PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

macaroon

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 2, 2015
Michigan
I am yet another beginner, in the most extreme sense of the word. My first bowl was merely an hour ago. I must admit that I have been snooping about this forum for quite some time, and after finally taking the plunge I couldn't help but go ahead and make my presence known. After all, the information and conversation here is primarily what has encouraged my longstanding curiosity towards pipe smoking. So I offer some belated thanks for the wealth of information!
Now, about the actual experience.
I bought myself a Missouri Meerschaum Missouri Pride, a pipe nail, some pipe cleaners, and a single ounce of one of the local B&M's three available aromatic tobacco blends. If I recall correctly, the description mentioned wine-cured tobacco (whatever that is), cavendish, and burleys and virginias. The scent in the jar and pouch reminds me vaguely of earth and raisins. Honestly I wasn't thrilled by it, but it's growing on me.
This evening I found a bench on campus to sit at, loaded up the pipe by swirling a small bunch of tobacco into the bowl with my palm and attempted to light it with a bic. Michigan autumns tend to be quite blustery, and I had a difficult time keeping the bowl lit for more than a couple minutes at a time even though the moisture content of the tobacco seems perfect to my untrained fingers. Somewhat springy, but not sticky or at all crumbly. We'll see how long that will last in it's plastic bag. Anyway, there was no bite, and the smoke was cool. The taste... essentially smoke. Occasionally some of the rainsiny-ness came through, when I slowed down a bit, but I was unable to pick up much of any flavor in general. I have never smoked anything before tonight, so I am sure my palate will develop over time. I can still smell the aroma on my clothes to a small degree, and have a vague ashy taste lingering in my mouth, even after chewing some mint gum.
Overall, the experience was not unpleasant, but not exactly a delight either. My more general curiosity is sated, but I continue to wonder if there is much more to it than this. I won't be smoking more than maybe twice a week on weekends, if that, but I may still break down and order a few more ounces of different blends online to experiment. Before deciding to visit the B&M, I had McClelland's VBC, PS English Luxury, LL Hazelnut, and C&D Autumn Evening in an online shopping cart along with a pipe and supplies. Alas, impatience got the better of me.
So there we have it. I hope to try again this weekend if the weather is more agreeable, but we will have to see.

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
I am only about 10 bowls into my pipe smoking career, and I can say that it will get better. I am getting better at keeping the pipe lit the more I smoke. I am enjoying the flavor more, the less I stress about "getting it right."
One trick I have found that is indespensable is that if the pipe seems to be going out, cover the bowl with your index and middle fingers (with just a smidge of gap for a small amount of air) and take a couple of deep puffs. I have found that almost always gets the cherry big and red and going good again.
If you're buying bulks, in my experience the price difference isn't so much higher than the online retailers. I.e. blends that go for $2.75 for 1 ounce and P&C go for $4.00 for an ounce at my local B&M. If you have a good B&M, it's great to support it. Plus, you will find the employees (hopefully, anyway) and customers to be a great source of tips and information. Be wary if customers who speak in absolutes. Take everything with a grain of salt, but ask questions. When I first started getting into cigars (and now recently with pipes), I found myself gravitating towards the older gentlemen. I know I am speaking in generalities, but I have found that older smokers are less prone to following fads, have more experience, know how to get the most bang for their buck, and are usually very happy to pass along their knowledge to younger people taking up the hobby. This isn't meant to be a knock on younger people. Hell, I am only 33, and work at a community college. I love younger people. I have just found the old timers to be an excellent resource when it comes to tobacco.

macaroon

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 2, 2015
Michigan
Improvement over only 10 bowls! That is encouraging indeed. I did experiment with covering the bowl, but when that wind got going there really was no stopping it. I just resigned myself to some more relights, which doesn't bother me much. I knew going into this that it would take practice.
The B&M is nice, and I received decent service, but it is also quite small. Their limited selection may prove to include some gems, but I don't think they will be enough to sate my desire to explore what's available. Plus I'd like to be able to compare notes on some of the more popular blends. All in due time, I suppose.
Thank you for sharing your experience!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Take your time. Take it easy. You're trying this out, not marrying it. If it pleases you, venture a little further. A MM cob is a good pipe, and your blends sound good.

