Yesterday I Took Part in a Slow Smoke Contest and Now I'm Confused.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

kaboom

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 12, 2012
OK so yesterday I took part in my pipeclub's annual slow smoke competition being a total noob (I can hardly keep my pipe lit when smoking normally) and surprisingly, I didn't do half bad. I placed 12 out of 19 with a 40 minute time.
Now what I find confusing is this. We were given 3 grams of baccy and a pipe. It is my understanding that 3g generally last people right around those 40 minutes, yet I had to keep puffing and tamping fairly constantly to keep the thing lit, definitely much more often that the 2 or 3 seconds every ten to twenty seconds I've read about, almost continually really. When it went out I had smoked it almost to the bottom with a single light and prelight, a first for me.

Now people who are significantly more experienced and skilled than me (let's just say actually skilled and experienced) lasted a little less and most of them died out right around the 50 minute mark. I got a little bit of tonguenburn from smoking at that speed.

Should I take this as an indication that I'm smoking too quickly even if the tobacco is taking as long as it should to burn? Why do I have to keep puffing and tamping then?
This is the pipe we were given, a Stefano santabroglio, commissioned specifically for this event. It's a little heavy but I love the looks!
sw8wlc.jpg

24ypky9.jpg

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Doesn't sound as though you did too bad. I'm guessing that you loaded a bit too loosely which caused a faster burn.
If you are going to compete you need to practice, practice, practice. Feel the burn! Not in the tobacco though.
I competed a couple of times and decided that it wasn't worth. The guys that were consistently at the top . . . made it an obsession. Wasn't my cup of tea.

pipestud

Lifer
Dec 6, 2012
Robinson, TX.
Howdy Kaboom,
There are truly (no joke), serious competitors at the world championships who have made an art of slow smoking and the winning time for smoking their three grams of tobacco is well over 3 hours!
As you continue to smoke you'll find that the amount of time your pipe stays lit will vary considerably. I remember not long ago lighting up a pipe when a football game started. As I enjoyed the game and the smoke I did not realize until the pipe went out that I had been smoking a little over an hour. At my own club's slow-smoking contests I'm always a middle of the packer and can do no better than 30-45 minutes. So, the next time our club holds its annual slow-smoke contest I'm going to light up and pretend I'm watching a football game. (-:
Never worry about tamping and re-lighting. It is, in fact, just part of the ritual and the fun of being a pipe smoker.
Pipestud

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
It's a way to bring pipe smokers together, and people universally love competition, although a competitive

attitude somewhat defeats the ruminative meditative aspect of pipe smoking, like competitive yoga. My

only interest in such a contest would be to get one of those pipes. Did you actually get to keep it for being

in the contest? I'd feign interest. I'd take an acting class (to act appropriately interested). Then I'd go home

and meditate with that pipe.

12pups

Lifer
Feb 9, 2014
Minnesota
+1 @ mso ... that's a nice pipe. I'd take first out and not be ashamed at all, to have that good-looking thing. Good job!

andystewart

Lifer
Jan 21, 2014
Welcome to the forums kaboom! For most of us slow-smoking competitions are about taking part and having a bit of fun. I can't sit still for 30 minutes unless I'm focussed on something or someone so will never win, but I like the camaraderie and faux-seriousness of a smoking competition. You got a great pipe and a chat with friends, so well done!
Andy

kaboom

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 12, 2012
Thanks for the replies everyone!
Yeah the whole point of taking part was spending a nice evening with the friends from my local pipeclub. We also had dinner and a few drinks and it was great!
Rather that specifically about slow-smoking technique, my question is about smoking technique in general.
As I understand it, a normal, non-competitive smoker just smoking normally gets around 45 minutes out of a normal pipe, which should be right around 3g of tobacco. That is supposedly smoking it nice and relaxed, without having to puff and tamp continously to keep it lit.

Now if i got those 40 minutes (judging by the amount of dottle left after it went out, it would have burned for 45-50 minutes) It leads me to believe I wasn't smoking all that fast, but i know i was because i couldn't relax for a single second, had to keep puffing and tamping to keep it lit and i burned my tongue some. The SECOND I relaxed a bit the smoke waned and the pipe was out half a minute later.
Am I smoking too fast, or too slow? Is the pipe packed too tightly or too loosely?
If it was packed too loose, that would explain the short 40 minutes, but then the tobacco should burn almost freely and i wouldn't have had to keep puffin'n'tamping would I?
On the other hand, if the tobacco was too tight, that would explain why it was hard to keep lit and i had to keep going at it hard, but then the baccy should have burnt for longer wouldn't it?
I'm not trying to improve my competitive smoking technique here, just my technique in general since I'm a newbie and I still have real trouble keeping the pipe lit.
Oh well the event was really fun, even though I agree that competition goes against the very nature of pipe smoking, its just a nice excuse to get together with a few like-minded friends and spend a whole evening sharing a hobby. And I got a cool pipe out of it! Two actually, since there were enough prizes for all of the participants to get a pipe+tobacco tin price! I earned me a cool, small Amorelli Fertility and a tin of Dark Birdseye from Gawith&Hoggarth!

