B62E2CA603A0_zpsh3wazlqu.jpg

2C56131C-CB27-4079-BC3A-18155B07654F_zpsonqcbeez.jpg

B54DC750-2072-4513-BE33-910AE96FFBFD_zpst89axr1g.jpg

-- Pat

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
Thanks gents. I think Yves really knocked the rustication pattern out of the park on this one. It will be interesting to see how staining impacts the look and feel.
-- Pat

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
Wow!

His Sea Star pipes are amazing! I'd like to own one of those myself one of these days!

If you don't mind me asking, what do his prices run?
Congrats on the pipe by the way!

layinpipe

Lifer
Feb 28, 2014
Beautiful shape, pruss. I love the rustication on the stem and as pipeguy said, the transition is effortless and flows very naturally. Very cool and creative.

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
Here it is post stain.
Thanks for the comments guys. I can't speak highly enough of Yves. He is very accessible via Facebook messenger, he kept me engaged through the carving process and is just a solid dude. I am not sure what his pricing is now, as I think he took a small increase in the last few weeks, but I think if you were looking for a $300 - $400 commission you and Yves would have something to talk about.
I'm looking forward to examining the mechanics; but am not worried, given how highly Kashmir spoke of the engineering on his pipe by Yves.

allan

Lifer
Dec 5, 2012
Bronx, NY
Pat
That is one amazing piece of workmanship

I've never seen a design quite like that before He really captured the feel of a starfish and blasting the stem in transition is amazing!
How is the stem work? Is the button well done?
Not my style but really terrific work as far as the design goes

Good luck with it

layinpipe

Lifer
Feb 28, 2014
Holy polar bears, that is one of the coolest and most unique looking pipes i have seen in a good while! I don't know why, but that pipe just speaks to me, if that makes any sense. The detailed work on the outside of the bowl as well as rusticating the stem to match the stain on the pipe, just awesome. And i also love the color black and it looks great on this pipe. Congrats pruss, enjoy the heck out of it bc i sure would!!! Happy puffing!

layinpipe

Lifer
Feb 28, 2014
Could you post a pic of the stem separated from the pipe once you receive it? I am curious to see where the rustication stops on the stem and begins on the bowl, bc you can't tell when it is together on the finished pics. Once again, awesome pipe!

dread

Lifer
Jun 19, 2013
Wow, what a stunningly beautiful pipe. Add to that it looks like a practical smoking pipe as well and it is simply an amazing piece.

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
Hey gang, thanks for all the kind words, I'll pass 'em all along to Yves.
I'll do some detail photos once it arrives, for sure. Right now the anticipated delivery is April 29, which means if all goes well then I'll have it with me in Chicago. This would mean, Allan, that you'd get the chance to check look, feel, fit and finish in person.
Cheers fellas.
-- Pat

redbeard

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 2, 2013
Oh my goodness... I hate you :rofl:
That is such a Gorgeous pipe man!!!! Makes me wonder if me smoking cheap estates and beaters (besides this meer I am loving ATM) is just my mind trying to keep me from eating nothing but half packets of ramen noodles from the rest of my life HAHAHHAAHA

eaglerico

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
Wow. That is beautiful. You can't even tell where the stummel ends and the stem begins. That is a work of art.

Status
Not open for further replies.