PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
I got this "Group 0" KB&B Yello Bole sometime back. Does anyone know why a pipe this small would even be made? Was it some sort of salesman sample? Doesn't look like it's ever been smoked but it has been chewed on a bit.
tinyYelloBole_zps3ef1f55e.jpg

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
I think what you have is a "Pup" Yello-Bole, the counterpart to the Kaywoodie "Colt" pipes. From what I have seen with my own eyes, the way to distinguish a Pup from a salesman sample is by looking at the draft hole. If the draft hole looks to be of a normal diameter, you have a Pup. If the draft hole looks impractically small, you have a salesman sample. I could be wrong on this distinction - my sample size of salesman samples vs. consumer Pups/Colts is extremely small.
If you have a Pup, enjoy it. They are great little nosewarmer/pocket pipes.
Also, for the sake of curiosity, does this pipe have a stinger?

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
I dug through my drawer of Yello Bole pipes and found a "Pug". It has a different logo on the stem and what I think is a more unique "short snorter" type of shape. So I don't know.
I just went to twist the stem off and see if has a stinger and it broke off in my hands! Oh well...It needed some work anyway. It just needs a little more now. :)

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
tuold, I'm so glad you asked. That was my attitude toward small pipes, for decades. They were toys, souvenirs,

novelties. Then I was instructed by Forums member fishnbanjo, after seeing, over time, his fabulous collection

of artisanal pipes, that many or most were small. So I decided I'd better order a small (Group 1) pipe and see

why. I think my first was a Peterson rusticated Belgique, then a Ewa churchwarden, then an Old Dominion

Chesapeake cob (or is it Laughing King...the little one anyway). These are great pipes, for a short smoke outside

the venue at a bluegrass festival (or whatever music you fancy), for appetizer or dessert bowls around a larger

bowl pipe with a different blend, to sample blends at a pipe show, to try full strength tobacco to take its measure,

to smoke flake and plug which is slower burning ... and so on. So many ways to enjoy small pipes, along with your

medium bowls and extra large. If you have more than six or seven pipes, you ought to have a really small one.

Status
Not open for further replies.