PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I found this near Yello Bole Sandblast Author last week at a Pennsylvania flea market. I've enjoyed working on Yello Bole's owned by other pipe forum friends, but not yet found one for myself. This little Author fits nicely into my collection of Rhodesian/Authors.
I detailed the restoration here:

http://rebornpipes.com/2015/05/05/yello-bole-sandblast-author-restoration/
Before:
yello_bole_before.jpg

yello_bole_before-1.jpg

yello_bole_before-2.jpg

After:
yello_bole_finished.jpg

yello_bole_finished-4.jpg

yello_bole_finished-3.jpg

yello_bole_finished-1.jpg

yello_bole_finished-2.jpg

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Nice Al ! I like the fact that the older Yello Boles seem to be getting a lot of attention here lately.

oldredbeard

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 20, 2012
Nice Al ! I like the fact that the older Yello Boles seem to be getting a lot of attention here lately.
+1 Very nice Al, and I agree Ed, they deserve the attention they're getting too. Fine smoking pipes.

K

klause

Al, that is a quite beautiful little pipe - and a cracking clean-up job. Bravo.
It looks like a great pipe to pop in a pocket, and take on long walks, stopping every now and then, to sit with it, contemplating the walk so far, the scene in front of you, and the way still to go - smiling all the while.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
When did Yello-Bole stop making a nice selection of briar pipes and why? They still make a few, like the Checker, if you can find them, but seem to be mostly coasting on the synthetic brylon materials. Forums members have never been able to figure out who buys these in quantity enough to keep them in business. Nice job on that pipe, a really nifty compact design. The old briar carvers at YB must have all retired to smoke their briars. Nice pipes if you can get them. I like my little Checker panel pot.

okiescout

Lifer
Jan 27, 2013
Forums members have never been able to figure out who buys these in quantity enough to keep them in business.

+1, mso489. Guys scrabbling for the older product and on we go with synthetic. Don't confuse me with the facts mam, I have already made up my mind :roll:

gtclark

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 3, 2013
Well done! Always good to see an old pipe brought back to life.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
@tarak: Yello Bole sandblasts have a shellac/varnish type finish, so they shine nicely, even by hand. Buroak (I think!) recently posted one that he stripped the finish. But it revealed some fills. I didn't want to risk that, so I left the finish.

beefeater33

Lifer
Apr 14, 2014
Central Ohio
Nice little Yello Bole Al! I have not seen that YB shape very often. Great job on the restore, bet its a good smoker.

I'm really warming to those old YB's of late............

Status
Not open for further replies.