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
They used to do that in the UK. According to my late Father 'Slow Smoking Contests' were very popular during the war as a way of getting the most out of your tobacco rations. My Fathers friend used to collect up Colts Foot that grew in the fields and dry that and mix it in with his pipe tobacco to stretch out a rather skinny tobacco ration!

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
I doubt that any of the members here get, the perfect load, perfect light, etc. every time they smoke a bowl. I think that the competition caused you to focus more on the pipe mechanics and less on the enjoyment. When I smoke, unless I am trying a new blend, the pipe is secondary to the work I am doing or the entertainment (book, music, and what have you)I am enjoying. The actual act of smoking augments my work or relaxation and is nearly a subconscious act on my part. My concentration is mostly on the task at hand and less on the pipe.
I suggest that you concentrate less on the mechanics and what everyone else does or experiences. Simply enjoy the pipe. It sounds as though you have the basics down, now just lean back and enjoy the pipe for what it is. I think that you are getting too wrapped in expectations relative to what others are experiencing. The pipe is perfect for "living in the moment." I enjoy competition. I was extremely competitive in younger years but, this is my opinion only, I think a serious pipe smoking competition is the antithesis of what one should ordinarily be seeking when smoking a pipe.

lestrout

Lifer
Jan 28, 2010
Chester County, PA
I have a lot of fun with SloSmoke events. It is amazing how many different techniques other pipers use. Getting a pipe, almost for free, is a major incentive for me. The key is CONCENTRATION! An analogy might be comparing a nice walk in the woods or promenading (lunting), which would be your normal mentality with an everyday puff, with a marathon, where you are also using your legs but which I wouldn't do for enjoyment.
Preparation of the 3g is also key - you want to spread the tobacco on the paper sheet and dry it out as much as you can. If you want to ascend to the next level, there is the technique of 'chasing the ember'. This involves lighting just one side of the bowl, as opposed to getting the usual full cherry. Then use your regulation tamper to twist the partial ember around the bowl so that you are providing fresh fuel, all the while keeping things at a smolder. One of the American stars (European and Japanese pros use this approach to get 1-3 hour times) is famous for either exceeding 1 hour or flaming out in 10 minutes via this chasing technique.
hp

les

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'm just compulsive enough, I'm afraid if I got into competition, it would permeate my smoking habits. It means a lot

to me to just kick back; that's sort of the purpose of a smoke. But if you can maintain the boundaries, it seems like

real fun. And a free pipe, well, hard to resist.

I don't get the differences mentioned. I was preparing for a slow smoking contest that Vorhees kicked my butt in last Spring, and it only improve my enjoyment of the hobby. Focusing on smoking as slow as possible can only give you an improvement in every aspect of pipe smoking. Plus, the more you get used to it, the easier it is to just meld with that pipe as an extension of yourself and just be. You may have to think about it in the beginning, as you would have to think about shifting gears in a manual transmission, but after a while, you'll be driving without even thinking about changing gears.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Most of the time, I'm relighting constantly. But, on occasion, I'll surprise myself. On a recent two hour drive in heavy traffic, I smoked a bowl of Stonehaven for over an hour with minor tamping (while driving) and no relights. Beats me how it happened, but I did dry out the Stonehaven and pack fairly tight.

brudnod

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 26, 2013
Great Falls, VA
I went to a contract bridge group a month ago having not played for a while. The mistress of ceremony rushed us through the hands and kept on us to keep moving that there was no time for socializing, which was how I learned to play bridge in the first place. That reminded me of the one time I participated in the slow smoke competition. Less about speed (that would be counterproductive) and more about concentrating so hard on the mechanics of pipe smoking. I am 100% sure I do not have the best mechanics but each time I light up an old briar, I am transported to another place of peace and complete relaxation. That part may have been learned along the way over the years but that is what pipe smoking is for me. I wish all of you competitors the very best!

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
I suppose I can understand some of the confusion. I smoke the pipe as an adjunct to what I am doing. The pipe does not smoke me under any other circumstances but when trying a new blend. Some contemplate the pipe, I prefer to contemplate my book or the chore I'm doing while I enjoy the smoke.
It's simply different strokes for different folks. Some thoroughly enjoy the competition of a slow smoking competition. Golf? Yes! And I work hard at trying to stave off what old age is doing to my distance off the tee. Old age is also slowing my reflexes, so I'm not the "goolie" I was once on the ice. But, I'm not a collector or a competitor with regards to pipes. If I compete I get way too serious for my own good. I try to be a graceful loser, but it eats me up on the inside, makes me miserable.
What I want from a pipe may be different from what some others seek. I want my pipe to sit quietly in my mouth or fist, demanding nothing other than a slow draw now and then, and the occasional relight or tamping. Other than that, I make few demands on the pipe other than a nice draw and a bit of flavor. In return, I clean them, shine 'em up now and then, provide a roof over their heads and the occasional gentle stroke of the fingers. My meers are treated a bit more respectfully than the cobs and briars, but all have a good home and all are appreciated to some degree or another for what they are and do. It's a simple relationship which requires little effort on my part and none on the part of the pipe.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
Kaboom, from what you describe, it sounds like your pipe was packed too loosely. You shouldn't have that much trouble keeping it lit.

Status
Not open for further replies.