PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
I saw this pipe listed on ebay. What caught my eye was the Yello-Bole stamp with the old "propeller" log on the stem. It made me think the pipe could be a lot older than it looked. So I put a five dollar bid on the lot of two pipes and won them both.
After getting the pipe in front of me and cleaned up, I was able to do a little research and found out that logo was used later than I thought. One source said the Premier pipes had it into the mid 60's. So this pipe could be only fifty years old.
It has a push stem with a small metal stinger.
Yello-bolePremier_zps387132ce.jpg

As you can see it is rather trim looking. The length of the pipe is about seven inches and the bowl height is 1.5 inches. The other no-name pipe that came with this one is also on the dainty side. I'm thinking they would make excellent "girlfriend" pipes :) Maybe I'll give it to my wife if I ever get her interested in smoking pipes.

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
Tuold:
This looks like it could be Yello-Bole's take on the Merchant Service Special pipe favored by Mr. Bing Crosby. My Merchant Service Special measures 6.75" in length, 1.75" in height, 1.125" in width, and its shank is 2.125" long. Does yours have a thin-walled bowl? That was the other feature that the "Crosby" pipe was known for.

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
@huntertrw,
I would say the bowl thickness is in proportion to its size at around 5/16". The shank is shorter then the Crosby pipe specs you quote at around 1 5/16". The five inch stem gives it a sleek look. I don't think it would carry well on the golf course, but not being a golfer I don't know anything about that. :) I should try it sometime.
1-premierclose_zpsca6be1dd.jpg

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
Thanks! I've been getting some really good deals recently. Just got a pipe rack/tobacco jar combo complete with a Dr Grabow "Van Roy" pipe for five bucks. I almost feel guilty winning these auctions.

andya27

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 15, 2014
I continue to see this marque on ebay and sometimes see them sell for a fair amount of money. I'm too new to the hobby to know much about vintage pipes and what makes a vintage pipe desirable. This one looks quite nice, and if your wife isn't interested, I hope you will give it a smoke.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
what makes a vintage pipe desirable
so many things. Many are hand made works of art using material that is no longer available. Certain brands increase in value like classic cars. You can get a very nice quality smoker for cheap and have something of historical craftsmanship in your rotation.

I see lot's of folks restore/refurbish and resell at a profit. I can see that that would be an enjoyable pastime.

irish

Lifer
Aug 12, 2011
Texas
tuold I can't see the nomemclature in the pic but if it has KB&B on the stem before Yello-bole it has to be before 1955. Also all the sources I have and have reserched KB&B never used the "propeller" logo on the stem passed the 1940's, of course I could be dead wrong as I am not an expert but I think your original assessment of the pipe being older is true. Very cool looking pipe. I would smoke it!! All my propeller logo YB 's are excellent smokers.

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
@Gary, it does indeed have KB&B in the clover leaf. It also says "Cured with real honey", and then "Premier" stamped in cursive. Under that is "Imported Briar"

irish

Lifer
Aug 12, 2011
Texas
Well there is no doubt then that it was made before 1955 as KB&B sold to S.M. Frank in 55 and the KB&B emblem was no longer used. Personally I think it was made in the late 30's or early 40's. I do not believe the propeller was ever used after the 40's. Nice score. Hope it smokes great for you.

torque

Can't Leave
May 21, 2013
I have a couple of old Demuths (WDC) from around that same time period that are quite "petite" as well. My old Milano is constructed exactly like your YB. Long, very narrow and sleek looking stem with a thin-walled petite stummel. I wonder if that wasn't a rather common construction style for American manufacturers of the time especially with how hard briar was to procure during the war.

Status
Not open for further replies.