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
Where are you at in MI? I notice you said you smoked on campus. Perhaps there is a club, formal and sanctioned or not, on campus? If not, I bet there are instructors and other students who smoke a pipe.
I think you will find the improvements come quickly as well. It may take a little longer since you are new to smoking, period, where I had extensive experience with cigarettes, cigars, and uh, other combustibles before I started the pipe. However, my first experience was also pretty underwhelming. Flavor-wise, it was completely different from what I was expecting, and coming from cigars and cigarettes, I expected to be blowing larger clouds of smoke. All I could really taste was Latakia, which was fine, but not as interesting as I'd hoped. However, with each bowl, I get a bit better and enjoy the experience a bit more. So don't get discouraged.
I might also suggest a straight Virginia or VaPer non-aromatic. Virginias have a natural sweetness, and perique is a trip, and has a flavor all its own. I have been using both as components in my cigarette blends, and I can't do without them. Orlik Golden Sliced was an enjoyable Virginia flake that I tried.

macaroon

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 2, 2015
Michigan
Heh, I will try not to think too hard about it, MSO. Point taken!
I'm at Michigan State University, currently majoring in mechanical engineering. I have seen nothing thus far regarding pipes, though I have of course seen cigarettes in abundance and I believe I've caught a few whiffs of those "other combustibles." But I'll keep an eye out to be sure.
Latakia definitely interests me; campfires yield one of my very favorite smells, so if the stories are true I think I will like english blends. I have read that straight virginias and some burley-forward blends remind many people of cigarettes. Do you find that to be true?

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
I have read that straight virginias and some burley-forward blends remind many people of cigarettes. Do you find that to be true?
Yes and no. Most factory cigarettes these days are made of a combination of Virginias and Burleys, sometimes with a bit of very questionable Turkish. They also use reconstituted sheet tobacco (think shredded tobacco pulp), and are loaded with additives. They're mostly awful at this point. As a hand-roller, my Virginia blends (a la Daughters & Ryan Three Sails) do share some similarities with Virginia pipe blends. They both definitely share a sweetness, an easy burning (sometimes too easy) quality, and a beautiful golden color. In my experience, true Virginia pipe blends, though non-aromatics, are sweetened more than dual purpose or rolling tobacco Virginias. My favorite cigarette blend is a halfzware, which is a 50/50 mix of Virginias and Dark Fire Cured Kentucky which is a burley tobacco that is cured over fires until very dark.
If you like camp fire like flavors, I would definitely reccomend some blends with Dark Fired Kentucky. There are a great many pipe blends that make use of this excellent and intriguing tobacco. My current tastes prefer it to Latakia rather considerably. Latakia is dryer and less sweet than DFK. So far, I find the aroma of non-smoked Latakia much more intriguing than its actual taste. I suspect that will change with experience. I hope so because I respect the artisans who are still doing things the traditional way in Syria, Cyprus, etc.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
My more general curiosity is sated, but I continue to wonder if there is much more to it than this.
Yep. Lots more. When you sip in some smoke, let it drift out of your nose. You will get a lot more of the flavor notes. This is especially helpful if you smoke outdoors, as I do.
Michigan State? Did you take any political science classes? My brother was the chairman of the department.

macaroon

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 2, 2015
Michigan
Michigan State? Did you take any political science classes? My brother was the chairman of the department.

