PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

tarak

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
South Dakota
Okay, so I fully realize I'm starting the umteenth thread on this. I've had several bowls of FMC now- the only "Frog" I've tried- and I've shared it with several friends.
My opinion:

1. I see what all the hype is about.

2. I don't see what all the hype is about.
On one hand, I thought this was a pleasant, smooth, enjoyable smoke. On the other- it kind of doesn't go anywhere. Its not a wonderful smelling aromatic, its not a rich latakia blend- its just....there.
So you could say "Its got a little bit of everything", or you could say "It doesn't have enough of anything".
I like it well enough, I'll probably smoke it here and there- heck maybe a tin will always be around. But I probably won't cellar a ton and I probably won't rush out to try all the other Frogs.
I DO however think its a great place to send people who are aro smokers that are looking to try other things- if someone WANTS to get into latakia- might be a good place to start.

werdna

Can't Leave
Jun 6, 2013
I probably won't cellar a ton
+1 on this. The bloom is off the rose for me with FM orig. I like it alot, but I agree, it kind of leave you waiting for something to happen. I too will keep a tin in the cupboard, but not jars full.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
I think it's an amazing achievement -- a bourbon-flavored aromatic without alcohol, tons of humectant or a chemical aftertaste. On the other hand, I don't love the component tobaccos, particularly the large portion of black cavendish/toasted VA. If this blend were made with standard VAs, Latakia and maybe a pinch of the Frog Morton cavendish, I'd like this a lot more.
In fact, I added some rubbed out Christmas Cheer and Carolina ribbon (a blending tobacco) to my tin of Frog Cellar and I like it much better that way.

yazamitaz

Lifer
Mar 1, 2013
Yes, that's right, DON'T buy FMC, DON'T buy FMC. You don't like this blend, look into my eyes, you DO NOT like this blend. Nothing to see here, move along :nana:
I enjoy this blend for what it is and that is the beauty of pipe smoking. There are SO MANY different blends to appeal to SO MANY different taste buds.

tarak

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
South Dakota
I should add that I fully understand that the intention of these blends was to "straddle the road". And, that being acknowledged- I think McClelland did a fine job. I thought I would love it.
What I found, for me, is that I want to smoke something that is decidedly in one direction. I guess nuance isn't for me.
So, +1 to McClelland for achieving their aim very well, and I'm glad so many of you enjoy it. If I was doing a real review, I'd rate it quite high for being an excellent blend for its intention. Just not my cup of frog.

sallow

Lifer
Jun 30, 2013
I had a bowl of cellar this afternoon. It smells great in the tin and at first light, but there is not enough strength there for me. That is the problem for me with the rest of the frogs as well.

wnghanglow

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 25, 2012
I liked the stuff but kinda bored by the end of the bowl. I'm still learning how to burn the blend though. So far it's great in a small bowl, or mixed with some Virginia's. Best so far has been MClelland 2015 and a pinch or two of FMC :)

05venturer

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
Amery,WI
I am a big fan of FMC, it did for me exactly what they intended. I was wanting more flavor than I was getting in aro's or burleys and this did it. I find it a much more pleasurable smoke if I limit myself to a bowl or three a week in my rotation. Tried it as an all day smoke and it seemed to lose some of its "flair". Great tobacco that every pipe smoker needs to give a try IMHO.

phil22

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 19, 2013
I like FMC a lot but it is not in my top 20 by any means. I do think it is a good intro to latakia blends.

Status
Not open for further replies.