PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

frennchy11

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 28, 2011
Anybody use one of these? I picked a couple up and sold one to a friend but haven't actually smoked one. Just wondering if I should bother restoring it.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
Hey Frennchy11, it depends entirely on whether it is made of briar or (heaven forbid) Brylon.

The Yello-Bole pipes with Brylon bowls are notoriously hot smokers.

I have no personal knowledge of them.

I know them only by repudiation repitation.

:puffy:

harrier52

Can't Leave
Aug 7, 2011
The briar ones smoke well. My brother loves his. But Lawrence is right Brylon sucks pretty bad.

jaysin

Lifer
Feb 8, 2012
Indiana
Brylons are very light and shiny have a plastic feel to them. well you know why.....

As i seen it put on here if you can drive a nail with it its brylon.

I have 2 brylons yes they smoke hot but for what i paid 2 bucks each they make great fishing pipes lol drop em in the lake who cares.

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
I recently purchased an antique Yellobole pipe. My impression was mixed: I smoked some of the new Edgeworth Ready Rub match in it to try it out. The draw was excellent, even though I left the stinger in place. I detected faint hints of honey, since some of the Yellobole coating remains inside. The bowl got HOT; I imagine that was due to the the thick coating of varnish on the outside (it predates Brylon by about 30 years). The yellow plastic bit was a little thicker than I like, and I like P-lips, so that's fairly thick. The tobacco smoke, however, was cool, and I was able to enjoy the flavor of it, reminded me a little of the old Edgeworth, and I only needed one relight midway through.

I plan on removing the varnish to see if it smokes cooler, as the varnish is damaged in spots anyway, and going back over it with Halcyon wax. It isn't the jewel of my collection, but it is a serviceable pipe, and the distinctive yellow stem makes it stand out. I recommend trying yours out, you might find that that it's not as bad as all that.

74901e92.jpg

bobby46

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 11, 2012
My most used out-and-about is a Yello-bole carburetor. To me, it symbolizes the era it was manufactured in. I cannot attest to the functionality of the brass-fitting draft hole at bowl bottom. I use it exclusively outdoors with OTC burley which is surely not a trial for any pipe staying lit. The measure of worth on these (and their mass-produced all-american bretheren) is essentially in its sentimental and intrinsic value as a smoking implement. They are what they are. End-value would surely be a factor on restoration.
rigmedic1, Your pipe (that tastes like honey and inner bowl is still yellow) is (from your description) not broken-in. So I think it unfair to say it burns hot. Give it a chance to prove itself.

jchaplick

Lifer
May 8, 2011
I have to say, I have had two brylons, one I gave to a friend, the other I still have. I honestly dont have any problem with my brylon, there is a cake in it, and to be honest, its a great little smoker. I know brylon has some bad reputations but not from me, I like mine.
Granted I dont smoke it everyday, its pretty ugly, but it makes a great truck pipe

brewshooter

Lifer
Jun 2, 2011
I have to say, I have had two brylons, one I gave to a friend, the other I still have. I honestly dont have any problem with my brylon, there is a cake in it, and to be honest, its a great little smoker. I know brylon has some bad reputations but not from me, I like mine.
I agree, yes it is a little heavier than a briar and it does get hot, but mine smokes great! I've got a couple of MM hardwoods and a Pride in a little tackle box. Those are my camping pipes, but when I'm traveling anywhere else I take the Yello-bole. Took a trip to Hawaii a couple months back and threw it in my pipe bag with a bit of Angler's Dream and I was a happy man!

Status
Not open for further replies.