Alas I have not. It would have been cool to make the connection. And I will always be smoking outside, I think, so I will keep your advice in mind!

beerandbaccy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 22, 2015
UK
Great to see more people take up this hobby! I'm fairly new - about 30 - 40 bowls in, just bought my 8th pipe and have about 9 tobaccos (not all open)
I love it but only smoke 3-4 bowls a week, it will probably go up a bit once I knock the roll-up cigs on the head on New Years Eve! My progression in enjoyment has gone up quickly after 20 bowls. Once you don't really have to try or actively think about it too much it is a soothing and stress busting hobby!
My advice don't worry about anything too much - pipes going out, tongue burn, smoking too quickly etc these things tend to sort themselves out in my limited experience especially searching this board for advice from previous posts - a real friendly mine of information!
Welcome to the Brotherhood of the Briar! :puffy:

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
Welcome to the hobby and forum. If you're going to be smoking outside I'd suggest buying a couple of pipe caps. They're cheap insurance against burnout. Let us know how you're progressing and good luck with your studies.

bulldogbriar89

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 3, 2014
First off welcome to the SD it, and to the hobby. Just like MSO said take it slow the art of pipe smoking is something that comes over time. You will learn how to tamp and sip on your pipe. I watched you tube videos and looked on forums like this and they helped me learn.

macaroon

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 2, 2015
Michigan
Three more bowls into my journey, flavor has started to make an appearance! I have finally been able to ID the tobacco as a having a chocolate flavor, which could be smelled and even tasted through the general smoke flavorlessness. Plus packing the pipe is starting to make more sense. I'm going to limit myself to smoking only on weekends, but for now I am pleased with how this is progressing.

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
Three more bowls into my journey, flavor has started to make an appearance! I have finally been able to ID the tobacco as a having a chocolate flavor, which could be smelled and even tasted through the general smoke flavorlessness. Plus packing the pipe is starting to make more sense.
Right on! I suspected you'd catch on pretty quickly. It just gets better and better. My enjoyment of the pipe is miles ahead of my first couple bowls. May I ask why you'll only be smoking on the weekends?

blackbeard

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 13, 2015
As I get deeper into pipe smoking it has only gotten better. I also dont give up on a tobacco after the first bowl. About three in, I wil make more of a decision. I hated Ole Shenandoah Barrel No. 76 at first; waited a coulple of days and tried again; around the fourt bowl Iwas really picking up a nutty taste and it was smooth enough. Still not my favorite, but initial impression was kicked out. Many here on the forums have helped me tremendously to make it a better experience as well. Welcome, and have fun!
As for the ashy taste, i make sure to stop about 3/4 down into my cobs to avoid it. Seems to have been an issue with them for me, but not so much with my briars. May be smoking too fast as well, on a windy day take it easier.

macaroon

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 2, 2015
Michigan
danimalia, I decided to only indulge on the weekends primarily to keep my exposure very solidly in the "moderate" category, and so that when I smoke I have plenty of time to enjoy it and not be worrying much about homework or the like. On top of that, it gives me something a little extra to look forward to!
I also dont give up on a tobacco after the first bowl.

That's a very good point. Like I said, it took two or three bowls before I even realized what flavor I was supposed to be looking for! And of course thank you for the kind welcome.

pritch13

Might Stick Around
Sep 15, 2015
Welcome!
I am also fairly new and have learnt a great deal from asking tons of questions on the forum. I may only be pushing about 20 bowls at the moment, but there are 3 things id advise you to do to get the most out of your new hobby early on.
1) Look up the frank method of filling the bowl, it greatly increased taste for me and i hardly ever have to relight.

2) Dry your tobacco out, even if it feels dry. I have left tobacco out for 2 days and it was probably one of the best tasting bowls i have ever had.

3) Look into retro haling. Take a tiny sip of your pipe, breathe in through your nose and slowly breathe back out of your nose. The taste really comes out well. Only a very small sip though.
As for aromatics, like you will see everywhere online, get a sample of lane 1q. Its a great smoke and i dont think i have heard anyone say they dislike it

macaroon

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 2, 2015
Michigan
Ah yes, the Frank method, I believe I've happened upon that at some point. Thank you for the reminder! And so far letting the tobacco sit out to dry has not been incorporated into my routine, but I'll be sure to give that a shot as well and experiment a little. At my rate a single ounce of the ol' toby will last me a while, so I don't know when my next purchase will take place, but 1Q as well as a few other Lane blends are certainly on my short list of things to try!

Status
Not open for further replies.